• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I think they would find it pretty hard to find space for an extra 10,000 seats given the changes to the superstructure, specifically the new roof would rule out the chance of extending stands at the tryline ends.
6f7e8c72e84a4781d3327a8d4add3875

T

TOCC

Eden Park only had 60k for RWC 2011 and pretty sure International Stadium Yokohama which will host the 2019 final is only 72k.

Japan's Rugby World Cup winning bid first had the new Olympic Stadium as the Grand Final host(80k), however delay's in the start of construction in that stadium meant a compromise had to be made and it was shifted to the International Stadium Yokohama instead.

But yeah, I think World Rugby would be somewhat flexible when it comes to the stadium requirements and I don't see it effecting RA's bid too significantly given the quality of stadiums elsewhere in the country which will host fans over the duration of the tournament

But we digress

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
It's hardly fantasy, similar projects have been done all across the world, NSW Govt have already called to tender for proposals for developing the airspace above the lines, and QLD Govt has support support to a market lead proposal of developing a new Indoor Stadium above the Roma Street Rail Train Station.

Unfortunately, I don't think it really matters if similar projects have been done across the world when you're dealing with the NSW State Government. They just bought new trains that are too wide for the tracks. Really wouldn't surprise me if the new stadium isn't in anyway an improvement on the existing SFS.

What they should do is speak to the people who designed the new stadium in Perth that replaced the WACA. I know it's not a rugby field but it has got excellent reviews over its facilities and the atmosphere it builds.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Unfortunately, I don't think it really matters if similar projects have been done across the world when you're dealing with the NSW State Government. They just bought new trains that are too wide for the tracks.

Crap. The Sydney rail network was set to a standardised width some time in the 50s, apart from some upper Blue Mountains stations which were built for steam trains. EVERY NSW state government since hasn't bitten the bullet and put the work in on those few platforms (about 10) that are too narrow for the trains which run on the Sydney network, apart from the (very old) inter-city V sets which are being replaced by the new, wider, trains. Some administration some time or other has make a decision to widen those upper BM platforms; this lot has the money and decided to do it now.

For those of you who don't know the Sydney train network extends from Dungog and Scone in the Hunter Valley, Bathurst in the west and Goulburn and Bomaderry in the south-west and south. After this remedial work's completed on those BM stations every train in the Sydney network will fit on every Sydney network platform.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Fair enough, perhaps I let my general pessisim towards the alleged benefits of any state government infrastructure plans (Labor or Liberal) get ahead of me. As someone who does occasionally frequent the BM line it is a bit frustrating but as you say if it has to be done it has to be done and it sounds like they made the right decision in this case. Anyway, back to the Waratahs I’ve sidetracked the thread enough.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Folau's injury is a problem but hopefully it isn't too serious. Gibson suggested it could be three or four weeks.

In terms of timing it is fairly adventageous that we've got the Sunwolves next week but we'll miss his big time against the Reds and Lions.

He should be back on deck well and truly for our four NZ games which will be the crucial part of the season if we are to be any chance.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Anything said on Beale’s ribs? He finished the games, so I assume he is okay, but he copped a far whack.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Folau's injury is a problem but hopefully it isn't too serious. Gibson suggested it could be three or four weeks.

In terms of timing it is fairly adventageous that we've got the Sunwolves next week but we'll miss his big time against the Reds and Lions.

He should be back on deck well and truly for our four NZ games which will be the crucial part of the season if we are to be any chance.

On a positive note, I thought Newsome was very handy when he came on last night. A fair way ahead of Cam Clark and Kellaway at the moment.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Big Taqule made a no-arms tackle on Muirhead with out the ball as Taliauli was scoring his try. Had the try not been scored, he might have come under scrutiny.

Rory Arnold's high tackle was was simply a weak decision by the ref. Arm went over the shoulder, sure, but wrapped around the other arm carrying the ball and never touched the neck or head. Late in the game, a high shot (I think by Gordon) went unnoticed on Godwin as he made a half break. Arguably, worse than Arnold's effort as it did hit Godwin around the head.

Quite a few other suspect decisions going against both sides in the game, by touchies as well as the ref. WTF was Gardner doing awarding Foley's goal kick that was wide of the right hand upright?

Game would have been different had some decisions been different, but result should still have been the same. Tahs were better and earned their close win.

T

TOCC

I dont think Rory Arnold has anything to field hard done by over, his technique of leading into rucks shoulder first will earn him some time on the sidelines soon enough.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Maybe TOCC but that is a different matter altogether. The high tackle in this game must be one of the softest penalties witnessed in a game of rugby. Symptomatic of the way the game is going at the moment?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's a lazy effort from Arnold. Why should the referee not enforce the law of tackling below the line of the shoulders because one player had a lazy technique?

It's particularly silly from Arnold because it is so obvious.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Last comment from me because the discussion is a bit off topic, but there were others in the game just as bad or worse that went unchecked.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There probably were. The difference is how obvious the arm going over the shoulder like that is.

A player tackling with a horizontal arm that ends up a bit high is more likely to get away with it because it is less obvious than an arm that comes directly over one shoulder.

Those penalties are soft in all senses of the word which is why they are such poor discipline. They grant an advantage to the other team with no possible upside to your team.

T

TOCC

Sunwolves have 11 players involved in the Japanese test training squad, those 11 players aren't playing for the Sunwolves in the next 2 games. Tahs should win this game with ease.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sunwolves have 11 players involved in the Japanese test training squad, those 11 players aren't playing for the Sunwolves in the next 2 games. Tahs should win this game with ease.

where did you see what players were involved in the japanese squad?

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Looking at this years squad, we have a few areas of vulnerability and the most prominent of these are in the forward pack (the second row and a lack of viable, heavyweight ball-runners).

With that in mind, I've been looking at what options we have to target to recruit in 2019, and I've come up with the following list. Keep in mind that I didn't have time to sort through each players contract situation, so some players are only available if the Tahs could secure a release from their club.

Overseas:
  • Pat Sio - not technically overseas, as I believe he has now returned from France to play in the Shute Shield. Given that, he'll be an interesting prospect to follow in this years NRC, as he was a very highly rated No. 8 during his u20 campaign, although I believe he had some issues with weight / commitment to training. Hopefully Scott can clip him around the ears.
  • Scott Fardy / Dave Dennis / James Horwill - all of these guys are massively experience Super Rugby players and Wallabies, but, due to their age and their recent departure from Australia, are probably unlikely to return. This is particularly prominent in the case of Horwill, who is now Captain of his side in the UK. Dennis is a Waratahs Club legend and could be tempted to have a crack at the 2019 RWC. He has apparently been playing good minutes for Exeter and has been handy in doing so.
  • Sean McMahon - is often sighted around Australia in his breaks from Japanese rugby. Perhaps he is regretting his decision? Either way, teaming up with Hooper in the backrow is a mouth watering thought. Unlikely though.
  • Will Skelton - this is the most likely of my desired overseas recruits. Skelton was a problem in the great Waratahs forward pack of 2014/15 as we were loaded with ball-runners at the time (Kepu, Hooper, TPN, Skelton, Lousi, Palu, Potgieter, Grey) but not as many lineout operators. We now have the reverse situation. Skelton would fit very well into a pack complemented by Hanigan, Dempsey, Holloway, Simmons etc., and has even been jumping a bit for Saracens in the UK. He has also signalled his desire to return to Australia for the 2019 season. Sign him up.
  • Curtis Browning - could be a decent pick up if we're looking for a reasonable meter-eater Number 8. Won't set the world alight but would be a solid depth option.
Queensland Reds:
  • Karmichael Hunt - the Reds seemingly want nothing to do with this bloke, but he's still a quality footballer and I get the feeling that the ARU / Wallabies want him around. He could be a good signing to bolster our fullback / centre ranks, particularly if Folau continues his form in the wing position or if the rumours of the NRL / Auckland Blues are true. I personally couldn't care about a bit of coke. Play on.
  • Angus Scott Young - I really like the look of this bloke. Abrasive, strong player who needs an opportunity starting at either 8 or 6 for an entire season. Perhaps the Tahs can give it to him.
  • Caleb Timu - very, very, very unlikely that the Reds will let this bloke go after the season he's having, but a boy can dream.

ACT Brumbies:
  • Rory / Richie Arnold - one of the two Arnolds, Enever, Carter and Hyne are surely going to be looking for greener pastures and a 23 position elsewhere. Given the size and mongrel of the two Arnolds, I'd be looking to target them. Richie isn't as entrenched in the Brumbies program, and is probably the more likely of the two to jump ship.
  • Valetini / Naisarani - are these two players too similar? Is there space for both of them in a balanced backrow? If not, one could be ripe for the picking. Worth investigating.

Melbourne Rebels:

This is where the real opportunities lie. The Rebels squad is currently about six times the size of the other three franchises combined, and there is no way they'll be able to retain all of their talent.

In the back-row they have available to them: Mafi, Cottrell, Fainga'a, Hardwick, Timani, Leota, RHP.

In the second row they have: Coleman, Parling, Philip, Timani, RHP, Jeffries, Ha'angana.

Given that, I'd be targeting:
  • Hardwick - this guy is a pedal-to-the-metal, hardrunning bloke who's comfortable at either 6 or 8. He'd be a perfect pick up.
  • RHP - Hanigan but better. Slots well into the 2nd row or at 6.
  • Jeffries - if he can sort out his injuries. A high potential player IMO.
  • Timani - whilst he might snag the 8 jersey with Mafi gone in 2019, he's not mobile enough for 6 and seems to be caught in no mans land in the Rebels backrow. Could be a good Skelton-esque second rower for the Tahs.

Thoughts? I personally think Hardwick, Skelton, Richie Arnold and Pat Sio are very viable recruits, and would all go a long way to balancing out the Tahs pack.

Jesus Christ I can't believe I'm already thinking about next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.