• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2019

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That was Rob Valetini UTG. If he stays fit this year, he will be a big chance of joining Pocock and Naisarani in the Wallabies back row, short of Cheika doing his usual favourites thing.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wagner is a tight-head prop and has come through the Vikings. He played for Brumbies U20 and was in the NRC squad last year. Good prospect and ahead of Tom Ross IMO.

Osborne is in the Brumbies Academy and plays 6. I understand he's a local from Canberra Grammar.

Brown is from Waikato NPC side and is an openside. Don't know much but interesting that he is ahead of Angus Allen and Lolotonga. Brumbies are a bit light-on for back-up backrowers given Hyne's injury and BJ Edwards defection to the Waratahs

Jahrome Brown has been signed on a temporary deal to cover Hyne..........

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...by-chance-in-trial-match-20190125-p50tl3.html

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
That was Rob Valetini UTG. If he stays fit this year, he will be a big chance of joining Pocock and Naisarani in the Wallabies back row, short of Cheika doing his usual favourites thing.
I agree, hopefully he gets a few games under his belt against some high quality NZ opposition because he missed most of those games last year.

Wallaby Way

Herbert Moran (7)
There is a replay of the game on the Brumbies Facebook Page. Tom Wright scored a nice try that wasn't included in the highlights that most would have seen,

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Of the new players, both Wright and Lolesio were impressive, I thought. Osborne also showed some good glimpses late.

Sam Carter is also in good form, continuing from his finish to 2018. The Brumbies will again be well served for locks, with Darcy Swain coming on in leaps and bounds.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
Solid trial match for the Brumbies... I suspect coach Wessels playing mind games with McKeller not playing Quade. Quade a confidence player Wessels is protecting him for round one in Canberra. It don’t think it will matter a hoot.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Anyone know if that live stream is hosted anywhere for review? I've seen the Chance Peni try - looked very promising how the ball was spun wide through the hands (BUT WITH EACH PLAYER FIXING/DRAWING A DEFENDER BEFORE SHIFTING) to unleash Valetini for a superb little run and offload to put Peni in the clear.

Very reminiscent of the last few weeks last season and auspicious for the continuation of that style of play.

Brumbies Facebook page has the reply ...

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My tip is that Sam will be much more appreciated for his skills over there than he is here at home. His form at the end of 2018 and last week in the trial are pointers to a very good 2019 for Sam.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No 12 then becomes a mystery. Irae Simone or JJH? Both had a bit of time there last year. Or Hawera switched to 12? Two playmakers might be the go, but his defence would be suspect. Maybe Tom Wright who had an excellent introduction last week in that spot.

Wright would probably be my preference early on to see if he can make it his own.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
If we reward NRC form, it must be JJH at 12. However, Horwitz is now my go-to example of a guy who was the best player in the NRC one year, and completely out of his depth at Super level the next.

However, I have a tonne of faith in Simone and want to see him form a partnership with Kuridrani. JJH can be the next Bartholomeusz off the bench for us, covering pretty much the entire backline.

Wright would be exciting, but I want him to be given time to re-learn the position and the systems first.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If we reward NRC form, it must be JJH at 12. However, Horwitz is now my go-to example of a guy who was the best player in the NRC one year, and completely out of his depth at Super level the next.

However, I have a tonne of faith in Simone and want to see him form a partnership with Kuridrani. JJH can be the next Bartholomeusz off the bench for us, covering pretty much the entire backline.

Wright would be exciting, but I want him to be given time to re-learn the position and the systems first.

Ironically I think Simone would be a better example of that NRC > Super Rugby form struggle. Horwitz was very good at NRC, but I don't recall him really being in contention for being the best in the NRC.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I thought highly of Simone's appearances for the Tahs, but he was caught behind Beale; no crime in being stuck behind one of the best 12s in world rugby.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I thought highly of Simone's appearances for the Tahs, but he was caught behind Beale; no crime in being stuck behind one of the best 12s in world rugby.

Simone had a season without Beale there and had a decent chance to make 12 his own, he didn't live up to expectations and I believe was replaced by Horwitz for most the season. Not saying I don't want him to do well, but he has struggled to perform at 12.

I'd be going Hawera at 10 and Lealifanio at 12, but if Lealifanio is 10 then its a shootout between JJH/Simone/Wright.

Good to have options :)