• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Looking at this years squad, we have a few areas of vulnerability and the most prominent of these are in the forward pack (the second row and a lack of viable, heavyweight ball-runners). With that in mind, I've been looking at what options we have to target to recruit in 2019, and I've come up with the following list.

Overseas:
  • Pat Sio should never have left Oz, how one of our Super sides didn't sign Pat up's a shame. Could/should grow into a solid 8 at an Oz squad.
  • Scott Fardy/Dave Dennis/James Horwill probably all too old to press for the 23 in any squad. Fillers at best.
  • Sean McMahon doubt if Sean would sign for any squad other than the Reds. Is he too similar to Dempsey for the Tahs?
  • Will Skelton would have to see a lot of improvement on the training track from Will to entertain a return. Even if he has I'd prefer to look elsewhere.
  • Curtis Browning see McMahon.
Queensland Reds:
  • Karmichael Hunt MMmmm. Yes, the Tahs could do with a bit of depth at 12 and 15.
  • Angus Scott Young see McMahon.
  • Caleb Timu Thorn's not stupid, Timu won't be available elsewhere in Oz.
ACT Brumbies:
  • Rory/Richie Arnold if either of them want permanent game time, yes, I'd take one.
  • Valetini/Naisarani Naisarani was invisible last Saturday, let him keep it up in Canberra.
Melbourne Rebels:
  • Hardwick Mick, why are you so fixated on the Tahs picking up more back rowers? The Shute Shield fill-ins have performed rather well the last two years.
  • RHP only if he can play 4 or 5, I'd prefer Philip.
  • Jeffries ditto, but only if he's fit.
  • Timani this bloke's had enough opportunities to be a first-choice Super player, does he want it enough?

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
The only players we need to poach/repatriate are Lukhan Tui and Jack Maddocks. Would also like to see Opeti Helu in NSW after his Mormon mission is over this year.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I watched Helu at schoolboy level and he is a very exciting prospect. Big prop with a massive running game (think Tongan Thor) who was easily best on ground when NZ played AUS schools in 2016. Of course the Waratahs have a number of young props coming through and given he hasn't played for a couple of years he's not going to be straight into the mix but he is definitely the sort of schoolboy prodigy that we don't want to lose to league in the same way we lost Crichton, Kalyn Ponga etc.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I watched Helu at schoolboy level and he is a very exciting prospect. Big prop with a massive running game (think Tongan Thor) who was easily best on ground when NZ played AUS schools in 2016. Of course the Waratahs have a number of young props coming through and given he hasn't played for a couple of years he's not going to be straight into the mix but he is definitely the sort of schoolboy prodigy that we don't want to lose to league in the same way we lost Crichton, Kalyn Ponga etc.

He looks dominant in his highlights reel. Which may not be the best indication of his ability to translate to senior footy but hopefully. I personally think he'd suit our game more than League but it will probably come down to money.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I was thinking about Pat Sio on the way home last night and it got me thinking.

Do the Waratahs approach potential future recruits in order to let them know that they're on their radar?

I ask because Pat has had conditioning / commitment problems in the past (if my sources are correct in their appraisal of him), and the knowledge that Tahs scouts are looking at him would likely cause him to work a lot harder throughout the regular Shute Shield season.

This is particularly important given the massive conditioning gap between the Shute Shield and Super Rugby.

I have several friends who've played first grade for top of the table teams for a number of years who eat horribly, train casually, and drink / smoke / indulge in other ways incessantly.

Hell, the amount of them that play hungover regularly is incredible given that the position that the SS wants to hold in Australian rugby.

These blokes are good footy players but you wouldn't want them in the Tahs. If they knew that higher honours were possible, perhaps they'd give it a more serious crack.

It would require absolutely minimal effort for the Tahs to hold an open day at the start / middle / end of the season with the Shute Shields finest to walk them through professional standards, example training regimes etc.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
It would require absolutely minimal effort for the Tahs to hold an open day at the start / middle / end of the season with the Shute Shields finest to walk them through professional standards, example training regimes etc.

big like

RubixCube

Frank Nicholson (4)
Just a quick one, been ZERO chat, from what I can see on the Izzy situation, I for one am ashamed of his comments, even more embarrassed about the weak response from the ARU (remember Quade got a 10k fine for saying the ARU sanctioned video game was shit!!) As an avid Waratahs and Aussie fan, I will not care one iota when he leaves to go back to the knuckle-draggers in league, I hope he goes, good riddance I say. No place for this hate speech in Union.
I'm leaving this here - we tried a rational discussion, it didn't work. We're not trying it again. Thanks. - Edit by Mod.........guess who?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Anyone else think Damien Fitzpatrick is quietly putting together a very strong season? Has shown great hands in the lead up to a number of tries, lineout throwing is very good and seems to be doing a good job in the scrum. Could be a smokey for Wallabies squad selection.

RubixCube

Frank Nicholson (4)
Anyone else think Damien Fitzpatrick is quietly putting together a very strong season? Has shown great hands in the lead up to a number of tries, lineout throwing is very good and seems to be doing a good job in the scrum. Could be a smokey for Wallabies squad selection.

Yeah was not a huge fan when he played NRC but I agree he has been top notch so far, do you think the addition of Cron to the Tahs forwards, has meant they are actually been coached and taught techniques etc?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah was not a huge fan when he played NRC but I agree he has been top notch so far, do you think the addition of Cron to the Tahs forwards, has meant they are actually been coached and taught techniques etc?
I think the general skill level of the Waratahs has improved. Jake Gordon’s box kicking has improved, Taqele hasn’t had far so many loose carries, forwards like Fitzpatrick have improved their hands. Whether or not that’s all down to Cron is a different matter but they do seem to have improved skill wise since he took up a coaching role.

RubixCube

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think tagele not carrying around an extra 20kg is a massive advantage, the team selection promo video still has him at 125kg, that's incorrect now right??
I also think we have some competition at a number of positions, do you think Phipps walks back into the 9 next week?

I think the general skill level of the Waratahs has improved. Jake Gordon’s box kicking has improved, Taqele hasn’t had far so many loose carries, forwards like Fitzpatrick have improved their hands. Whether or not that’s all down to Cron is a different matter but they do seem to have improved skill wise since he took up a coaching role.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

Yep, there's been a general lift, however still quite a few frustrating errors (dropped ball etc). *Touch wood* it feels like the Tahs have turned a corner, and the end of a shite run is coming to an end (well, until we meet a kiwi team)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think tagele not carrying around an extra 20kg is a massive advantage, the team selection promo video still has him at 125kg, that's incorrect now right??
I also think we have some competition at a number of positions, do you think Phipps walks back into the 9 next week?

Interesting that the latest video from Daryl Gibson with the team announcement yesterday talked about him sitting Taqele out of preseason training until he got to a certain level of weight/fitness.

That tough approach seems to really be paying dividends and he is playing the best rugby of his career and certainly looks in the best shape he has ever been in.

I think Phipps will remain on the bench until he shows some really impressive form. Gordon has been playing well and Gibson certainly wasn't afraid of picking Gordon ahead of Phipps last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.