• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
was there anything further behind Laurie's retirement? That's how I read Tom Carter's tweet.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Reg and Tim I think you are correct he may have got a tap on the shoulder. I spoke to Laurie after the NRC game in Ballarat and he said he had one year left on his contract and was looking forward to it.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Reg and Tim I think you are correct he may have got a tap on the shoulder. I spoke to Laurie after the NRC game in Ballarat and he said he had one year left on his contract and was looking forward to it.

Not a good start to PWC's helping to 'define culture and strategy across the club' if getting rid of a foundation player with one year left is a demonstration of good culture...

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't think its no coincidence that this has happened week one of pre-season. Laurie has been brilliant for the club with the service he has given, but equally the club has been brilliant for him, especially the past 2 years where he has struggled to put a foot on the ground.

From what i gather he will be staying at the club in some capacity.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I don't think its no coincidence that this has happened week one of pre-season. Laurie has been brilliant for the club with the service he has given, but equally the club has been brilliant for him, especially the past 2 years where he has struggled to put a foot on the ground.

Yes, working for the sales team? Perhaps he can get into matchday and work Pipsqueak somehow into matchday entertainment.

I thought he was still finishing off a Batchelors of Education (primary), so he may be on the rounds some day. Imagine that guy teaching your kids - so much fun!

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

It kind of all fits if he did get a tap. Give him a job in commercial and shift the last year of his contract from the salary cap to the admin budget. I would think that if it was at all acrimonious though he probably would not have wanted to stay at the club.

Of course he may have turned up for pre-season and thought "bugger this, I'm out".

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
It kind of all fits if he did get a tap. Give him a job in commercial and shift the last year of his contract from the salary cap to the admin budget. I would think that if it was at all acrimonious though he probably would not have wanted to stay at the club.

Of course he may have turned up for pre-season and thought "bugger this, I'm out".
oh that is exactly how I read it too. Shift him out of the cap especially if he wasn't going to get much game time

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Not the best squad management that, prop was already the rebels weakest position, would've been useful to have weeks salary to sign someone much earlier.

Still provides an opportunity to sure up a weakness though, who's still available? Longbottom maybe?

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

Booo! BOOOOOOOOO!

I don't know if this is a very good look for Dave TBH. For all the plaudits he receives he hasn't actually achieved anything yet as a head coach - except for oversee losing seasons at both the Force and Rebels. His CV would look a hell of a lot better if he can get the Rebels topping the conference and going deep into the finals in the next couple of years.

I'm kind of wondering if this has anything to do with the Todd Louden appointment or if something else has gotten up his nose.

In any case - BOOOOOOOO!

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It'll all come down to Rugby Australia and where they see him in the big picture, i wouldn't be surprised to see him involved in the national set up in the lead up to the world cup and then given an assistants role post world cup. Also interesting to see the money that might be on offer, i have heard rumors that Rugby Australia is looking to employ the coaches that go into the provincial sides, taking the responsibility away from the state unions with the first signing being Jim McKay been appointed at the Reds out of the RA pockets. Someone please correct me if i am wrong.

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
Is there an up to date 2019 Rebels team list anywhere , the website is still showing Mafi ,Debra etc etc

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Booo! BOOOOOOOOO!

I don't know if this is a very good look for Dave TBH. For all the plaudits he receives he hasn't actually achieved anything yet as a head coach - except for oversee losing seasons at both the Force and Rebels. His CV would look a hell of a lot better if he can get the Rebels topping the conference and going deep into the finals in the next couple of years.

Agreed, must have good PR because hasn't actually achieved much so far, but that doesn't seem to matter in Australia - look at Larkham and Grey and Thorn - ability as players yes, lots of hype as coaches and either end up in the national setup or get talked about needing to be in there. Meanwhile there are guys like Rob Penney in Japan who that Welsh article mentioned was going to a Welsh club but now is staying in Japan - how many other proven NPC/Mitre 10 or English/Irish/French competition proven coaches are out there that have a genuine coaching track record but don't have the playing CV? I'd much prefer a career coach instead of someone who is parachuted into high level coaching once they stop playing.

B

Bobby Sands

I'm pretty sure I saw Laurie on the news tonight for a demons promotion - does he play golf?

I saw Lawrie having a skinful at Fargo on the weekend, even had a quick beer with Dom Ship. They are both clearly enjoying retirement. Although I get the impression they enjoyed their playing careers in the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.