• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World club championship?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Getting in news again, 2025 kick off they say. Is it good or bad? Or even in fact a possibility? Interesting to see the article says 8 from NH , 7 SH and one Japanese club. I not taking a lot of credence as seems plans are for no Aus in super rugby etc (if that's true) and I would wonder if perhaps NH wouldn't feel they should have more teams if SA is part of them? Of course the other trouble is, the clubs that quaify will obviously get a decent payout, and would that make comp uneven or not?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I love the concept. A lot of issues, egos and priorities would need to be ironed out for this to get anywhere.

Do you split the money equally and only the winner receiving a bonus? A good performance will bring it's own money for the individual clubs in increased sponsorship and gate? This could help put money in the bank for smaller clubs that may not progress to later stages....

Could you begin the tournament regionally so everyone does start in it and has a chance. I know there would be issues around what countries get how many entries but soccer deal with it (Champions league, Europa league). Shouldn't ignore North & South America either. A MLR team might lose by 70 but Rugby needs to think of the exposure it may give to have them play with the RWC going there in a decade. (Could a Europa style 2nd tier tournament be worth it)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I love the concept. A lot of issues, egos and priorities would need to be ironed out for this to get anywhere.

Do you split the money equally and only the winner receiving a bonus? A good performance will bring it's own money for the individual clubs in increased sponsorship and gate? This could help put money in the bank for smaller clubs that may not progress to later stages....

Could you begin the tournament regionally so everyone does start in it and has a chance. I know there would be issues around what countries get how many entries but soccer deal with it (Champions league, Europa league). Shouldn't ignore North & South America either. A MLR team might lose by 70 but Rugby needs to think of the exposure it may give to have them play with the RWC going there in a decade. (Could a Europa style 2nd tier tournament be worth it)
Well the article says all mony spliy evenly, so how real it is we will see no doubt. I think if you start tournament regionally, would probably take too long, and they probably looking at splitting money only 16 ways?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Or we could set up an Asia-Pacific Champion Cup conference between Aus, NZ and Japan. Then the winners could play one another to determine an overall Champion. Or the Top 2- 4 go into a finals series to determine the overall winner. No point over complicating things.