• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, one of the key things it is waiting on is Rugby Australia.

WSR is not intended to be a "rebel" league. The preference is that it should be an Aus domiciled competition, and if that is to be the case then RA need to approve.

RA don't really want to get on board while Super rugby is uncertain and some juice remains in it. The soup hasn't turned to dust yet, it's still mud!

So they want to delay past the post-2020 Sanzaar decision that's meant to be made in the next few months, according to Steve Tew.

The World Series Rugby teams being canvassed are not greenfield entities, they don't start from zero. But any 2019 WSR comp will start (if it starts) at a realistic playing standard. It will be below the current soup. A lot of rugby's general focus will be on the RWC next year, but 2020 will be where it begins to get interesting.
It does not haver to be Super Rugby standard to be successful as if it can promote good rivalries between different sides involved and provide uncertainty of outcome with other entertainment package in, it can be successful.

And in time as you say could grow to be and even surpass Super Rugby standard but definitely that is not the key criteria for success at the moment, particularly as putting a lot teams in who don't have professional team environment or have great home appeal (e.g. Japanese teams) to support.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It does not haver to be Super Rugby standard to be successful as if it can promote good rivalries between different sides involved and provide uncertainty of outcome with other entertainment package in, it can be successful.

Indeed, and if teams keep the ball alive like the Drua did last week, or Panasonic did in Perth a few weeks back; then we could really be on to something here.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Getting so late to announce teams and wsr competition for next year one does wonder if at risk of not proceeding next year.

I wonder what date would be cut off for that possibility..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I wonder if what really is happening, is that RA just might be trying to accommodate the Force back in Super post 2020.

As trying to manage players and comps with WSR will cause them to lose control.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I wonder if what really is happening, is that RA just might be trying to accommodate the Force back in Super post 2020.

As trying to manage players and comps with WSR will cause them to lose control.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk
Nah super rugby dead so I suspect they realise doing super rugby thing of foot in 2 comps best short term until see which Comp or new competition offers best value to align to

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don’t understand some of this articles comments about western Sydney team needing to be not poaching Shute shield players. As this is a professional Sydney based team and would create more pathways opportunities for Shute shield players to grow interest in Shute shield.

I really struggle to understand some of the thinking of SRU and is probably a reflection why our code is struggling in oz because of this dumb arse view.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I don’t understand some of this articles comments about western Sydney team needing to be not poaching Shute shield players. As this is a professional Sydney based team and would create more pathways opportunities for Shute shield players to grow interest in Shute shield.

I really struggle to understand some of the thinking of SRU and is probably a reflection why our code is struggling in oz because of this dumb arse view.

You do wonder, they want the benefits as long as we don't have to do anything, and being concerned about long term commitment. So welcome Forrest as long as you pay for everything all the time,forever.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

One of the stated goals early on was to bring back Australian eligible players to compete in WSR. Maybe a bargain could be struck to guarantee all Australian eligible players in this WS team would also be eligible for Wallaby selection. There are quite a number plying their trade overseas. I think part of this restriction is to not stretch the talent pool thinner than it already is.

That said, there's opportunity here for WSR via creating links with the clubs in the region. Lot's of talent exists out this way. They could in essence help set up a Western Sydney competition if they were ambitious enough.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hey guys, I'm often amused by the thread nazies, but right now we have an answer to "where to for Twiggy rugby?" The answer is "WSR?"

And we have a brand new thread for it.

Just saying.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
WSR = Western Sydney Rugby. Long may it reign. Or should that be "rain" dollars that aren't falling in western Sydney ATM by the ARU.

Status
Not open for further replies.