• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

WTC and Ashes 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Frustrating part is if the bowlers didn’t lose the plot we’d be up by 220 right now. Completely different circumstances if we had to eek out another 120 runs.

cmon Marsh. You can become a legend here

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Soo frustrating to know we could have a strangle hold on the game. At least it's only day 3 today so we have time to bat if marsh and head can dig in

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I reckon we’re done for boys, our tail collapsed so quick in the first innings. Marsh isn’t producing his miracle again. Needed Marnus or Smudge to go semi big. Stokes is in such fine form, he’ll chase anything.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
We're at least 150 away from where we need to be at the moment. A real opportunity squandered yesterday. We had England on the rack and then not only released our grip when they batted (Stokes again, wow), but we chucked our wickets away in the last session.

We should have buried them for the series last night but they're still hanging in there. Just bat long today boys and accumulate.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Seems strange to say but England are surely favorites here. We need a Head and / or Marsh special. I don’t even feel safe with a 350 run lead. Although weather a big factor.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Looking at the forecast I'd be going for the draw. It's a game situation basically tailor made for their squad.

Soak up as much time as possible (although Marsh, Head and Carey are our most attacking batsmen so we may be screwed regardless) and then bowl T20 wide outside off and slightly short, stack the offside.

Maybe I'm just a massive coward though.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yes I struggle to see how we can stonewall for three days. Suggest that's slightly far-fetched.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's a bit of a cliche, but our current partnership really has the game in their hands. There's a world where they combine to put on another 70+ and we can think about a lead of 280+ which I think is defendable on this pitch.

One of them could go big and essentially win us the game.

But if we lose a quick one we could be looking at a target of 180 which looks too skinny, even with the forecast grey skies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yep. I actually think we need 300+ on this track, unless the overheads dramatically turn. Teams love chasing at Headingly and England will fancy their chances.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yes I struggle to see how we can stonewall for three days. Suggest that's slightly far-fetched.
Yeah the way wickets fall consistently on this pitch I’d be very surprised if there wasn’t a result. It’s only day 3 and there 16 wickets in the match left.

Weather looks like some rain but not loss of day type weather.

Head, Marsh and Carey have a great chance to get a big score and win a Test for Australia. If the tail can hang around we can get to 300 and I’d back us

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
We won't be playing anything like three days of cricket. They can't start more than 30 mins early iirc and the forecast is basically for wall to wall rain after lunch on the remaining days.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
this must be pure hell for Head and Marsh. These conditions are just extremely unlucky. It seems we have some optimists in the lower order though.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
So much for the guys keeping their heads. The poms are just bowling like their life depends on it. Can't believe we've lost 4-70 odd in an hour and a half