• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's Rugby

Women's Rugby

• it's awesome

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • it's awesome but I'm not the target market for this

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • it's rubbish

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I watch it for the spunks

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I can only watch the top level stuff

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Maybe women's rugby can save the whole stupid sport

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • It'll be wild when the transgender blokes turn up for a game haha

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Does GAGR have ANY women members?

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Just Derpus

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Stupid Derpus

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The rugby bosses probably thought the Rio Women’s 7s gold medal was a big enough tick in the ‘good vibes’ column that it would buy them some more time to figure out the next steps for the women’s game in general.

Then suddenly it’s been 6 years and they haven’t actually actioned anything so finally their shit is getting called out.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The rugby bosses probably thought the Rio Women’s 7s gold medal was a big enough tick in the ‘good vibes’ column that it would buy them some more time to figure out the next steps for the women’s game in general.

Then suddenly it’s been 6 years and they haven’t actually actioned anything so finally their shit is getting called out.
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't think about the women's game at all.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I believe "just" to Sydney for the send off - but still, it was all expenses paid, Intercontinental Hotel, dinner, etc...

It's a terrible look, on top of the Sua'ali'i money, the Vancouver 7 incident, the Matildas momentum etc.

Rugby Australia need to fix this quick smart. Not wait for a RWC result (good or bad)... let's commit $3m to 30 x $100,000 pa professional contracts, and offer them to the top 30 girls.

Do it tomorrow Phill Waugh. We've heard you. We get it. There's more work to be done. We've seen what the Matildas have achieved (geez think of how much merch they've just sold...) We've found the money.
Not just that, but I saw the RA instagram account share a rubbish
'day in the life of a Wallaby WAG' video from one of the players' girlfriends, replete with shopping trips, facials and lazing in the hotel room. Funding disparities aside, an utterly braindead PR moment.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
All power to them. This will be so Rugby Australia - get the jump on all the other codes then sit back and do nothing and get overtaken.
At least we can probably rely on Football Australia to stuff up the legacy of the World Cup through infighting and incompetence.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
RA overlooking critical development intiatives?

giphy.gif

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
About time rugby got the lead article on news.com

It’s probably the only time they have ever covered women’s rugby.

1692587022523.png

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Beggars belief, both the AFL & NRL started their own national competitions after the success of both international soccer and rugby womens teams. Soccer started its W-League and started to have success.

Rugby from a real position of strength, equal to the womens soccer team say 8 to 10 years ago, has just stood by and watched.

Its so so so so sad. we failed to see the gold mine we had.

Rusted

Allen Oxlade (6)
Not surprising news corpse jumped all over this. Another negative rugby article to post. HOWEVER, this is an important issue that does need to be front and centre. Rugby led the way a few years back in women's rectangle shaped sport, led by our magnificent 7s girls in Rio. League and AFL were pretty much sitting on their hands until they realised there was interest and a market for women's sport. Since then the codes have gone on to build their leagues while rugby stalled. Seeing some of our best now running around in other codes getting well compensated in professional environments while RA um and ah about funding women's rugby has led us to this. RA need to realise, women hold the key to reviving rugby in this country. Not some $5 million kid from Sydney or a recycled coach from Randwick.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Beggars belief, both the AFL & NRL started their own national competitions after the success of both international soccer and rugby womens teams. Soccer started its W-League and started to have success.

Rugby from a real position of strength, equal to the womens soccer team say 8 to 10 years ago, has just stood by and watched.

It's not too late. Women's rugby is only just starting to scratch the surface in every aspect of where it can go.

But action needs to happen NOW.

IMO, the best thing RA could do is to put their hand up, say they fucked up with the obvious inequality of the way the Wallaroos have been treated but make a big committment to what will happen going forward. This could turn the story into quite a positive thing that young women in the game right now can look at and feel that they are involved in a sport that has a real future.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)

What gold mine?

None of the aforementioned women's sports are profitable. They are a financial black hole because paying fans have no interest in paying for the product. Look at the WNBA in the US.... running for over 25yrs and have never been self funding, in fact have made losses every year with the annual subsidies from the NBA the only reason it still exists. Basically an insolvent business kept alive by charitable donors. Note, the WNBA players are also complaining about lack of pay etc.

I am no hater of women's sport, the more sport for everyone the better! But professional sports are a business and players are paid based on what they are worth. No male rugby players are complaining about the salaries of players in the NBA, NFL MLB or the European football leagues, because the sport doesn't make enough money! It's tiring listening to the continual whining when the reality is so clear and obvious....

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No male rugby players are complaining about the salaries of players in the NBA, NFL MLB or the European football leagues, because....

... because they're completely different sports in overseas markets?

And the Wallaroos are not asking for equal pay here... simply for better treatment that they should be entitled to as employees.

“Wallabies partners better looked after than the Wallaroos. Their flights, accom, food all paid for to ‘say goodbye’ to the boys while the @wallaroosrugby get stranded in a Canadian airport for 3 days because Rugby Aus didn’t give them a flight home,” the furious player wrote.

“Wallaroos families/partners don’t even get a free ticket to the game.”

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Wallaroos versus WAGS would be a great charity rugby match concept.

PS: I want our rugby girls to be given equal treatment but it’s not a level playing field and we all know the challenges associated with that…

Can’t wait for out of touch McLennan and Phil Waugh come out with their response.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The 1,977,824 people who attended the 64 women's football world cup games may beg to differ. Average stadium capacity of 75%. There is absolutely interest when the product is funded, promoted, and well executed.

Comparing a World Cup event which comes to your country once every couple of decades isn’t comparable to the challenge with woman sports on week to week basis in a domestic comp.

But it’s moot point if all these leagues pump money into men’s product and put on a token female competition

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
The 1,977,824 people who attended the 64 women's football world cup games may beg to differ. Average stadium capacity of 75%. There is absolutely interest when the product is funded, promoted, and well executed.
Sadly all the self proclaimed Walleroo (and other female sports for that matter) supporters on here and social media do not actually support them in any other manner than a few virtue signalling keystrokes online. They do not attend the games, buy the tickets year on year, buy and wear the merchandise, watch them play on tv etc. This is how the revenue is generated by which they could be funded. If they actually supported them with their actions they could be paid not just the same, but more than the men. Over to you Walleroo supporters..... Put your money where your mouth is.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Comparing a World Cup event which comes to your country once every couple of decades isn’t comparable to the challenge with woman sports on week to week basis in a domestic comp.

But it’s moot point if all these leagues pump money into men’s product and put on a token female competition
It's not moot - again, my point is if the product is well executed and well marketed (like the WC), the fans will come.

Australia has some of the most fickle, bandwagoning fans in the world - the only way to get people interested is through success. The only way to achieve success, particularly with competition from other leagues, is with funding. It's the exact same with mens Super, club rugby, and the NRC (rip).