• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

WTC and Ashes 2023

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Or, we drop warner, move Marsh up to open with Uzzie, bring Neser in for Marsh as all-rounder, bring in Hoff for Boland. Probably a little out of the box.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I doubt they'll pick Neser but I really think they should.

Sometimes you've just got to back the hot hand regardless of how difficult it might be to squeeze them into the side. Straight swap for Boland and if Green comes in for Warner it counteracts the fact that we're on paper weakening our batting by having two all rounders.

Neser at 8, Starc 9, Cummins 10, Murphy 11 is a pretty strong tail!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why won't they pick Neser? Is he training with the squad? The old adage of harder to get dropped than to get picked?

I just think it's a more bold selection than we generally see them make. They're already trying to work out how to squeeze Cam Green and Josh Hazlewood back in.

I hope I'm wrong but it's not really the way Australian cricket selectors have generally gone.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That's called kicking the door down. Some innings!

Neser is definitely in the conversation. I still think we'll go with Hoff, but Neser may come in for Murphy.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
That's called kicking the door down. Some innings!

Neser is definitely in the conversation. I still think we'll go with Hoff, but Neser may come in for Murphy.
Really depends on what pitch is served up! Granted Neser's playing in the 2nd Division of County, but it's still impressive. He's also being handy with the ball too.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
With the Wallabies and the big break between tests this last week has dragged.

From journos watching the nets it seems like Warner will be retained - lame.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
With the Wallabies and the big break between tests this last week has dragged.

From journos watching the nets it seems like Warner will be retained - lame.
As has been said before harder to get out of the team, than into it.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Absolutely filthy forecast (traditionally English) for Manchester over the course of the test. Obviously that technically brings us closer to at least retaining the Ashes but I think it suits their style better than ours. For whatever reason even when we destroy opponents lately it's taken us almost the full 5 days.

I really hope the team has had to confront the reality of being soundly mentally overwhelmed in the third test, because we are better almost across the board.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Looked at the forecast last night and there does seem to be a fair bit of rain forecast. I think the key thing for us will be not to get shot out for a low total and open up the possibility of a smash and grab (Trademark Eddie Jones) win to set up a decider at the Oval.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Fun to speculate but I think this is what we all deep down knew might happen. I expect Green to get his spot back and Hazlewood be the only change.

They'll say "this is the team that won the WTC and the first 2 Tests so they deserve it" which is hard to argue against but the pessimist inside me worries about the idea of the selections if we gave a game 5 decider.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Murphy dropped for Green. No other changes.

Trafford has traditionally spun so I can't help feeling this is a mistake. Both for the test and Murphy's career. I don't think Green demands selection frankly.

Forecast is improving however and we only just lost to them despite conditions going their way all match which makes me more confident.