• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby Player and Team of the Decade Awards

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Julian Savea should 100% be 14.

North getting there solely on longevity which is basically a function of not having a long line of Pacific Island background genetic freaks bashing down the door for Wales.

Spent half the decade on the sidelines injured anyway

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Always thought IF was a right winger, know he was good under high ball etc, but his great weakness for playing at 15 (or 13 as some suggested) or even 11 was inability to be able to pass left to right. He may of been a great at 14.

Plus his lack of kicking ability, but finishing abilities were outstanding.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Julian Savea should 100% be 14.

North getting there solely on longevity which is basically a function of not having a long line of Pacific Island background genetic freaks bashing down the door for Wales.

I disagree, Savea only had 2-3 good years at Test level.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
That is the problem with AB strike wingers; they typically burn twice as bring for half as long before dropping even slightly and being scrapped for the next cab off the rank for his ~2/3 year blaze of glory.

Guys like the Sex Pest, Conrad, and Kaino would have far, far more compelling cases for mine.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
That is the problem with AB strike wingers; they typically burn twice as bring for half as long before dropping even slightly and being scrapped for the next cab off the rank for his ~2/3 year blaze of glory.

Guys like the Sex Pest, Conrad, and Kaino would have far, far more compelling cases for mine.
Nowadays you basically pick wingers on raw athleticism so that their shelf life is much less than other positions. This should be taken into account when picking a team of a decade.

I'd rather have the guy who had the most impact over a shorter time span than the winger that managed to stick around for a long-time because there was no one else pressing a case. Savea was basically untackleable at his peak, good enough for me.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
BOD is a bit of a joke too. He wasn't great this decade. Absolutely phenomenal the previous decade though.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Here's my team:

1.Tendai Mtawarira (RSA),
2. Dan Coles (NZL)
3.Owen Franks (NZL),
4. Brodie Retallick (NZL),
5. Mario Itoje (ENG)
6. David Pocock (AUS),
7. Richie McCaw (NZL),
8. Keiran Read (NZL)
9. Aaron Smith (NZL)
10. Dan Carter (NZL),
11. Ben Smith (NZL),
12. Ma'a Nonu (NZL),
13. Conrad Smith (NZL),
14. Israel Folau (AUS),
15. Beauden Barrett (NZL)

Obviously, my take on the team is playing a few guys out of position. If you're gunna go a hardline picking players only in the position then poey is dropped for Kaino or Dusatoir, B.Smith to Fullback and Savea on the wing.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
On behalf of Brumby Runner I just want to point out that there should be more ACT Brumbies in the team, regardless of who they are.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
On behalf of Brumby Runner I just want to point out that there should be more ACT Brumbies in the team, regardless of who they are.

Why would you attack/troll a single poster like this? We know he loves his Brumbies but he's also a regular contributor of this forum which only adds value to the overall discussion.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Why would you attack/troll a single poster like this? We know he loves his Brumbies but he's also a regular contributor of this forum which only adds value to the overall discussion.

C,mom mate, I just thought Tex was having a joke, hell I would say the same about Dismal or zer0 in regards to Blues players and sure they wouldn't take it as an attack. Mind you I happy with your team as there 4 Canes players!! And before DP or zer0 say anything BB was not a Blues player during the period;)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
C,mom mate, I just thought Tex was having a joke, hell I would say the same about Dismal or zer0 in regards to Blues players and sure they wouldn't take it as an attack. Mind you I happy with your team as there 4 Canes players!! And before DP or zer0 say anything BB was not a Blues player during the period;)

Obviously a joke. But I'm so sick of hearing about provincial bia's. Even as jokes. Plus BR seems to flake it the most, and now it's becoming unprovoked.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tries of the Decade have been announced, too:

If mixed rugby ever becomes a thing I'd want PW in my team. Girl got game.