• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wise words at the post-Bledisloe IV press conferences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
With rugby being the most cerebral of sports, post-game press conferences in our sport are usually characterised by eloquence and erudition. By all reports Bledisloe IV was no exception.

Richie McCaw set a high standard with his pithy: "When you have a bad day at the office you just have to get straight back on the horse." That would have given the assembled journos cause to compare notes in case they had misheard.

But then Robbie Deans appeared to be almost channelling Donald Rumsfield's legendary "known unknowns" speech when he observed:

"James is one of those blokes who wants the ball in those moments as you saw with his carry, and that's what you want.

"The bloke who's got the ball you want to want to have the ball."

Kiwis are believed to have a genetic predisposition for these flights of oracular oratory, but if the discriminator is the degree of mindbogglingness, we are entitled to claim that our Kiwi out-performed their Kiwi. Robbie was certainly not found wanting.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
To be fair, some of the reporters and the questions they ask aren't always well-thought out or particularly insightful either.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
To be fair, some of the reporters and the questions they ask aren't always well-thought out or particularly insightful either.

Many of them are probably drunk by the time the press conference rolls on.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I love a mixed sporting metaphor, and Richie has pulled out an absolute pearler there.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I'm marking essays at the moment. In the last few days, I have read of "Princess Diana's fatal death" and of how "Gender is forced into us from infantry".

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Nah the Journos. Frankly I'd be disappointed if they weren't playing some sort of drinking game. It would explain a lot of their articles.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Nice post Bruce. Our Robbie is right up there with the best in the list of Kiwi rugby orators.

I'd rate him at 70 on the Mexted Index (Mex was a constant, like the speed of light, at 100).

John Mitchell is ahead of him at about 75 but Robbie is the big improver.

Henry is only a 20 but you'd not expect any higher from an ex-headmaster.

It's probably not in the same category but Kiwi commentator Tony Johnson had a nice tautological moment this year talking about the Matthews siblings playing for Tasman v Hawkes Bay: "... both of the two brothers playing together ...."

Not quite in the "Low grubber kick along the ground .. " class of Rex Mossop, but decent.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
They've obviously not been schooled like Sanchez. Shows why he's captaincy material

[video=youtube;HSCWsezsZog]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSCWsezsZog[/video]

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
They've obviously not been schooled like Sanchez. Shows why he's captaincy material
[/video]

I don't know about being "schooled", Gagger. I find it hard to believe that you can teach someone to respond with that manic speed of delivery.

He may be just naturally gifted.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Robbie doesn't like to structure his answers too much. He just plays the question that's in front of him.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Will Genia classic stuff, I wonder if press interviews are taken into account when selecting the first teamers from the academy boys,

We've got an intriguing matchup tonight, there's no love lost between these two teams.

The away team tonight is coming off a heartbreaking loss last week so today is going a pivotal game for them, although this is always a tough place to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.