• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
They get it right more often than not. Players have an affinity with them over the Danny Weidler types now. Roosters have plenty of cash to spend. Got JWH leaving as well. Can imagine looking at the Tahs is also a bit of turn off at the moment with unknowns around coaches, players as well as the poor performance.

On another note I personally think the indication that the NRL want the Bears in Perth is a blow for Rugby on two fronts. One, we don't need competition in Perth where they will push money into the place and two, the re engagement of old North Sydney fans which are a vast chunk of the NSW Rugby fans & players. When every third game is back in Sydney and the competition for customer $ is high it's not a good result for Rugby.
Yeah well you’re all pretty much screwed… aus rugby only has it self to blame lol

Marce

John Thornett (49)
They want Joseph Sua'ali'i to play rugby.

That's it. That's what they want.
It look like they are HUGE League viewers. But that's not how this works. You don't pick a NRL star in a collective game like rugby and win games

So is not crazy to think that they could spend a lot of money to buy, I don't know, Reece Walsh, meanwhile the forward pack is struggling against Tier 2 nations

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I guess the point is a random private fund can splooge giant wads of cash on whoever they want for whatever reason and it doesn't really have much bearing on what RA/Tahs do (except insofar as they benefit from it).

Marce

John Thornett (49)
As far as I am aware besides confirming that they had signed him, I do not think any contract details have ever been released by Rugby Australia, so any third party involvement is mearly hearsay at the present time.
It won't be a surprise if there are no donors at the end of the day. They cut to the Force some years ago when the Rebels were a worst financial planning than Force

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Is Monday your Pill Day?
I dont know who are the donors and I wouldn't surprise if there are not donors at all and RA has to pay the bills

All this started cause there are rumors among League journalists that RA wants to reverse the Sua'ali'i's contract and they are in talks with the Roosters. Maybe our Elonk Musk regretted it, who knows

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I’m fairly certain RA recognise they’re not in a great financial spot.

It’s a good thing that most of Sua’ali’i’s salary is being covered by an anonymous donor then isn’t it :D

Not sure how many more times that needs to be said…
If this is true Cheese (and I've seen no suggestions it's not other than that RA is picking up some unidentified portion of the cost) then why would RA be trying to get out of a deal that costs them next to nothing?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
If this is true Cheese (and I've seen no suggestions it's not other than that RA is picking up some unidentified portion of the cost) then why would RA be trying to get out of a deal that costs them next to nothing?
If there are discussions being had behind closed doors, there's also every chance it's Sua'ali'i himself that wants out. Wouldn't be the first time NRL media have tried to spin the Sua'ali'i situation in a way which both bigs them up and trashes RA

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Maybe you can answer the Brumby runner question

I was actually just about to...

RA is apparently covering some of the costs of his deal.

It could be they're trying to recoup those costs and roll back on the negative PR that's come with the signing...

Or maybe Sua'ali'i wants out like Le Cheese just suggested.

That is... if the story reported by "that one league guy on Triple M" is true.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So, it looks like it has been established that some portion of JS's contract comes from a fund set up by Raelene Castle to defend offers coming from NRL clubs for rugby players. If so, it looks like a misuse of those funds trying to lure a League player to Rugby. The whole deal has a real stink to it.

If the supposed donors are so generous, then they should be open to discussions with RA to funnel their portion of the deal towards more deserving target(s).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So, it looks like it has been established that some portion of JS's contract comes from a fund set up by Raelene Castle to defend offers coming from NRL clubs for rugby players. If so, it looks like a misuse of those funds trying to lure a League player to Rugby. The whole deal has a real stink to it.

If the supposed donors are so generous, then they should be open to discussions with RA to funnel their portion of the deal towards more deserving target(s).

What it's used for is not really that strict...

Obviously part of its role is to prevent young rugby players switching codes (as with Sua'ali'i originally) by being able to table a competitive offer, but it's also used to pay for high profile Wallabies such as Pocock and Folau.

Marce

John Thornett (49)

That's what I'm trying to say but I'm the mad dog here so thanks for bringing those arguments to the table

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)

It's also possible that those conversations have happened and the donor(s) are now open to doing so, whereas previously they were not - would be another reason why RA may want to negotiate an exit if so.

I don't think anyone denies it has a stink to it, hence all the uproar and part of why the deal's negotiator / biggest proponent was unceremoniously fired. But the facts, as we understand them, are that money was available for the sole purpose of attracting Sua'ali'i - what do they say about a gift horse?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
This thread...

1715581357952.png