• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2019

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
A reminder with trials: they can be a decent measure of player ability and form, but the overally team form in trials almost never translates to Super Rugby proper.

I'm under no illusion that we'll flog the Rebels like we did on Australia Day.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
A reminder with trials: they can be a decent measure of player ability and form, but the overally team form in trials almost never translates to Super Rugby proper.

I'm under no illusion that we'll flog the Rebels like we did on Australia Day.
They are kind of pointless, imo. Risk of injury and player workload is already massive without superfluous matches thrown in.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I’m a big fan of trial form doesn’t mean shit either BUT Jesus Christ I thought you guys would smoke us and you really didn’t. Hope it turns around for rd1

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Southsider, the Brumbies were comfortably the better team in the first half of the game. There was a distinct lack of cohesion when the reserves for the reserves came on and the Tahs took full advantage.

It will be a different story when all the Wallabies return, but I still think the Tahs will struggle up front this year even with their full complement.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Southsider, the Brumbies were comfortably the better team in the first half of the game. There was a distinct lack of cohesion when the reserves for the reserves came on and the Tahs took full advantage.

It will be a different story when all the Wallabies return, but I still think the Tahs will struggle up front this year even with their full complement.

Fair enough, although I thought the brums reserves were also superior to the tahs reserves, did the tahs not use theirs as much?

I agree even with a fully fit squad the tahs forwards are in trouble

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Eh, the score was close because of two tries in garbage time between reserves. So congrats on the Tahs reserves for being better off the bench against a B team than ours?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies lucky to win that............ that Tom Ross try was laughable, and wouldn't have been allowed in a real game.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
For future reference:
Should win the conference:
The Brumbies should be setting a target of at least making the semi-finals – a feat which they will likely only achieve if they can also top the ladder in the Australian conference. There’s a real chance that the Brumbies could have some hefty momentum heading into the playoffs – not dissimilar to last year when they won four out of their last five matches.They have a squad that is very capable of topping the Australian conference – whether or not they can deliver on this promise, however, is anyone’s guess.
I feel they are the team that have taken the best steps to improve their game. Firstly they have recruited seasoned individuals in guys... which will mean they aren’t relying on inexperience when Wallabies are rested. The competition for spots ... is going to be intense and it is exciting to see who will get the nod as the season progresses.
My gut however says there is only one Australian team that will be primed for it come round 1 and that is our most successful Super Rugby team, the Brumbies.

Could win the conference:
If the Brumbies can pick up where they left off they will be a big threat, especially early in the season. If they struggle to get the connection between their forwards and backs, however, they will miss the finals for a second year in a row.
The Brumbies finished 2018 well, playing some impressive running rugby despite being out of the finals hunt and can't be discounted as conference contender.
With a settled squad and game plan they can now attack 2019 with vigour and look a decent shot at winning the Australian conference.
Two sides to make it into the play-offs: Predicting the Rebels to finish at the summit does not mean the end of the Waratahs as a top-eight contender and they should still challenge. The Brumbies will also fancy their chances of being up there, particularly if David Pocock manages to stay fit.

If the Brumbies start this season as well as they finished last year, anything is possible. McKellar now has the best front row in the country at his disposal and superb depth in the second row. The only thing missing is some X-factor in the backs. If McKellar can find one more diamond in the rough this team is well in the finals football mix.

The Brumbies are trying to balance their strong set-pieces and rolling maul with expansive back play. If they can achieve that combination, they will be competitive.

Second:
Predicted conference finish: 2nd
Waratahs: $2.75 (Conference), $15 (Title)
Brumbies: $3.00 (Conference), $21 (Title)
Rebels: $3.25 (Conference), $51 (Title)
Reds: $12.00 (Conference), $101 (Title)
Sunwolves: $29.00 (Conference), $501 (Title)
Waratahs: $2.70 (Conference), $15 (Title)
Brumbies: $3.00 (Conference), $23 (Title)
Rebels: $3.75 (Conference), $41 (Title)
Reds: $9.50 (Conference), $81 (Title)
Sunwolves: $41.00 (Conference), $401 (Title)

Third/not even considered:
Prediction: Third in the Australian Conference, tenth overall
Up side: some quality forwards, Christian Lealiifano back as skipper, David Pocock itching for a big year.
Down side: safety-first tactics do not transpire into victories, lacking a game breaker in the outside backs. Prediction: eighth.

The Brumbies, particularly their coaching staff, don't like it when told the obvious truth -- that in recent years their team have been absolute bores, producing weeks of stodgy, predictable football. Hope they pick their act up in 2019, but it appears unlikely as their squad is pretty pedestrian. Predicted conference finish: Third.
Hard to see the Waratahs not taking out the Australian Conference again, but the Rebels may pull some surprises with their talent-laden backline.
The Waratahs rate as Australia's brightest hope with Ashley Adam-Cooper and Karmichael Hunt joining Bernard Foley, Kurtley Beale and Israel Folau in a first-class backline.
The enigmatic Quade Cooper adds punch to the Melbourne Rebels after moving from the Queensland Reds, where he was frozen out last season by coach Brad Thorn.

No prediction, general preview:
Certainly, they’ve show in their opening trials that won’t kick anywhere near as much in 2019 as they did in recent years, as well as a genuine sparking up and quickly shifting into counter attack when they find themselves with turnover ball. They’re playing a lot simpler, and we’ll find out on Friday night if that trial form has carried over.

The year ahead looks to be a mightily big season for the Brumbies in the sense that 2018 may be described as a transitional year or stepping stone, but a similar performance this season will not be so readily accepted.

to be extended.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Other than Sam Carter that is a great looking side announced.

davos-home-main-22.jpg

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
"That doesn't mean there won't be changes to the team. But in terms of having to rest high-profile players ... we'd be selling our supporters, fans and stakeholders short if we go into a game without five of our Wallabies.
"I don't think that's fair. It's something we showed last year when there was the disagreement. We stood up what was right for the Brumbies that day, and nothing has changed."
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...al-for-super-rugby-coach-20190213-p50xia.html

As it should be.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
2 year contract extension for Dan McKellar has been confirmed
I've never been a fan, but I was back in Canberra with some friends who are very much in Canberra Rugby community, they said he takes the time to come to Junior training and help out alot more then just Super Rugby coach..

If he keeps us playing like the end of last year.. I might just dislike him alot less :)

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So missing for the Chiefs game will be Pocock, Pulu and most likely Speight.

Can see Cusack in at 7, Taliauli at 11 and Muirhead to 14 if Speight is out.