• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Who should be the next ARU CEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
In light of John O'Neill's recent resignation, who should the next ARU CEO be?

The challenges facing Australia rugby are well discussed on this forum. There is a disconnect between the grassroots and professional arms of the game. Politicking and distrust is common. Rival codes are enjoy unprecedented publicity and financial windfalls. The 'entertainment' factor of the game has waned and the bandwagon supporters in places such as NSW have moved on. Our trophy cabinet lacks the Bledisloe and Bill.

However there are also a lot of positives for the game. A Governance Review has been completed and hopefully implemented. We have a Lions Tour in 2013 and another RWC in 2015. More people are playing rugby in Australia than ever before. Sevens rugby is a gateway to a broader player and supporter base. We have a chance to win a 7s World Cup in 2013 and Olympic medals in 2016.

What type of candidate could steer us through these times? Do we need someone with a rugby background who understands the lay of the land or do we need someone outside the fraternity who may bring a fresh approach?

Who do you think should be the next ARU CEO?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
If I can answer my own question, I'm going to throw a wild card in.
Brian Cook - CEO of the Geelong Football Club (AFL)

· 1986 National Sport Researcher Coordinator with the Australian Sports Commission
· 1987 CEO of West Australian Football Commission
· 1990 CEO of West Coast Eagles. During his time with the Eagles membership quadrupled and the team won the flag in 1992 and 1994
· In 1999 he became the CEO of the Geelong Football Club. When he took over the club was $7m in debt and has subsequently posted a profit for each year after. Turnover went from $16m to $50m. During his tenure Geelong won three flags 2007, 2009, 2011.
He is highly regarded in AFL circles, his name is mentioned as a possible future AFL CEO. Currently North Melbourne (AFL) is trying to poach him.
The majority of his career has been within the club side of the sport. Could he make the transition to a CEO of a Code? If not the Western Force would do very well to try and lure him to the West again.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure who would be best, but from what I have seen AFL tends to have some very very good people running thier sport, be nice if some of that could be tapped into. I personally think Cartwright in Qld, ex AFL man is the type of preson to go for, and as IS says I also think Demitiou would be bloody good.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Demitriou: however much it costs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Andrew Demetriou is a fantastic administrator, but he is AFL through and through. While I do not think that rugby has to just shuffle one of the old boys through the network, I think a rugby background of some sort is desirable. Just to have an affinity for the game; they need not be a career rugby trough-snuffler.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Gill McLachlan, Vlad's right-hand man. He knocked back the NRL, however might prefer the challenge of our game.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
I am thinking of applying for the role. But aside from me I have no idea.

Would John Eales be suited for the role?

Would they go for a non-Australian????

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think rugby is better suited to have a business person as CEO rather than a sports administrator. JON had a banking background and made a successful transition. It would help if they had an interest in rugby too but that wouldn't necessarily be essential.

D

daz

I think rugby is better suited to have a business person as CEO rather than a sports administrator. JON had a banking background and made a successful transition. It would help if they had an interest in rugby too but that wouldn't necessarily be essential.

I tend to agree with that line of thinking. I think the CEO should be a business leader. A leader of men, who has vision and the smarts and proven ability to know how to get things done. He also needs to be a powerful figurehead who commands respect. He doesn't have to love the game, but it would help.

The CEO can then have a National Rugby Operations Manager and a National Business Commercial Manager as part of his lead-team. This Ops Manager should have a background in managing the sporting side of the code and the Commercial Manager should have a history of financial strategic achievement.

One name: Peter Cosgrove.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Was told some years ago by someone closely assocaited with ARU marketing that Matt Carroll was a fair bit to do with John O'Neills success. He perhaps has not been given the credit he deserves. As I said this was second hand but from an outsider who had no bias either way. Maybe the 2IC for years deserves a chance. I admit it would give the younger bright sparks in the organisation a big lift if they were seen to be promoting from within.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The issue you can run into with a pure CEO is that they may not think long term enough. It even happens with listed companies, where their goals are year to year and the longer term gets missed a little.

We need a business man that is also passionate about the game of rugby and growing it in this country.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I tend to agree with that line of thinking. I think the CEO should be a business leader. A leader of men, who has vision and the smarts and proven ability to know how to get things done. He also needs to be a powerful figurehead who commands respect. He doesn't have to love the game, but it would help.

The CEO can then have a National Rugby Operations Manager and a National Business Commercial Manager as part of his lead-team. This Ops Manager should have a background in managing the sporting side of the code and the Commercial Manager should have a history of financial strategic achievement.

One name: Peter Cosgrove.

How did you say all that then suggest Cosgrove?

D

daz

Gill McLachlan, Vlad's right-hand man. He knocked back the NRL, however might prefer the challenge of our game.

Nah, he wants to run the biggest sporting code in Oz and by default, become one of the most powerful and influencial men in Oz business.

Give him 5 years as AFL supremo then ask him to have a go at Rugby.:D

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We need a business man that is also passionate about the game of rugby and growing it in this country.

I think this is crucial.

It also shouldn't be too hard to find.

There are plenty of people with a rugby background who have been successful in business.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
You don't think Cosgrove is a leader of men, commands respect or knows how to get things done using a good team of people?

He is, but your first line was 'business leader'. Not sure he has obtained that status yet?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The issue you can run into with a pure CEO is that they may not think long term enough. It even happens with listed companies, where their goals are year to year and the longer term gets missed a little.

Good point, 3rd tier immediately comes to mind.
Short term pain long term gain, is never a consideration when the CEO has a 3 year contract.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Maybe the guy from the Macquarie Bank advertisements. He seems passionate about rugby, after all his mug appears every time I try to watch a game on Fox.

Status
Not open for further replies.