• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
I agree with the notion we need to update our assistants next year but I’m gonna give Carozza a pass because he was essentially paired with Brad Thorn in the u20s/NRC so Thorn could be mentored as a coach from somebody who’s been doing it for years.

The pairing of Thorn/Carozza at super rugby level was warranted based on their synergy and the results they had in 2017 but this season our backline is not firing and Carozza must take some fault for that.

Very difficult to work these 2 out... Warranted selection? maybe or that's all the Reds could afford. Thorn hasn't convinced me yet just a pied piper & I've never rated Carozza, he's always "just been" an assistant, two of the best players for country not playing this weekend, I think Bobbies getting it coached out of him & as for DP the feud continues.....

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Tuttle just SEEM to have the half qualities to be much more than he currently is.

DP has fallen from grace (with BT) and I ponder why is that ?

Lance is a great front line defender but stands too deep in attack (which is a bit of a failing when compared to top 10's). It may now be an opportune time to give Stewart (Zero's mate) more time or even contemplate starting him. We now know what Jonno brings and remembering that he is off to England for next year, it may be time to inject young Hammish and give him a crack.

Our wingers don't appear to get quality ball from our bash brothers centres. Other teams are marking up against Samu and Chris and they don't seem to have any options other than the crash ball type of attack.

Toua doesn't seem to inject himself into the attack anywhere near enough.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Tuttle just SEEM to have the half qualities to be much more than he currently is.

DP has fallen from grace (with BT) and I ponder why is that ?

Lance is a great front line defender but stands too deep in attack (which is a bit of a failing when compared to top 10's). It may now be an opportune time to give Stewart (Zero's mate) more time or even contemplate starting him. We now know what Jonno brings and remembering that he is off to England for next year, it may be time to inject young Hammish and give him a crack.

Our wingers don't appear to get quality ball from our bash brothers centres. Other teams are marking up against Samu and Chris and they don't seem to have any options other than the crash ball type of attack.

Toua doesn't seem to inject himself into the attack anywhere near enough.

I actually was thinking maybe Toua out and Lance/Stewart shair 10/15 duties.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Not that I disagree with you RH, but you do only seem to post about the reds when they are going shit

Well that has been pretty much the case since they established their self proclaimed "dynasty" at the end of a marvellous 2011 season, so he would have had to cease posting since then for this to not seem the case. May as well say the same thing for me about the Tahs every year excepting 2014.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I agree with the notion we need to update our assistants next year but I’m gonna give Carozza a pass because he was essentially paired with Brad Thorn in the u20s/NRC so Thorn could be mentored as a coach from somebody who’s been doing it for years.

The pairing of Thorn/Carozza at super rugby level was warranted based on their synergy and the results they had in 2017 but this season our backline is not firing and Carozza must take some fault for that.

Quade would be high on my list of future assistant attack coaches. Unless of cause he was playing.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thorn maintained his hard line, stating the Reds were “going in a different direction”
What direction is Thorn talking about, seems very much the same as the last few years.
Quade’s direction looks pretty good though

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
Thorn’s management skills are looking very much like those of Robbie Deans. Players seem to be excluded without any chance to return.

Deans’ tenure as wallaby coach was characterised by selection mysteries, poor performances and a lack of accountability and I see many similarities to the current Reds.

This talk of ‘culture’ is absolute bullshit and being used as a smoke-screen for the fact that the team is without direction and lacking in the basic skills needed to compete effectively.

Employing Thorn was a risk and he hasn’t made any recognisable improvements since he took over. He has boxed himself into a corner and it’s looking increasingly likely he won’t be able to get out.

We’ve been lead down a blind gully - again.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Employing Thorn as HC wasn't a risk, it was a mistake. That mistake was obvious to many and the blinkers seem to have come off from many of the "Brad is messiah" group.

But the mistake is made and culling him, Aus Prime Minister like, would not be a good look, and has not just no likelihood of better success, but every likelihood of worse.

So logic is to look at where his strengths and weaknesses and how you augment this. It needs a better management behind Thorn, a plan giving three years is the only thing solid right now - no matter how much many here would like his head immediately.

To me the players look like they respond to him, and that individual performances, within the guidance the coaching team provides, are pretty good. They looked flat, pretty much across the park, that also doesnt sound like individual problems but something within the coaching and/or S&C. Swapping personnel does not seem to me to be the answer.

Our forward attack seemed to lack direction. I don't agree in shooting Lucas, who looks quite workmanlike at 9 at Super level. But Sorovi etc, will they be any better, Genia like, driving the pigs? Whichever one is to do it, it needs the coaching team to bring the 9 into the forwards and coach hard around the pig strategy. Individuals look fine. Game strategy seems missing, and even Genia would either struggle, or not "follow our direction". Which is hard to do without one.

Quade, who would be in my team in less than a heart beat, would make approx nil impact on organisation of the backline in D. Jono possibly would be stronger here, and not nonsencical in my view with Kerevi to organise the D. To the strategy. IF THERE IS ONE. One bloke who might do better in this organising barking could be Hunt. Without Hunt, the blokes we have are fine, we just need a strategy.

Likewise there seems little organisation in backline attack. Now Quade could do better in this, no doubt. But in the absence of a strategy to be implementing, would no doubt dominate procedings in a way that fails the Thorn "new direction". Quade's "do what is in front of him" is not a game strategy, and barring someone like Link/Chook Fowler, it is not an easy thing to build a strategy around. It is not hard to see the compatibility problems between Quade and Thorn's "new direction".

Thorn needs a strategist, and one that he can trust and build a relationship with. We need to spend the rest of the season hunting for one, and maybe fill a gap for now.

For now, as quite a few predicted, we have a long season in front of us.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I thought at the time that Thorn was a mistake, but it's become very clear that the biggest mistake was hiring Carozza at the same time.

Thorn desperately needs someone on his team who can put some sensible structure in place with ball in hand.

15 tries in 8 games is ridiculous and is the issue this team needs to address immediately.

They are conceding points as well, but at a similar rate to the rest of the competition. It's the lack of points that's killing them

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Doesn't the fact that after (allegedly) not less that two 'rigorous global searches for experienced, senior rugby coaches' (one in Graham's time, one at the end of his time) and that the resulting 'findings' have been:

- renew Graham as HC
- promote Stiles as HC
- promote Thorn as HC

indicate that the problem is deep in the culture and capability of the recent QRU and that the promotion of Thorn indicates that precisely nothing was learnt between 2013 and 2017 (a mere five years of failure) and thus we are governed by an organisation that has no rugby wisdom nor, even worse, has the capacity to accumulate rugby wisdom from very painful lessons learnt.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I seem to be only one here mentioning the extremely odd choice of the QRU in hiring the failed McGahan as 'mentor and senior assistant' coach to Thorn.

What on earth was this all about on any considered, rational grounds given what the 2018 Reds badly needed?

Rather it looks like the 'good old boys of QLD rugby history' again indulging their reckless and blind preference for the known mate vs the essential proven professional capability wherever it may have to arise from.

The ONLY time in the last 15 years that the QRU has done anything bar flounder aimlessly, induce mediocrity and/or outright fail stupendously was when, in crisis' midst, 2 total outsiders were brought in as HC and CEO respectively in late 2009.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I seem to be only one here mentioning the extremely odd choice of the QRU in hiring the failed McGahan as 'mentor and senior assistant' coach to Thorn.

What on earth was this all about

Avoiding things like:
1. not managing to arrange a true trial, when half the world was in Brisbane for the 10s.
2. experience in admin for international travel - like not having to travel from Argentina to Africa without flying via Heathrow.

It is called experience. (I guess.) Scary thought is if he thinks he is in the box for when the Reds HQ get's around to realising their Thorn error. No reason to think that we the baby gone with the bath water.

edit PS you are not the only one thinking it.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)

If you seriously think you're the only one who reckons McGahan was a dodgy hire you need your head read:

Coupling with McGahan is genius. Sure McGahan has just coached the worst professional rugby team in Australian history, but it's not like he has also just coached THE WORST DEFENCE IN AUSTRALIAN RUGBY HISTORY. SERIOUSLY. We upgrade from the worst Defensive coach the Reds have ever seen to the worst defensive coach Australia has ever seen.

"Senior Assistant Coach". Almost, but not quite, as bad as, "Co Interim Head Coach".

I'm not even luke warm. Could someone who knows TT and Stiles better than me (not hard) want to muse on why this would be a good thing?

It's difficult to believe that this will be a good outcome based on his recent coaching record.

His coaching successes are such a long time ago now that they're probably almost irrelevant to the game today.

tldr: this is a bad decision.

McGahan has shown nothing as an assistant or head coach in Aus that leads me to think his appointment will add much value.

Thorn has no coaching experience of any note, McGahan hasn't been great for the Wallabies or the Rebels and I don't buy into the talk of Mooney being the turning point for the Reds either.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Who said this had anything to do with Brad? It is entirely QRU HQ.

Reshappy did: 'I seem to be only one here mentioning the extremely odd choice of the QRU in hiring the failed McGahan as 'mentor and senior assistant' coach to Thorn.'

Status
Not open for further replies.