• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Why is Marto employed as a commentator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
those guys are funny for sure, but to listen during a game? I hated it even when I was still watching league (are you watching a game or listening to a comedy program? I mean realistically you can't do both)

That of course was with league which IS a kind of comedy really so I imagine it would be tens times worse with union.

anyway, that's just my own personal thoughts on it.

What does surprise me somewhat is that hg would even know union exists...doubt he is actually a fan, all I have ever heard him talk about is league. It worries me just a tad that IF he is not a fan and prefers league there might be snide remarks or backhands in there?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Context: just watched the end of the 1989 3rd test

Impressions: That pass was about (no time clock or anything) 5 minutes into the second half (always assumed it was the last 5) and Campos performance from then on was normal, Marto got run over at least once. And Campo had every chance to ground it for a 22 kick, but it looked like Marto called for it but was covered and Campo shouldn't of passed it but taken it on himself .

Wondering: if the pub I'm going to tonight can change the coverage to FTA so I (we) can listen to Buddha - GO YOU GOOD THINGS

Where was Buddha? I switched over to Ch 10 until the ads got the better of me, and regrettably had to revert to foxtel. I didn't hear the big fella when I was on Ch 10.

Would love to have been able to put Roy and HG on the stereo to simulcast with the Fox/Ch 10 feed on mute.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Where was Buddha? I switched over to Ch 10 until the ads got the better of me, and regrettably had to revert to foxtel. I didn't hear the big fella when I was on Ch 10.

Would love to have been able to put Roy and HG on the stereo to simulcast with the Fox/Ch 10 feed on mute.

Well Buddha was on Ch 7 this AM so evidently he didnt go with the package.
i stopped listening to Roy & HG - they were a little lame, im afraid: i guess nothing lasts forever....

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Why didn't you watch on the channel with the Sky commentary? That's what we did, until the last few minutes of the game, when we switched to Ten to get some patriotic commentary to boost our spirits.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Why didn't you watch on the channel with the Sky commentary? That's what we did, until the last few minutes of the game, when we switched to Ten to get some patriotic commentary to boost our spirits.

Your red button works?

Do you need a special subscription (all I have is bog standard)

It does not work for me so I have to stick with the usual foxtel commentary.

(I presume you meant the british commentators)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Your red button works?

Dunno. Try looking at channels 505, or 506 next week.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Was it any good? Didn't change myself to get my Sharpie fix but have come to just switch off to the rest of them.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
Your red button works?

Were you watching live or on delay? From my experience during this Lions tour the Sky commentary only works when watching live.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
live of course!!

It's not as if I'm gagging to get away from the usual guys but certainly was curious.

No big deal really, I presume it will be happening with the rebels so will give it one more shot and see. About the only thing that pops into my head is I may have been trying during the pre match stuff? You know, the give you the heads up and I give it a go but possibly (as you mentioned) it only occurs at kick off.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
People, I had the misfortune to endure the last 10 minutes of 9's league last night: just be thankful you didn't have to listen to Rabbits Warren complaining about his mother in law giving him undies for his birthday and discussing with Gould what time the latter was going to Brisvegas on Wednesday.

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
People, I had the misfortune to endure the last 10 minutes of 9's league last night: just be thankful you didn't have to listen to Rabbits Warren complaining about his mother in law giving him undies for his birthday and discussing with Gould what time the latter was going to Brisvegas on Wednesday.

Inside Shoulder did you lose a bet? Otherwise, your time is surely more valuable than exhibiting such masochistic tendencies.

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
Well Buddha was on Ch 7 this AM so evidently he didnt go with the package.
i stopped listening to Roy & HG - they were a little lame, im afraid: i guess nothing lasts forever..
Watched it live at the pub and had to listen to the normal. Watched a recording of Ten yesterday and thought I heard him from the side line. Didn't watch any of the 1/2 time or stoppages (?spelling?) where he may of been obvious. If it was him definitely needs to get more time.

Ten v's Fox Commentary, Ten won hands down for me.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)

When I do that I get the alternative commentary, but the picture is not HD. Does anyone else experience this.
Hard choice, Marto and HD or No Marto and fuzzy picture.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
When I do that I get the alternative commentary, but the picture is not HD. Does anyone else experience this.
Hard choice, Marto and HD or No Marto and fuzzy picture.

well yeah, my picture goes funny too (cept I don't even get the commentary) Not fuzzy as in your case, but the aspect ratio goes nuts, to fix have to turn the unit off ans wait for it to boot up again.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I have officially had a gutful of Greg Clark. For fuck's sakes, how many times do we need to hear that Damien Hill is being interviewed for his job? I am sick of the inane, cliched garbage that comes out of his mouth. He adds no insight or value to the commentary whatsoever.

I have made effective use of my red button so far this tour, in order to avoid my anti-Clark outburst. Looks like it is Barnes and Harrison for the second half.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I have officially had a gutful of Greg Clark. For fuck's sakes, how many times do we need to hear that Damien Hill is being interviewed for his job? I am sick of the inane, cliched garbage that comes out of his mouth. He adds no insight or value to the commentary whatsoever.

I have made effective use of my red button so far this tour, in order to avoid my anti-Clark outburst. Looks like it is Barnes and Harrison for the second half.

Its nearly as overworked as "try time".
I have found the poms commentators just a little subdued for my taste, although I was very impressed with Will Greenwood in the pre-match

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
About the only thing that pops into my head is I may have been trying during the pre match stuff? You know, the give you the heads up and I give it a go but possibly (as you mentioned) it only occurs at kick off.

well there it was, I must have been pressing the red button 'too early'.

Once the game had actually started they flashed the 'press red button' message and this time it worked. The picture did seem a bit worse too, but you quickly adjust to that.

They certainly had opinions on the reffing of the last test.

All in all will prob stick with the poms for the commentary methinks.

Christopher McDonald

Peter Burge (5)
Marto is biased but I do like him because he is funny. I respect Kafer's opinions a lot more however and it would be good to have him talk more.
The ideal person, I believe, would be Scott Allen because he has such an incredible understanding of the game and analyses it thoroughly.

Status
Not open for further replies.