• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 19 - Waratahs v Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
It was inevitable that their had to be some improvement to the forwards play and a step up in McKellar's coaching noting everybody could see his game plan was pathetic.

From late Feb:

^^^^It was about the same time he was did an interview and was banging in about the forwards taking the tackle to draw defenders in etc to create attacking opportunities. Really really basic club level stuff.

His lack of pre-season preparation and being indecisive about combination during the trials etc emanating in a lack of cohesion and he pulled back on the offloads and intensity from the forwards and its taken until late season for the players (IMVHO) to disregard him somewhat out of frustration and just play; and its started working.

I think what we are finally seeing after many season of repression is the players being allowed to play and use their natural skills and as a team. There appears to be some game plan (in defence yes, attack bits only) but it been more about individual players skills and certain combinations exploiting opportunities and playing whats in front of them. Its why we are inconsistent. We have patches of great play then it shuts down.

We are the poor version of the old Canes. They could play brilliantly and score etc. But they were inconsistent and when it was a close grind and required all hands they didn't know how to attack etc. IIRC after a change in coach showed them how to keep the natural flair and add in a good game plan and ability to grind out wins and work over teams they become the powerhouse they are now. IMHO that a beyond McKeller's abilities to get to that point in the next 2 seasons. Sadly we had the right cattle this year as we all have seen on the last few weeks.

MST just interested on your thoughts on McKellar as a coach?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
MST just interested on your thoughts on McKellar as a coach?

It is will known I am not a fan of his and was not in favour of his appointment. I was happy to be proved wrong and give him enough rope and we have now had one of the poorest seasons on record at the detriment to a club already struggling to maintain support.

I said at the start of the year he has one of the biggest and experienced coaching group and a good squad so had no real excuse. For me (us) after talking to players during the season post game any player exudes is unsurprising. I have never encountered such jaded and frustrated players who appeared disenchanted. That has improved a little of late.

His only success as a a coach was a club level with a team either of us could have coached to a premiership (It was the last year of a 4 year run as premiers!). His next head coaching appointment was at NRC level and its the worst season the NRC Vikings have ever had. IIRC the game plan was heavily forwards focused and over all poor wasting all his backs. He was heavily criticised and lasted only one season in charge. It also is the key reasons many did not want him to succeed Larkham. Since then all the local club grade coaches have had better success than the Brumbies assistant. EG: Tim Sampson now of the Force coached them to the GF.

Brad Thorn has a better coaching record with far less experience and in his rookie year with no lead in or transition period (unlike McKellar) has taken an arguably inferior squad to one less win then the Brumbies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Terribly disappointed by the Tahs defence, so many first up tackles missed by units that don't usually miss

I thought Beale & Foley would be targetted and the issue, but Rona missed a million tackles

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Terribly disappointed by the Tahs defence, so many first up tackles missed by units that don't usually miss

I thought Beale & Foley would be targetted and the issue, but Rona missed a million tackles
His positioning was worse. Often wasn't even there to make the tackle. I think he sank any chances of stealing the gold jersey with that naive performance.

The match was summed up when Taqele made that break when they were still within touching distance. 0 support runners. They couldn't be fucked. If the players can't be fucked why should anyone.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

TK made an absolute meal of Rona, I think Rona confidence went as soon as he throw that intercept and he never really recovered.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ay BH where is this amazing throwing Fitzpatrick is supposed to have, keeping the form Wallabies hooker out of the side eh?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just saw this. The Tahs lineout was shocking and a big problem in the first half when the Brumbies slipped out to a big lead. All our good attacking opportunities were wasted on the back of a poor lineout.
On a side note, Gardner stuffed up when he let the Brumbies bring on McInerney for a lineout when Fainga'a was in the bin. That shouldn't have been allowed and another forward should have thrown the lineout.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Just saw this. The Tahs lineout was shocking and a big problem in the first half when the Brumbies slipped out to a big lead. All our good attacking opportunities were wasted on the back of a poor lineout.
On a side note, Gardner stuffed up when he let the Brumbies bring on McInerney for a lineout when Fainga'a was in the bin. That shouldn't have been allowed and another forward should have thrown the lineout.
Eh, i get kind of ranty after a few beers.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It certainly improves the case for Latu to start the quarter final though.

The lineout has been one of the key things Fitzpatrick has hung has hat on this year. If that falters it makes it a lot less compelling to start him.

What_the...

Peter Burge (5)

He also had a shocker penalising Kepu coming around the back of the line out when Tahs never engaged. No mall , no offside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What_the...

Peter Burge (5)
Yeah that was a confusing one. It should have gone the otherway. Once Kepu grabs a hold of him every other forward is illegaly obstructing.

He’s normally a pretty good ref, but you would think he would know those rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He also had a shocker penalising Kepu coming around the back of the line out when Tahs never engaged. No mall , no offside.

I think Gardner got that one right. The lineout hasn't finished because the person who caught the ball hasn't left the lineout. The offside line at that point is a line where the ball was.

18.31 Until the ball is thrown in, and has touched the player or the ground, the offside line for lineout players is the mark of touch. After that, their offside line is a line through the ball.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't believe the ball got passed back though. The player who caught the lineout still had it and they hadn't moved so the lineout wasn't over.
Exactly what happened was the right call and Kepu tackled someone with out the ball as it was still with Aronld..one of them.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Exactly what happened was the right call and Kepu tackled someone with out the ball as it was still with Aronld..one of them.

That's not what he got penalised for. He moved into an offside position before the lineout has finished.

If the ball catcher had moved off the line of the lineout then he would have been entitled to come around the other side to engage.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I thought Gardner was great. One of the few refs that understands the fact that they are there to facilitate the game as quickly and as easily as possible. No screwing around with TMOs and replays, good clear communication, consistency with card decisions.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought Gardner was great. One of the few refs that understands the fact that they are there to facilitate the game as quickly and as easily as possible. No screwing around with TMOs and replays, good clear communication, consistency with card decisions.

He could have played a bit more catch up football.

Hasn't he ever reffed an under 12s game that was a bit lopsided? ;)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I agree though. I would be flummoxed if he wasn't one of the four quarter final referees.

My guess: Gardner, Jackson, Peyper and either Rasivhenge or van der Westhuizen.

Status
Not open for further replies.