• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Kick it to Izzy Pass it to Big T.. If it works!!

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
Reds have ‘give it to kerevi’
Rebels have ‘pray Genia creates something and never gets injured’
What’s the brumbies plan? Aside from worshipping sir David, what’s the offence, where’s your attacking messiah? Don’t tell me it’s a team sport

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
What’s the brumbies plan? Aside from worshipping sir David, what’s the offence, where’s your attacking messiah? Don’t tell me it’s a team sport
Maul it scrum it don't give it to the Back..i personal wasn't having a go

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lets not get too excited about the Tahs right now, our reality check starts this week

It is the Lions this Friday. A massive, aggressive pack with backs who will punish loose play

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Lets not get too excited about the Tahs right now, our reality check starts this week

It is the Lions this Friday. A massive, aggressive pack with backs who will punish loose play

Lions haven't exactly lit the world on fire. I'd still back them to get the win, but the Tahs should push them close.

Any word on Izzy?

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
All good teams in all team sports have star players that need their team mates to do their job so they can shine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lions haven't exactly lit the world on fire. I'd still back them to get the win, but the Tahs should push them close.

Any word on Izzy?
They nearly beat the Crusaders, and then put 50 on the Stormers, they are doing Okay

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
"The Australian captain generated two hold-up turnovers in addition to his three steals on the ground".

My god when will we learn to pick a proper 7. It's criminal he keeps getting picked for the Wallabies.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Another interesting article by Nick Bishop on moneyball players. Warning - Hooper and Simmons haters will not like it.
https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/04/...simmons-and-the-fault-line-in-rugby-thinking/
One could argue that the likes of Retallick and Etzebeth are the same but with larger and more athletic bodies.

Reckon Nick Bishop is waaaay off base with this one. People don't think Simmons doesn't have the physical attributes. People think Simmons doesn't use his physical attributes. He has a pearler one in eight games and is pretty average the rest of the time. Always consistent in the scrum and line-out, but rarely offers much else and is a big card/penalty liability. You can't evaluate a player off one game and you especially can't when they have a point to prove (most players play well against their old side).

I'd say the jury is out on Hooper. The guy is a sensational player and has an amazing skillset, don't get me wrong, but the point of Moneyball is that they were using incorrect statistical analysis to evaluate players. There isn't a metric like OBP in rugby union. We still don't know if the best combination (i.e. most likely to result in a Wallaby win) is Hooper, Pocock or Pooper. Personally, I prefer the third option, but just wish we had stronger options at 4 and 6.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon Simmons has put together a few good games in a row and his form is trending in exactly the right direction to be in our best 23 in June.

A couple of the other guys like Philip and Rodda probably haven't kept that early season form going. Tui will need to improve with more game time too.

I reckon people will still be saying the jury is out on Hooper when he is running out for his 120th test match.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'd say the jury is out on Hooper. The guy is a sensational player and has an amazing skillset, don't get me wrong, but the point of Moneyball is that they were using incorrect statistical analysis to evaluate players. There isn't a metric like OBP in rugby union. We still don't know if the best combination (i.e. most likely to result in a Wallaby win) is Hooper, Pocock or Pooper. Personally, I prefer the third option, but just wish we had stronger options at 4 and 6.

images

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

The point of Moneyball was that they were making qualitative assessments of players based on certain physical attributes which was flawed to some extent. They instead chose to focus purely on quantitative (numerical) assessment of the players and adjusted their player recruitment accordingly.

The point he was making is that statistically Hooper is a pretty damn good player and is still improving.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
We are looking at two different points from Moneyball- although it is fair to say that both are accurate. Statistically speaking Hooper is an exceptional player and I think I have miscommunicated my point based on your and WCR's reaction. When I say the jury is still out, what I mean is that I don't think we know what the best combination is: Hooper, Pocock or Pooper. Not that he is any less of an exceptional athlete. What I am saying is that, as opposed to baseball, we don't know which statistics are best for predicting wins. Pocock I think generally is accepted to apply better pressure on the defensive breakdown (and I believe the stats back this up). Hooper I think generally is accepted to be a better ball runner and support player (and I believe the stats back this up). Which is more valuable? Which better predicts a Wallaby win? Is playing them both the best option (my opinion with the right mix i.e. No Hanigan)? We could equally say that the jury is out on Pocock- but the article wasn't about him. Truth be told, I think Rugby maybe too dynamic a game to ever get the jury to decide on a Hooper/Pocock/Pooper debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.