• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
JP is a rock, he was stuck behind Sio at the Brumbies but definitely a good player. Ruan is probably the better player, though!

Edit: thought above post was about JP Smith, was wrong.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I didn't know that Jordan Petaia played prop.

And if he was playing for the Brumbies last year that's gotta be some kind of record even if he didn't get on the field surely just being in the Squad as sub 17 is worth note! :p

Have we hard anything about Lance's concussion?

If Lance is out do we have to start Stewart (noting Paia'aua looked pretty wrecked on during the pregame), is Lucas a viable option at 10?
Does Sorovi start -- he looked electric against the Chiefs. Just like you want to see from a guy who only just missed out on making the 23 and spent a couple of months waiting for his opportunity. (Surely he starts if we start Lucas at 10.)

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
And if he was playing for the Brumbies last year that's gotta be some kind of record even if he didn't get on the field surely just being in the Squad as sub 17 is worth note! :p

Have we hard anything about Lance's concussion?

If Lance is out do we have to start Stewart (noting Paia'aua looked pretty wrecked on during the pregame), is Lucas a viable option at 10?
Does Sorovi start -- he looked electric against the Chiefs. Just like you want to see from a guy who only just missed out on making the 23 and spent a couple of months waiting for his opportunity. (Surely he starts if we start Lucas at 10.)

I'd start Stewart in Lieu of a injured Jono Lance.

As for backup 10? Thorn too prideful to bring Quade Cooper back into the squad. Does a Paia'aua olive branch get him back into the Matchday 23? I think Paia'aua looked good in club rugby last Saturday against my bulldogs. That's who i hope even though im praying for QC (Quade Cooper) someway somehow.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Jake Strachan is also another flyhalf option. plays his club rugby for the Dragons.
He does have a better goal kicking boot then Paia'aua.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If Lance is out I'd expect Lucas to be n the bench as back up 10.

Interesting that someone pointed out the similarity between Thorn and Deans. I think they both struggle with the Australian Rugby landscape, Deans though was obviously a much better coach. In NZ you could afford to take a hard line stance because the next guys are that far away. Over here there is a big drop off in the talent.

I'm really struggling with the inconsistency around selection. In some spots he changes guys at will, in others he sticks with the same guy. How Stewart hasn't had a start is beyond me.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
So talk of the town is Lance is out for at least one week, Paia'aua is out and there is talk about surgery likely at least 5 weeks.

I think in that case the best choice would be to swallow pride and call up Quade either off the bench or to start, but we all know that's not going to happen, so we'll set that for the moment. Stewart hasn't played a full game since the NRC, I'd be worried going into a game without someone who can at least fill in at 10 (like Paia'aua or Lucas). Lucas hasn't exactly been consistent either.

Given all of the above, I think the best way to deal with this situation is to start Stewart with either Sorovi or Tuttle. With Lucas (9/10/12/15) and Petaia (11/13/14) enabling the 6/2 split (that's always a good thing given the overabundance of good forwards). While Stewart hasn't played mega minuets but if his NRC and U20's form is any guidance he'd play games back to back if you'd let him. Then Sorovi or Tuttle should be able to play the full 80. You'd then want and can easily expect one of your 9/10 to play the full 80. Obviously the rest of the backline is kept the same.

Sorovi/Stewart
Kerevi/CFS
Perese/Daugunu

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
So how about this backline for next week:

9. Tuttle
10. Lucas
11. Perese
12. Paia'aua
13. Kerevi
14. Daugunu
15. Toua

21. Sorovi
22. Stewart
23. Ngamanu

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
So how about this backline for next week:

9. Tuttle
10. Lucas
11. Perese
12. Paia'aua
13. Kerevi
14. Daugunu
15. Toua

21. Sorovi
22. Stewart
23. Ngamanu

I'm pretty sure Paia'aua isn't going to be available, setting aside the mermerings I've heard (he might be having surgery), at the pre game last week he was struggling to limp off the field - perhaps it was just 'I'm sore from club) but it looked way way worse than that. I'm pretty sure he's 100% not playing this week!

Why Ngamanu over JP who's looked good the last few weeks?
Why Tuttle not coming via the bench (as most everyone else has)? Also I feel like Sorovi showed a lot he could be worth a look at starting over Tuttle who's not looked promising (I do think it's not Tuttle's fault -- LANCE, but he's looked bad).

I don't dislike that side but too many changes, Thorn hasn't looked to be one to make sweeping changes if he doesn't have to.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I believe I read earlier in the week on rugby.com.au that Sorovi is starting on Saturday.

I have no idea who’s going to be taking the goal kicking duties but Tuttle makes most sense if Lance is out unless you delegate responsibility to Stewart.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I believe I read earlier in the week on rugby.com.au that Sorovi is starting on Saturday.

I have no idea who’s going to be taking the goal kicking duties but Tuttle makes most sense if Lance is out unless you delegate responsibility to Stewart.

I don't know why everyone is down on Stewarts goal kicking abilities, sure he's no Jonny Wilkinson or Leigh Halfpenny but he's generally a good kicker of the ball and is a capable goal kicker.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't know why everyone is down on Stewarts goal kicking abilities, sure he's no Jonny Wilkinson or Leigh Halfpenny but he's generally a good kicker of the ball and is a capable goal kicker.

Im not down on Stewart goal kicking.

I'm simply saying without Lance/Tuttle on the field at the same time then you're going to have to give that responsibility to someone... I.E Stewart.

I think you just wanted to use my post to segway into another Hamish Stewart appreciation post.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
my reds backs team for this wkend game:
9. M Sorovi
10. H. Stewart
11. J. Petaia
12. S. Kerevi
13. C. Feauai-Sautia
14. F. Daugunu
15. A.Toua
21. B.Lucas
22. I.Pereze
23. Nabuli :)

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
my reds backs team for this wkend game:
9. M Sorovi
10. H. Stewart
11. J. Petaia
12. S. Kerevi
13. C. Feauai-Sautia
14. F. Daugunu
15. A.Toua
21. B.Lucas
22. I.Pereze
23. Nabuli :)

I too believe there could be a chance that Jordan Petaia gets his first start on the wing.

No idea why but just comments from post game match that thorn said Petaia played well and Perese this far into the season returning from his injury has looked underwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.