• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wobblies v pumas - is Salta at altitude edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He was probably being figurative. Latu hits a hell of a lot harder than BPA, runs harder, is harder over the ball, and is a stronger scrummager.

Lineout throwing though..

I’m not so sure. BPA is still pretty green and even so has been serviceable at international level. At his best he matches Latu in scrum, duck and hitting up. And at this point may have more up side.

I’d be keeping BPA around the squad looking for development and opportunity.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Just going back a few posts, I think Hooper has grown a lot as a captain in the past 12 months. He used to come across as a by whiny when talking to the referees, but that has improved a lot. 12 months ago I didn't think he was the right person for the job, but now I do. I also really liked reading about the support he provided to Latu with the throwing practice.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I’m not so sure. BPA is still pretty green and even so has been serviceable at international level. At his best he matches Latu in scrum, duck and hitting up. And at this point may have more up side.

I’d be keeping BPA around the squad looking for development and opportunity.
Cheik is clearly doing this with all three young guns.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
He was probably being figurative. Latu hits a hell of a lot harder than BPA, runs harder, is harder over the ball, and is a stronger scrummager.

Lineout throwing though..

Fainga'a is by far the weakest around the park. couldnt physically dominate an opposition forward if he tried. but solid set piece.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Latu will add weight? Is that what you meant?

Latu, 178cm, 110 kg.

BPA, 183cm, 117kg.
No. I meant that Latu is a better scrummager and he is much better on the ground pilfering. He also doesn’t mind going for a trot.
I’m surprised to hear that he is lighter.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
No. I meant that Latu is a better scrummager and he is much better on the ground pilfering. He also doesn’t mind going for a trot.
I’m surprised to hear that he is lighter.
Hanigan is actually pretty heavy, but he plays light. Can go the other way too.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I think we have really reached the bottom in Australian Rugby now when from what I am reading;

1) Most Wallabies fans want the Wallabies to lose so the coach gets sacked and;
2) Most Wallabies fans are looking forward to watching NZ vs SA more than watching their own team.

Sad times.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think we have really reached the bottom in Australian Rugby now when from what I am reading;

1) Most Wallabies fans want the Wallabies to lose so the coach gets sacked and;
2) Most Wallabies fans are looking forward to watching NZ vs SA more than watching their own team.

Sad times.

Yeah but nah but.

Boks v ABs is clearly going to be the better rugby and there is actually a chance of someone beating the ABs, I’m in. And no emotional drain if it doesn’t happen.

WBs need to beat Argie. And Cheika is the same issue he has been for years just the mob are slow catching up. We’re in a shit sandwich here but it needs to end in a way that does not give us more shit in the next sandwich. Right now more than any other time we need TGC to go well.

In the background I hope there is a serious search for the next Bloke. After RWC Cheika can fuck off with a record of the most shit coach we ever had. For now he made his bed he needs to sleep in it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Foley brought back to "ignite" wallabies.

Isn't that why he was dropped in the first place?

As Dwyer said on some podcast last week the best 10s under play their hand most of the time and facilitate the rest of the team. But without us winning our set piece and getting some front foot ball no 10 looks good

I still think there is daylight between Foley and any other option we have at 10.

I just don't rate Beale as a 10, he runs sideways far too often and won't square up - so our 12/13/11/14 get no space

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Being able to hold up the scrum and hit your jumpers will be a pleasant start

But then you get a problem which is, if the front row can't go toe to toe with the opposition, then the locks and backrowers need to step up and beyond. Which ours can't. Unfortunately our % of players who can't match the physical contest against their opposite number, let alone win in, is far too high.

But perhaps your set piece is epic and you don't need to grind at the coal face, because you have all the go forward you need in the backs.....but we don't

We are just....lacking.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
As Dwyer said on some podcast last week the best 10s under play their hand most of the time and facilitate the rest of the team. But without us winning our set piece and getting some front foot ball no 10 looks good

I still think there is daylight between Foley and any other option we have at 10.

I just don't rate Beale as a 10, he runs sideways far too often and won't square up - so our 12/13/11/14 get no space

I think we'll see a massive improvement from our backline just for not having KB (Kurtley Beale) at 10. As you say though we need the forwards to step up just so we can use the ball. I think they will.

Wobs by 25.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think we'll see a massive improvement from our backline just for not having KB (Kurtley Beale) at 10. As you say though we need the forwards to step up just so we can use the ball. I think they will.

Wobs by 25.
KBs form is out... along with his game awareness... To'omua is punished for Beales mistakes, that’s a good quality coaching OMG save us from this indulgence... this is Cheika’s last goodbye so he has engaged his old Waratahs crew to go down with the coach and captain... total bollocks... the reality is Australian rugby can’t go into a negative talking media for the next year prior to the World Cup as it will kill the code in OZ... Cheika’s yesterdays man, he offers only pain not hope for Australian rugby... Pumas by 7

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)

Dywer is just wrong Best 10s organise the players around them to win matches... Foley can’t doesnt do this well... he would be a scrum half... and put Yoomua at 10

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If you're placing any level of accuracy on players listed weight, especially this time of the season, I've got a bridge to sell you

Still, you'd have to think the differences in the stated weights are close to the mark if every one of them is cheating about their actual weight.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Still, you'd have to think the differences in the stated weights are close to the mark if every one of them is cheating about their actual weight.

I wouldn't say it's cheating on their weight, more that the stats are still presenting what they weighed at the start of the season even though most players have lost weight due to muscle atrophy. In all likelihood someone like Latu who hasn't actually played a whole lot this season has retained size better than others that have had heavier playing schedules.

But you are right, a couple of kgs isn't going to change a whole lot. Let's just hope Latu can hit his Irish series form.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
KBs form is out. along with his game awareness. To'omua is punished for Beales mistakes, that’s a good quality coaching OMG save us from this indulgence. this is Cheika’s last goodbye so he has engaged his old Waratahs crew to go down with the coach and captain. total bollocks. the reality is Australian rugby can’t go into a negative talking media for the next year prior to the World Cup as it will kill the code in OZ. Cheika’s yesterdays man, he offers only pain not hope for Australian rugby. Pumas by 7

I think Beale is at his best when he isn't the focus of attack, at 10 he tries to make stuff happen himself instead giving others opportunities. I think 12 or 15 is his spot. To'omua is solid at best, but can be that solid, safe pivot at 12.

I would personally have had Beale at 15 with To'omua at 12 - and while our two adequate 13s are injured Folau at 13

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
I think chubby needed to get another 10 option as a backup for when foley is crook, Beale's 3rd game at 5/8 was much better than his previous ones, he also got the "I need to pass the long pass in my own quarter early in the game" out of his system for good.
I guess he doesn't see To'omua as a 5/8 but he's a good inside center. Hopefully, he gets half a game in combo with Foley in tonight's match. We still need a line breaking 6 and a decent 13. Otherwise, the team is pretty settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.