• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Will Genia's injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
As far as the reds go, Frisby is pretty handy. Different style if player to Will. Lit up in those preseason game this year. Given the 5 months till kick off he'll fill in fine till Will get back.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Who was that guy who used to sit on the bench for the wallabies? Tah? Went to Top 14? Does anyone remember his name?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Anyone know if Burgess is worth getting back? Has he kept up his game or let it slip to French standards?

H

H...

i don't think i'd undermine the domestic-players only policy for luke burgess. that's assuming he'd be interested which I doubt.

we can't win TRC at this point, may as well throw in some noobs to see how they go.

Reactions: BDA

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Gee I don't know, Burgess might be worth a call. Phipps has a crisp pass, although it deserts him when under pressure. Sheehan has a buckload of niggle, but does not channel his aggression properly most of the time.

Although as the Top 14 season has already kicked off, it would be incredibly difficult to get Burgess back for the remainder of the RC.

A

AlexH

Ah fuck it! I blame everyone on here saying that there was no need for Phipps on the bench as he never gets used & Genia never gets injured. You lot put the mockers on him!!! :(
Speedy recovery Will, hope you're back for the start of the Super season.

Might have something to do with the fact that Phipps is shit [Rest of this comment has been removed by me. Sorry for stepping over the mark - AlexH].

Gentlemen, this is unacceptable and rather uncool lift your game - FP

Is Nic White injured still?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Gee I don't know, Burgess might be worth a call. Phipps has a crisp pass, although it deserts him when under pressure. Sheehan has a buckload of niggle, but does not channel his aggression properly most of the time.

Although as the Top 14 season has already kicked off, it would be incredibly difficult to get Burgess back for the remainder of the RC.

Agree on the difficulty of getting Burgess released. French clubs are probably the hardest to get players released from unless they have a clause in their contract and they don't allow too many of those.

I think it's a difficult one on picking players not playing domestically. Outside of Genia the standard of Aus scrumhalves playing in S15 isn't great. At the moment they're all much of a muchness but with Genia out it's an opportunity for someone to step up and set themselves apart from the pack.

If there was someone outstanding playing in the NH then I think exceptions should be made, as in the case of Pinaar for SA who on last season's form was probably the standout no. 9 in club rugby. But if someone isn't going to offer that kind of quality and is playing outside of S15 probably best to go with someone from S15. The way I'd look at the judgement call would be is Burgess going to be involved in the squad once Genia is back?, probably not.

So maybe it should be used as an opportunity to have a good look at what is available, fitness permitting, in S15 at the moment and at the very least it might be confirmed that 1 or 2 guys aren't up to test standard and who knows maybe 1 guy will really grab the opportunity.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Mate, if you want charity go to the Salvos. If you want an honest, albeit, opinionated appraisal welcome to online forums!

No one is looking for charity, but it is easy to forget they are for the most part young blokes doing their best. I am as guilty as anyone at times. I just think we should be wary of how we describe them.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Agree on the difficulty of getting Burgess released. French clubs are probably the hardest to get players released from unless they have a clause in their contract and they don't allow too many of those.

I think it's a difficult one on picking players not playing domestically. Outside of Genia the standard of Aus scrumhalves playing in S15 isn't great. At the moment they're all much of a muchness but with Genia out it's an opportunity for someone to step up and set themselves apart from the pack.

If there was someone outstanding playing in the NH then I think exceptions should be made, as in the case of Pinaar for SA who on last season's form was probably the standout no. 9 in club rugby. But if someone isn't going to offer that kind of quality and is playing outside of S15 probably best to go with someone from S15. The way I'd look at the judgement call would be is Burgess going to be involved in the squad once Genia is back?, probably not.

So maybe it should be used as an opportunity to have a good look at what is available, fitness permitting, in S15 at the moment and at the very least it might be confirmed that 1 or 2 guys aren't up to test standard and who knows maybe 1 guy will really grab the opportunity.
I think your approach is the correct one: I think it can be important to take your lumps as and when they are dealt as it tends to foster a feeling within the team that it is a team and in this case keeps faith with the blokes who stay behind, no doubt at a cost financially.
But, and it's a big but, has Deans got enough support from above to feel he can back this course at the risk of being shown the door if it goes pear shaped?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think your approach is the correct one: I think it can be important to take your lumps as and when they are dealt as it tends to foster a feeling within the team that it is a team and in this case keeps faith with the blokes who stay behind, no doubt at a cost financially.
But, and it's a big but, has Deans got enough support from above to feel he can back this course at the risk of being shown the door if it goes pear shaped?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a good point IS, I think Deans is under massive pressure for his position at the moment. If he wants to continue as Aus coach (I think he wants to stay until at least after the Lions series) he'll pull out all the stops to try to win the 3 remaining games in the RC and who can blame him. But it will be to the detriment of Aus Rugby in the long term. Whoever he picks will be who he thinks is the best available right now to win those tests. Whether Burgess is excluded on the basis of availability or Deans opinion we'll probably never know.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
With recycled NZRT halfback going to the Force next year, one of the development opportunities for a domestic #9 disappears.

It is not as if it is a position that we have a lot of lads knocking on the door for higher selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.