• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'd say 5 of the 6 teams are the Force, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai, Hong Kong & Singapore - given Twiggy's mining connections.​

The other that takes it up the 6, and the third than accounts for the "quickly expand to 7 teams" is the big question.

The Japanese Top League season runs from Mid August to Mid January, so there is definitely potential interest there, especially with there being no overlap in seasons.

I very much doubt Papworth & Co. would want the Rams competing in a competition that would be played alongside their treasured Shute Shield. It makes no commercial sense unless TwiggyRugby is played on a Wednesday, and that makes no sense for TwiggyRugby itself.

The Fijians would definitely add a competitive element to the competition, that's for sure. Although considering they don't really sit in the "Twiggysphere", I doubt they'd be involved unless WR (World Rugby) were to extend their NRC funding. Ideally you'd want involvement from all 3.. (Japan, Pacific Islands & another Australian team)

I'd actually put my money on Colombo being lucky number 6th.

Japan, Fiji & the Rams don't make much sense logistically or contractually for their respective owners & unions.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So my thinking it will be a semi pro type comp but yes less than Super Rugby standard and because of where at in the planning a lot of the leading Force players will jump ship to look at other oz Super Rugby teams or overseas. But regardless it does provide another pathway for WA players and something to build on, and something for WA fans to watch to replace Super Rugby, that could be more over time and moreso post 2020 when current Super Rugby broadcast deal expires.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Red Baron, off topic a bit, but Aus were on top at the time of World Series Cricket, (we're talking Lillee, Thommo, chappels, Walters, Marsh et al) a mantle that the Windies then grabbed and held for about 20 years!

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
On the South African involvement, (ignoring the timezone issue for the moment) what if Twiggy proposed that they could field teams without racial quotas?

Also, what sort of South African team can currently be fielded by bringing all foreign-based players back?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well on kick and chase - they outlined a foxsports poll on support for new Indo Pacific Comp which came in at 90%. Now what do you think the response would be for a poll that asked for support for Oz involvement in Super Rugby....doubt anywhere near.

Hence, Indo Pacific comp - even as semi pro competition could do alright if set up well - ok not Super Rugby level crowds etc - but again if semi pro does not need to be.

Punters want it so lets see what TF comes up with.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems a very astute move, basically he is stealing all of Aus future growth areas, and NZ for that matter.
Making all the contacts, broadcasters etc. Basically, potentially over a few years locking it up to some degree.

The ARU and NZRU would kill for someone to come in and spend huge money developing the game and wider interest in Asia. Neither of those unions will ever have the money to do it themselves but will reap the benefits if it happens.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
What? Just theorising.

Look it's silly. Do you think SANZAAR holds the Saffer teams to racial quotas? Nor would "IPL". But nothing here is going to change Saffer politics.

OK build a team of Saffer expats, not based in RSA, they won't be subject to quota either. Even if playing Soup.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Look it's silly. Do you think SANZAAR holds the Saffer teams to racial quotas? Nor would "IPL". But nothing here is going to change Saffer politics.

Where did I say that SANZAAR hold them to racial quotas? I know the SA government does that. Seeing as this is a rebel competition, I'm saying what if the rebel teams had no quotas, as they would be unsanctioned by the government anyway.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Where did I say that SANZAAR hold them to racial quotas? I know the SA government does that. Seeing as this is a rebel competition, I'm saying what if the rebel teams had no quotas, as they would be unsanctioned by the government anyway.

Mate I'm not being adversarial, not intentionally anyway. If the Saffer team was based in RSA it doesn't matter whether rugby sanctioned it or not, it's domestic law.

Still why do some people think Twiggy Rugby would be unsanctioned?

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Mate I'm not being adversarial, not intentionally anyway. If the Saffer team was based in RSA it doesn't matter whether rugby sanctioned it or not, it's domestic law.

Nah that's ok mate, I understand. I didn't know that. No worries.;)

Reactions: dru

bedandbreakfast

Stan Wickham (3)
Too many teams from the wrong timezones.

I would think the AP Dragons in Singapore and a team in Hong Kong would be in the initial six.

I have:
Western Force
Asia Pacific Dragons (Singapore)
Hong Kong
Western Sydney Rams

Then two from:
Sydney Rays
NSW Country Eagles
Canberra Vikings
Fijian Drua
Combined Brisbane Clubs

I think WA/Force would be the only Aussie team starting off. Maybe South Aus after that. Also dont forget China.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
For all the words of Rebel competition - I doubt it will be a Rebel Competition but will have ARU endorsement as per previous discussions with the ARU in Adelaide where they pledged support for the Force to establish alternative international competition. Seriously why would the ARU be against this given all their eggs are in the Super Rugby dicey basket and someone else is paying for the testing of another international competition that could provide growth for rugby in this country and alternative plan post 2020 (should it succeed).

dru

Tim Horan (67)
For all the words of Rebel competition - I doubt it will be a Rebel Competition but will have ARU endorsement as per previous discussions with the ARU in Adelaide where they pledged support for the Force to establish alternative international competition. Seriously why would the ARU be against this given all their eggs are in the Super Rugby dicey basket and someone else is paying for the testing of another international competition that could provide growth for rugby in this country and alternative plan post 2020 (should it succeed).

Can you imagine the reaction, after ARU rejected Twiggy's Force fund, if they also vetoed his attempt at self funding a comp like this?

It'll be "sanctioned".

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
At the very least, I think they should try to do this without any New Zealand involvement in the initial years. It would give the Perth rugby community an opportunity to come together behind the new team first and foremost, rather than the crowd split it's had with the Force vs Kiwi franchises.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
At the very least, I think they should try to do this without any New Zealand involvement in the initial years. It would give the Perth rugby community an opportunity to come together behind the new team first and foremost, rather than the crowd split it's had with the Force vs Kiwi franchises.

I know it's not a popular view, and the theory of trans Tasman is popular in Aus, but why do we need NZ for "2nd Tier" pro rugby in Aus? If we can fund it, let's go.

OK, ok, Kiwis are a massive draw card. You'd listen if they spoke up. But that is not happening quickly. And if Twiggy is ready to go; LET'S GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.