• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby Awards 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Agreed. The presence of both Giteau and Moore is totally farcical.

Moore was solid but not in the top 5 hookers at the tournament. His running was average at best and our lineout was generally poor.

Giteau was good but I think the NH commentators have a bit too much love for him. Great defence and good ball skills, but Nonu is the best there is anywhere. Has to be in there.

Surely they have to think about who would be in their top world side if picked today based on the years performance.

There is no fucking way any sane person would pick Giteau over Nonu or Moore over Coles or the Battleship (plus a few others).

Clearly these awards are very political in nature - very disappointing.

K

KAOPointman

As a diehard wallabies and Rugby in general fan.....these garbage and corrupt calls tug at my heart strings very badly! I've watched every test, every super game and a handful of other rugby throughout the year....for near on 7 years now. For Dan carter to get player of this year is inexcusable. He didn't even have a great WC.....he had a great finals series at the WC. The rest of the year he's been average!
I'd love to see complete transparency to the scoring of player of the year.....as Dan charters form all year has been average at best!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Would the All Blacks have won the RWC without Carter?

Maybe. But IMO with the benefit of hindsight, it would be a big gamble to take.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)

I think Carter, A Smith and both the locks were irreplaceable in their squad, the rest of them had good cover. Even Nonu could have been replaced with MF or SBW.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
What a joke! Poey was the best player! Carter not even was the best All Black. His Super Rugby season was average and he only has played at high level in the WC final

I think Carter, A Smith and both the locks were irreplaceable in their squad, the rest of them had good cover. Even Nonu could have been replaced with MF or SBW.

SBW is 30 and Fekitoa isn't a second five eight. So they would have problems to replace Nonu and SBW at #12. Others options like Crotty or Ngatai aren't near of the level of Nonu or SBW

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
With regard to the judging panel(s) for the awards, quite the mix of rugby luminaries (and Stephen Jones) involved. Pity we'll probably never know the exact votes each candidate received.

From World Rugby website:
The following panels vote on the respective World Rugby Awards:
World Rugby Player of the Year
John Eales (Convenor)
Scott Quinnell (WAL)
Paul Wallace (IRE)
Raphael Ibanez (FRA)
Will Greenwood (ENG)
Gavin Hastings (SCO)
Tana Umaga (NZL)
Agustin Pichot (ARG)
Francois Pienaar (RSA)
Pierre Galy (AFP)
Stephen Jones (The Sunday Times)
Georgina Robinson (Sydney Morning Herald)
Jim Kayes (TV3)
Sergio Stuart (Ole, Argentina)
RWC teams

World Rugby Team and Coach of the Year panel
John Eales (AUS)
Agustin Pichot (ARG)
Scott Hastings (SCO)
Nick Mallett (RSA)

World Rugby Referee Award
Fifteens referee selection panel
Sevens referee selection panel

IRPA Try of the Year panel
Shane Horgan (IRE)
Christian Cullen (NZL)
Serge Betsen (FRA)
Stefan Terblanche (RSA)

World Rugby Breakthrough Player of the Year
George Gregan (AUS)
Felipe Contepomi (ARG)
Sarah Mockford (Rugby World)
Jim Kayes (TV3)

World Rugby Women’s Player of the Year
Fiona Coghlan (IRE)
Melodie Robinson (NZL)
Sue Day (ENG)

World Rugby Sevens Player of the Year in association with HSBC
Participating team managers
Commentators

World Rugby Women’s Sevens Player of the Year
Participating team managers
Commentators

Award for Character
Graham Mourie (NZL)
Gerald Davies (WAL)
John Eales (AUS)
Serge Betsen (FRA)

Vernon Pugh Award for Distinguished Service
Bernard Lapasset (World Rugby Chairman)
Oregan Hoskins (World Rugby Vice-Chairman)
Brett Gosper (World Rugby Chief Executive)
David Carrigy (World Rugby Head of Development and International Relations)

IRPA Special Merit
IRPA

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The selection panel for the referee of the year is a bit silly. There is no way they aren't going to back up their own choice for the bloke they picked to have the final. No matter how fat behind play he seems to be in the faster games.

Not an independent choice at all.

K

KAOPointman

Probably....b Barrett is a far faaar better player atm. Has been for two seasons. But it's not player of the WC....it's Player of the year. That's a lot of rugby games and internationals to get through. Carter plays well in the last two WC games plus a handful throughout the year. Many many average games to destroy that average tho. Yet still he's magically player of the year still!!! MEH

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I doubt Barrett would have been able to kick the goals Carter did in the final, or the drop goal from 40+ metres out.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
By gee it's hard to argue with that panel for selecting Player of year etc, I quite sure they have far greater appreciation of the merits of the players than anyone on here, including me!! As I have said I would of picked Whitelock, but then again that is my opinion and my opinion only. I haven't seen enough NH rugby to even pretend I could pick player myself. And any of us watching with our eyepatches on will only see what we want to see!!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The other thing to consider is that it seems Hansen deliberately had the ABs playing to specific game plans and forcing them to play certain ways and styles in preparation for what they might have had to face later in the year and in the tournament. How much of that held Carter back from producing more of the form he showed later in the year?

Who knows? I think out of the guys who were nominated, Dan Carter was just as deserving a winner as anyone else.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I would have gone with Pocock for player of the year but I can live with Carter getting it. His performances in the knockout stage were top drawer.

K

KAOPointman

I would have gone with Pocock for player of the year but I can live with Carter getting it. His performances in the knockout stage were top drawer.
Same.....Carter was awesome in the WC finals games.......but if someone could post a montage of the games he played in super rugby this year.....that would show pocock ahead about ten to one during that time. Pococks form was not far behind Carters at the WC at all. So yes...I still call bogas.....even with an eyepatch :|

Who am I too question it tho......the WC finals could be valued 100 times more then super rugby games, who knows!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I also think when we look at unlucky to miss people, in the coaches I think in the coaches you would add Eddie Jones-Japan , Milton Haig-Georgia and Daniel Hougade from Argentina, 3 teams that have probably made bigger strides than the Wallabies. So we can see a lot lucky or unlucky to either get or not get gongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.