• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2019

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
On the players:
- High praise for Samu, McCaffrey, and Kuridrani. All three were damaging runners and excellent defenders. Powell, Valetini, and Ala'alatoa deserve praise for their strong defence as well.
- Speight had an absolute shocker. He's become such a confidence and form player, and we saw how much that affected him at the start of last season before he turned it around (along with the rest of the team). His defensive errors in the lead up to their first try are textbook mistakes. We won't be worse off without him in this form.
- Fainga'a did his work well, which is a relief. On the three lineout steals: a good jumper who keeps challenging you at the front should steal some throws; front ball is the easiest when not challenged, but the most difficult when under contest.
- Muirhead ultimately cost us another try with his casual approach to letting a kick bounce three or four times before securing the ball. I think tremendously highly of him, but that was an uncharactaristic error that I hope remains the exception rather than becomes the norm.
- Simone made one howler kicking, but otherwise was generally very good. I'm happy with him as another exit option, and, if Muirhead comes in to cover Pulu, we will have four good kicking options in our backline.

On the game as a whole:
-
I honestly believe that was one of the lowest quality games we have seen from the Brumbies (and the Rebels, to be fair). Naisarani and Faulkner were the only Rebels to not miss a tackle. Ainsley's many scrum penalties make him look like a less-good Toby Smith against Italy in 2017. While there were strong individual performances on both sides, neither team played well.
- Defence is not optional in Rugby and both teams need to improve in this. Only one try in the game was the result of a well-executed attack; all others were terrible defending.
- I hate playing the Rebels.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I always believe the Brumbies can win and this Chiefs game will be no different. They were lucky to be close to a Highlanders team that was very non-Highlanders: lots of possession, lots of territory, not many points. Not saying it will be easy (they're the bloody Chiefs), but we can win.

Our players have the quality, we just played like trash against the Rebels. Get the players to watch the tape and remind them that preseason is over. We missed the finals last year because of a similar fuck-up against the Rebels at home. Skills and ability is there, but midsight was so, so lacking in the Rebels game.

Bring Sio in to start (no slight on Slipper, but Sio made as many tackles in a third of the time and was a stronger scrummager), backrow of Valetini-Samu-McCaffrey, Muirhead and Taliauli on the wings with Peni to cover on the bench.

Sio, Fainga'a, Ala'alatoa, Arnold, Carter, Valetini, Samu, McCaffrey, Powell, Lealiifano, Taliauli, Simone, Kuridrani, Muirhead, Banks
Mann-Rea, Slipper, Makin, Enever, Cusack, Lucas, JJH, Peni

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd consider two changes to that lineup Roffy. I don't think Blake Enever adds a whole lot to the team beyond his lineout abilities, and would like to see Darcy Swain come into the side for his more aggressive style of play and he is the equal of Blake at lineout time imo. I am still to be convinced about JJH at Super Rugby level despite some good showing in the NRC. Tom Wright looks to have quality written all over him, so I'd make those two changes to the bench.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'd consider two changes to that lineup Roffy.

Honestly BR, I was considering saying Enever should start ahead of Carter because of that late lineout drop! I think pretty highly of him and expect that he and Swain will be our starters in 2020. Enever has a good running game and tackles well. He is good enough at the set piece at worst, but often has a brilliant performance in these areas. His breakdown work is less than stellar but not a serious issue. Though obviously Swain is the rising sun, and any game time will help his development. Happy either way.

I'm very excited by Wright and want to see him in there now, to be honest. However, I know McKellar wants him to take a few months to re-learn the game, and I suspect that will take the form of some time in clubland (if the whispers I'm hearing are correct, he won't play for the Brumbies this year). JJH had been frustrating in 2016 and 2017, but I thought he brought real spark last season, and his NRC was nothing to sniff at (though we all know how non-indicitive that can be). The inside back bench spot is pretty open, with Lolesio probably the only guy not in the conversation as it stands.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Where would you rate Bayley Kuenzle Roffy? I haven't seen enough of him to know where he would stand. Is he behind Lolesio?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
The kid's a talented prospect, and I wish him well, but I suspect we're going to find ourselves in another Jooste situation. Hawera has the faith of the entire coaching structure and isn't going to be dropped from the team for him. Pasitoa is coming in next year and signs point to him being a real generational talent. Both of these guys will be ahead of Noah.

The only thing in Kuenzle's favour is the contract situation post 2019. It's not clear if either Lealiifano or Hawera will still be here, and, if an offer does come up, Kuenzle will be much more affordable. I have a sneaking suspicion that we won't fight to keep Hawera (in the same way we let Mayhew and Dargaville go despite their value to the team), and Lealiifano will be retained in some capacity in order to mentor the young guns.

There's much more chance that we'll see regular minutes for Mack Hansen, Len Ikitau, and Ryan Lonergan.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Super Rugby Round #1 Team of The Week
13.) Tevita Kuridrani (Brumbies)
Had a 100% tackle success rate from nine attempts, made two clean breaks and gained 43m from six carries.
3.) Allan Ala'alatoa (Brumbies)
Made eight successful tackles from as many attempts, made eight carries for 5m gained, and scored a try.
7.) Peter Samu (Brumbies)
Made a round-high four clean breaks, made two offloads, and was successful with 10/10 tackle attempts.
Source: https://super.rugby/superrugby/news/super-rugby-round-1-team-of-the-week/

Not necessarily the best measure in the world, but the only Australians in the lineup. Edit: and a Romanian at 5.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
^ the second one in 3 months so erring on the side of caution in a World Cup year.

any one who has read any of the concussion stories here and in the US will be concerned about one concussion , but repeated concussions are completely unacceptable

B

Bobby Sands

Noah will be a very logical target for QLD with Duncan leaving. Highly touted up north.