• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
What it's used for is not really that strict...

Obviously part of its role is to prevent young rugby players switching codes (as with Sua'ali'i originally) by being able to table a competitive offer, but it's also used to pay for high profile Wallabies such as Pocock and Folau.
Is this consistent Slim with your earlier post?

"What cash there is on offer comes from two sources: an in-budget fighting fund established by ex-CEO Raelene Castle, and a new emerging Wallabies fund, off-budget, initiated by donors through the Australian Rugby Foundation.

Both funds are designed to protect and invest in the future of the Wallabies, by ensuring that there is a pool of money available to contract talented young schoolboy players who would otherwise be lost to rugby league."

I may be wrong, but that reads to me that the in-budget fund was established to fight off offers for current rugby players, while the off-budget fund is to fund emerging Wallabies. I'd say, despite JS playing rugby at school presumably while on a League contract, he fails to meet both of those crieria. If RA is now trying to renege, then I say more power to them. It would be the right path to take and if the benefactors of the ARF money are not willing to see that same money, no matter how small it actually is in reality, go to a more deserving rugby product, then they should just fuck off.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I love the idea that in 2024 RA has any kind of in-budget fund set aside for anything.

The article this comes from was written 4 years ago when Su'ualli was 16 and both a current rugby player and thought to be a future Wallaby
"What cash there is on offer comes from two sources: an in-budget fighting fund established by ex-CEO Raelene Castle, and a new emerging Wallabies fund, off-budget, initiated by donors through the Australian Rugby Foundation.

Both funds are designed to protect and invest in the future of the Wallabies, by ensuring that there is a pool of money available to contract talented young schoolboy players who would otherwise be lost to rugby league."

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/07/...-elusive-as-superman-Sua'ali'i-saga-rages-on/

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is this consistent Slim with your earlier post?

I may be wrong, but that reads to me that the in-budget fund was established to fight off offers for current rugby players, while the off-budget fund is to fund emerging Wallabies. I'd say, despite JS playing rugby at school presumably while on a League contract, he fails to meet both of those crieria. If RA is now trying to renege, then I say more power to them. It would be the right path to take and if the benefactors of the ARF money are not willing to see that same money, no matter how small it actually is in reality, go to a more deserving rugby product, then they should just fuck off.

The Australian Rugby Foundation isn't limited to funnelling donations for just emerging Wallabies, and that article, from four years ago, isn't suggesting they are - they are just referenced in the context of the JS deal and one of the purposes the foundation was set up for.

Again, they've also been responsible for partnering wealthy benefactors with high profile Wallabies.

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
As per Rugby Australia's 2023 Financial Report I am not sure the foundation is funding the acquisition of Joseph:

"Australian Rugby Foundation LAUNCHED IN 2014, the Australian Rugby Foundation is the philanthropic arm of Rugby Australia.
Since launching, the Australian Rugby Foundation has proudly funded a range of projects to foster the success of the game, both on and off
the field including:
• Programs to grow and develop women’s rugby;
• Building sustainable high-performance pathways’ programs; and
• Promoting the social good of Rugby Union through community engagement.
In 2023, donors gifted $1.2m to the Australian Rugby Foundation to be invested across its three main pillars:
Women’s Rugby; High Performance and Community including First Nations, Pasifika and Classic Wallabies coaching clinics. This compares to less
than $0.2m in FY22
Initiatives and programs supported included:
• The transition of one of our most decorated female rugby players Shannon Parry OAM OLY from player to successful coach. In 2023 she
coached the Aussie Youth 7’s female team to Youth Commonwealth Games Gold medal in Trinidad & Tobago in August & the Global
Youth 7s Gold medal in Auckland in December.
• Developing the pipeline of talent by co-ordinating the revamped U16 and U19 Super Rugby Championships from 30 September to 5 November 2023.
• Community programs including:
• The advancement of women’s Rugby through investing in match officials’ development which improves the quality of games resulting in enhanced wellbeing, fitness and community connectivity.
• Support to Deaf Rugby athletes with airfares to attend world tournament ARF Fundraising Forums
Throughout the Year the Australian Rugby Foundation was involved in a series of fund-raising forums including:
• Workshops with supporters on growing and developing Women’s Rugby noting the Women’s Rugby World Cup to be held in Australia
in 2029;
• Partnering with other organisations such as the Australian Hong Kong Chamber of Commerce for its annual HK 7’s function, Taylors
Wines for its annual Wallabies Wine Luncheon, Front Row Group for its annual Wallabies v All Blacks function as well as others; and
• Running a number of events with ARF investors including at the 2023 Sydney 7’s in January through to the Wallabies/Wallaroos home test
matches, as well as the 2023 Rugby World Cup in France.
Collaboration and co-ordination across Australian Rugby Foundation Landscape Inaugural Australian Rugby
Foundations Strategic Planning Workshop Held on: 17-18 July 2023, Sydney.
Thirty delegates from 12 Foundations participated in the strategic planning days with representatives from the five Super Rugby Member Unions’ Foundations as well as delegates from Australian Schools Rugby Union Foundation,
Lloyd McDermott Rugby Development Team, The Rugby Club Foundation,
Hearts in Rugby Union (HiRU), The Classic Wallabies and the Drummoyne Districts Rugby Club.
Key Outcomes
• Continue to enhance the longterm competitiveness and vitality of Australian Rugby by raising funds from donors and partners to support specific programs.
• Craft narrative and a marketing plan so that sport is a charitable purpose in the eyes of the Philanthropic community i.e., raise awareness
that donors would qualify for a tax deduction for their giving.
• Ensure our work has a genuine, positive and tangible impact for Rugby – at all levels.
• Build authentic, trustworthy relationships with donors and ensure strong acquittal processes for all donations.
The Australian Rugby Foundation is proudly funded by generous supporters and benefactors. The generosity of our donors enables
the Foundation to uphold the game’s rich history and values, nurture a pipeline of talented athletes and foster success for women both on and
off the field. We thank you for your wonderful support"

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As per Rugby Australia's 2023 Financial Report I am not sure the foundation is funding the acquisition of Joseph:

I wouldn't expect these confidential settlments to be mentioned in their annual financial report blurb, just as they weren't when the Foundation was facilitating the multi million dollar top ups of Pocock and Folau.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
My completely uninformed speculation.....

Sua'ali'i is on the same RUPA contract as every other player and covered by CBA requirements.

Tahs pay min $220k salary, RA matches this $220k. As per standard, the contract includes match payments for 13 Wallaby games a year, paid on appearance ($12k per game?) = $160k

ARF is paying $1m a year - funded by one of the usual suspects.

That equals the reported $4.8m over three years

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I put it up as their aims do not seem to coincide with buying players any more.

Out of interest another can of worms a one Lyndsay Cattermole is a current director!!!!
Super Rugby and Wallabies are one of the high performance pathway programs.

Building sustainable high-performance pathways’ programs;

Continue to enhance the longterm competitiveness and vitality of Australian Rugby by raising funds from donors and partners to support specific programs.

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
Super Rugby and Wallabies are one of the high performance pathway programs.
$1.2 m in a year (2023) aint going to go too far with all the other programs it caters for......

2022: $220K
2021: $800K
2020: $661K
2019: $1,1M
2018: $1.5M

Oh wait that covers JS in six years with a bit for the other things

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
$1.2 m in a year (2023) aint going to go too far with all the other programs it caters for......

2022: $220K
2021: $800K
2020: $661K
2019: $1,1M
2018: $1.5M

Oh wait that covers JS in six years with a bit for the other things
Using those numbers, you can see where Pocock and Folau stopped getting sponsored by their benefactors.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
You can sum up the RA problem with this message. Someone who says that the Sua'ali'i salary is too much money for a broke entity like RA and you could direct that donation to grassroot, is a moron. Pretty good. Congrats!

Let me tell you, I'm a Waratahs supporter if you didn't see my profile picture and my comments everyday. So I am one of the "winners" with Sua'ali'i-gate. First of all I can't see the Tahs problems being solved with a winger (We need a whole new team but that's other topic) and I say winger cause I can't see Sua'ali'i playing in other position.

On the other hand, I'm a Roosters supporter so I watch all the Chooks games. We celebrated the 300th JWH game beating the Wahs (Warriors). Many Leaguies blame Sua'ali'i cause he is not good enough in defence. Imagine him playing against the Kiwis in Super Rugby or Yawnion as they call our game, that is a more tricky game in defence cause you have to compete at the breakdown and you don't have those 10 meters in every phase. The kid is a hell of a player with the ball in hands and he can kick to the posts, something you miss nowadays in Aussie Super Rugby sides but I think he isn't the saviour.