• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Interesting that the latest video from Daryl Gibson with the team announcement yesterday talked about him sitting Taqele out of preseason training until he got to a certain level of weight/fitness.

That tough approach seems to really be paying dividends and he is playing the best rugby of his career and certainly looks in the best shape he has ever been in.

The biggest difference for Taqele is that he now gets on the outside of his opposite man and just brushes them off. The last few years he didn't have the agility or fitness to do this and tried to run straight over everyone, which has it's time and place, but is so much easier to defend than the big palm. When he scored his first try against the Brumbies a few weeks ago he got on the outside of Speight and Henry barely managed to lay a hand on him, in the past Taqele would have tried to run straight over him and he would have least slowed him down allowing other defenders to get to Taqele.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting that the latest video from Daryl Gibson with the team announcement yesterday talked about him sitting Taqele out of preseason training until he got to a certain level of weight/fitness.

That tough approach seems to really be paying dividends and he is playing the best rugby of his career and certainly looks in the best shape he has ever been in.

I think Phipps will remain on the bench until he shows some really impressive form. Gordon has been playing well and Gibson certainly wasn't afraid of picking Gordon ahead of Phipps last year.

Phipps talked about Taqele's months in the fat club being cardio smashed before he was allowed to lift a weight with the rest of them

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Christianity isn't the only religion that shares that stance on homosexuality (albeit its a conservative view). Islam also isn't a fan (also from a conservative stance) - But if you take it as something that isn't strongly supported in those 2 religions - thats about 4 Billion people..and has been around for a couple thousand years. To label Folau as someone who spouts 'Hate speech' to me seems a tad unfair. He is almost in the majority. Im not a believer and I don't agree with him.but he didnt exactly run around saying he wants all gay people to burn in hell.he just stated what his religion of over a billion and 2000 years dictates. To him and the other 3-4 billion people, what he said is as true to him as us saying the sun will rise tomorrow.
The thread on Israel's comments got canned because it went round and round in circles. Nothing that gets posted is going to change my views, so can we just stick to rugby?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
I think the general skill level of the Waratahs has improved. Jake Gordon’s box kicking has improved, Taqele hasn’t had far so many loose carries, forwards like Fitzpatrick have improved their hands. Whether or not that’s all down to Cron is a different matter but they do seem to have improved skill wise since he took up a coaching role.

Agree on Fitzpatrick. I noted Tolu Latu was on the team sheet for Uni last week but not this week. He must be in the "Not Required" category by Gibson, unless injured.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think the general skill level of the Waratahs has improved. Jake Gordon’s box kicking has improved, Taqele hasn’t had far so many loose carries, forwards like Fitzpatrick have improved their hands. Whether or not that’s all down to Cron is a different matter but they do seem to have improved skill wise since he took up a coaching role.

It has been a couple of years coming

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
The biggest difference for Taqele is that he now gets on the outside of his opposite man and just brushes them off. The last few years he didn't have the agility or fitness to do this and tried to run straight over everyone, which has it's time and place, but is so much easier to defend than the big palm. When he scored his first try against the Brumbies a few weeks ago he got on the outside of Speight and Henry barely managed to lay a hand on him, in the past Taqele would have tried to run straight over him and he would have least slowed him down allowing other defenders to get to Taqele.

Agree and I think it is also the second effort. Getting back to his feet and being in play. 12 months ago no chance.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
There was a thread but it got nuked because the discussion went downhill at a rate of knots.

I will make it clear for those who just don't seem to fucking get it or be able to read.
No more on the Folau issue polluting other threads.
If you want to bang on about it, and fair enough, find somewhere else - this aint the place.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Agree on Fitzpatrick. I noted Tolu Latu was on the team sheet for Uni last week but not this week. He must be in the "Not Required" category by Gibson, unless injured.

Correction: He is on the team sheet for tomorrow per Uni - so obviously "Not Required".

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
It hurts when a commentator (Hurr v Chiefs) notes that Angus Ta'avao has been in fine form since arriving at Hamilton.
Makes you think why he wasn't in form with the Tahs. But yeah, it hurts watching him power on over there.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Makes you think why he wasn't in form with the Tahs. But yeah, it hurts watching him power on over there.
He still has the occasional scrum problem, probably more than most Kiwi props, but his general play is streets ahead of what the Tahs were able to get out of him.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He still has the occasional scrum problem, probably more than most Kiwi props, but his general play is streets ahead of what the Tahs were able to get out of him.

Kulcha, innit?
But seriously, the evidence for the superiority of the NZ system of coaching matured years ago. It's painfully tedious to see the process writ large again and again.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Kulcha, innit?
But seriously, the evidence for the superiority of the NZ system of coaching matured years ago. It's painfully tedious to see the process writ large again and again.

It also helps if you are surrounded by a team of very good players. I thought he was pretty anonymous even playing club rugby, frankly.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes our Achilles heal is lack of quality coaches and coaching - something rod kafers new role about fixing!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I will make it clear for those who just don't seem to fucking get it or be able to read.
No more on the Folau issue polluting other threads.
If you want to bang on about it, and fair enough, find somewhere else - this aint the place.
So be interesting to see how Folau goes in returning from injury to see how all the recent furore (discussed on other threads but not here!)

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
So be interesting to see how Folau goes in returning from injury to see how all the recent furore (discussed on other threads but not here!)

It's been good to see the Tahs put together some wins without Folau, shows at least some depth and proving we don't just have a "kick it to Izzy" mindset

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's been good to see the Tahs put together some wins without Folau, shows at least some depth and proving we don't just have a "kick it to Izzy" mindset
Not that kicking it too Izzy a bad thing and indeed perhaps underexploited thing in seasons past....

Status
Not open for further replies.