• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby Awards 2021

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NOMINEES

Men’s 15s Player of the Year:
Antoine Dupont (France), Michael Hooper (Australia), Maro Itoje (England/British and Irish Lions), Samu Kerevi (Australia).

Women’s 15s Player of the Year: Zoe Aldcroft (England), Caroline Boujard (France), Poppy Cleall (England), Laure Sansus (France).

Breakthrough Player of the Year: Will Jordan (New Zealand), Andrew Kellaway (Australia), Louis Rees-Zammit (Wales), Marcus Smith (England).

Coach of the Year: Allan Bunting/Cory Sweeney (New Zealand Women’s Sevens), Ian Foster (New Zealand Men), Simon Middleton (England Women), Dave Rennie (Australia Men).

Men’s Sevens Player of the Year: Napolioni Bolaca (Fiji), Scott Curry (New Zealand), Marcos Moneta (Argentina), Jiuta Wainiqolo (Fiji).

Women’s Sevens Player of the Year: Anne-Cécile Ciofani (France), Sarah Hirini (New Zealand), Alowesi Nakoci (Fiji), Reapi Ulunisau (Fiji).

Men’s Try of the Year: Lukhanyo Am (South Africa A, v British and Irish Lions on 14 July), Pierre-Louis Barassi (France, v Australia on 17 July), Luke Jacobson (New Zealand, v Argentina on 12 September), Damian Penaud (France, v Scotland on 26 March).

Women’s Try of the Year: Sara Barattin (Italy, v Scotland on 13 September), Emilie Boulard (France, v Wales on 3 April), Abby Dow (England, v France on 30 April), Romane Ménager (France, v Ireland on 17 April).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have to say a bit surprised about Kerevi getting nominated, but would genuinely think Hooper will go very close to getting the title. Perhaps in a close run thing with Itoje, a little surprised no Kylosi there too, but I think that maybe because the nominations run from Oct-Oct or something like that I think and Boks didn't play end of last year?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ POTY is by public vote so it'll be Dupont or Itoje for sure.

I may PM zer0 wrt Foster's nomination for COTY, I'm sure he'll have some thoughts on that ;)

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Making the World Rugby 'player of the year' award a popularity contest is absurd. Sure there is a place for the 'peoples choice' award but not the actual best player in the world for the year, it will always be won by an English or French player - maybe Japanese if one gets nominated...

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A blast from the past. And while it is a feel-good story and doubtless well deserved, I wonder if it reflects on the standard of the present day referees?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ there being no list of nominees I was thinking it was maybe an award given out by the current crop rather than to one of them? Certainly makes more sense if that's the case.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
There’s a lot of hate on social media over this one, especially his try tally which was inflated against under strength tier 2 teams like USA and Tonga.

Marcus Smith and Andrew Kellaway were some of the other candidates. Andrew Kellaway actually scored more tries against Tier 1 teams then Jordan did as well.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
There’s a lot of hate on social media over this one, especially his try tally which was inflated against under strength tier 2 teams like USA and Tonga.

Marcus Smith and Andrew Kellaway were some of the other candidates. Andrew Kellaway actually scored more tries against Tier 1 teams then Jordan did as well.

I mean, that's pretty much what you get for being on Twatter or Facebook.

As it is, Jordan and Kellaway have the same strike rate against T1 teams (0.80). Though Jordan edges ahead (0.86) if you include 2020 where there were no awards so idk if they have rolled them in together.

Smith only seems to have played against USA, Canada and Tonga. If we're only looking at T1 teams (6N + RC teams) then he's a non-starter. But Smith's inclusion off three tests against T2 means they must consider all pro rugby. In which case Jordan also murdered everyone in Super Rugby so it becomes a bit of a procession.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Seems he did start against the Wallabies at least. ESPN player stats really have gone down the drain over the last few years...

EDIT: And the Boks too.

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A blast from the past. And while it is a feel-good story and doubtless well deserved, I wonder if it reflects on the standard of the present day referees?

This award generally goes to a current referee but there are a few occasions where it has gone to a former referee.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I mean, that's pretty much what you get for being on Twatter or Facebook.

As it is, Jordan and Kellaway have the same strike rate against T1 teams (0.80). Though Jordan edges ahead (0.86) if you include 2020 where there were no awards so idk if they have rolled them in together.

Smith only seems to have played against USA, Canada and Tonga. If we're only looking at T1 teams (6N + RC teams) then he's a non-starter. But Smith's inclusion off three tests against T2 means they must consider all pro rugby. In which case Jordan also murdered everyone in Super Rugby so it becomes a bit of a procession.
Shame about that defence though. This one seems a bit like the Ballon D'or. Whoever scores most, wins.

I also guess they are being liberal with how they define breakthrough player of the year given Jordan played in 2020.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

And Kellaway is a real rugby player while Jordan is more a running athlete who imo has some weaknesses in his game and again imo will be found out before much longer in the game.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Marcus Smith and Andrew Kellaway were some of the other candidates. Andrew Kellaway actually scored more tries against Tier 1 teams then Jordan did as

And Kellaway is a real rugby player while Jordan is more a running athlete who imo has some weaknesses in his game and again imo will be found out before much longer in the game.
:D I not sure what gave you this dea BR,Jordan has a pretty good all round game, seems good in the air, pretty ok as defence, certainly have watched him for a few years, and never thought he would be considered just a quick wing only or anything. He actually similar to Kellaway in that he plays 15 quite a bit.
I will be interested to hear the weaknesses he has in game. In saying that I like Kellaway too, so not trying to knock him in anyway, but think if I was picking between the 2 I would take Jordan. (and will add maybe because I have seen more of him), I would probably say Jordan is as good on defence, better under high ball (from what I have seen), and quicker than Kellaway.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
World rugby dream team of year
1638989225749.png