• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2019

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well at least Brumbies had good back row depth but feel for Ben Hyne as had so much unfulfilled promise constantly thwarted by injuries.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
probably don't need a match thread for the trial, but Brumbies team for the match v the Rebels this weekend,.

TEAM
1. James SLIPPER, 2. Josh MANN-REA, 3. Leslie LEULUAIALII-MAKIN, 4. Darcy SWAIN, 5. Blake ENEVER, 6. Rob VALETINI, 7. Tom CUSACK, 8. Lachlan MCCAFFREY, 9. Joe POWELL, 10. Wharenui HAWERA, 11. Lausii TALIAULI, 12. Irae SIMONE, 13. Tevita KURIDRANI, 14. Toni PULU, 15. Jordan JACKSON-HOPE

REPLACEMENTS
Forwards: Jahrome BROWN, Sam CARTER, Murray DOUGLAS, Vunipola FIFITA, Connal MCINERNEY, Lachlan OSBORNE, Tom ROSS, Angus WAGNER
Backs: Mack HANSEN, Len IKITAU, Bayley KUENZLE, Ryan LONERGAN, Noah LOLESIO, Matt LUCAS, Andy MUIRHEAD, Chance PENI, Tom WRIGHT

Wallaby Way

Herbert Moran (7)
Wagner is a tight-head prop and has come through the Vikings. He played for Brumbies U20 and was in the NRC squad last year. Good prospect and ahead of Tom Ross IMO.

Osborne is in the Brumbies Academy and plays 6. I understand he's a local from Canberra Grammar.

Brown is from Waikato NPC side and is an openside. Don't know much but interesting that he is ahead of Angus Allen and Lolotonga. Brumbies are a bit light-on for back-up backrowers given Hyne's injury and BJ Edwards defection to the Waratahs

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not expecting a lot from either the Brumbies or the Rebels in this game. Very few of the Brumbies first team getting a run, and likely to be the same with the Rebels. Will be more about seeing how the reserves and those close to selection in the top side are shaping up. Not too much about combinations either given few will make the starting side when the season proper gets underway.

And then there's the heat.

Still, it will be interesting to see how Slipper, Swain, Valetini, Simone, TK, and Pulu are shaping up. And there's been a bit of hype about Kuenzla, Loloesi and Wright, so great to get a first look at them too.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's a reasonably decent Brumbies team though, essentially their '2nd XV' with a few first likely first choice starters thrown in such as Valetini, Powell and TK.

I would also expect the likes of Slipper, Cusack, McCaffrey and Pulu to be featuring quite a bit in the starting team this year.........

I think we'll see a lot of rotation in the backrow throughout the season:

- Pocock will be rested for the RWC, unless he's forced to miss some game time from some more Kiwi foul play

- I'm not sure if we've settled on who to partner Pocock in the backrow yet. Valetini is a definite if fit....... it fit. Cusack finished the season strongly last year as the starting 6, but McCaffrey was surprisingly very impressive.

- Do we start Samu? I know he's a Wallaby, and a very good player, but hes' another short backrower who I think is best utilised as a super sub, except for when Pocock isn't there.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Anyone know if any of the Brumbies' backs made it to Cheika's training camp earlier this month. I'm thinking TK and Banks ought to have been there, but have seen no mention.

I'm also wondering who of the Rebels backline made it into the camp.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Current temperature in Canberra 41C. Expected to cool to 30C by 8pm with 50% chance of rain during the match. Maybe a good match to watch from inside the club.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Anyone know if that live stream is hosted anywhere for review? I've seen the Chance Peni try - looked very promising how the ball was spun wide through the hands (BUT WITH EACH PLAYER FIXING/DRAWING A DEFENDER BEFORE SHIFTING) to unleash Valetini for a superb little run and offload to put Peni in the clear.

Very reminiscent of the last few weeks last season and auspicious for the continuation of that style of play.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Wow, that was an ordeal. 90 minutes of rugby in 40 - 41 degrees heat, and only on Asahi Black to quench the thirst. It was really tough as a spectator, so I can't imagine how hard that was for the players.

The result was not as important as the manner in which the teams played the game. For the record, the Brumbies won the game, about 52 - 40, but the impressive aspect was that all their 7 or 8 tries came from long range attacking play through the backs. TK went over the chalk for the first three tries and I think Lenny Ikitau put two on the board while others were scored by Muirhead, Peni (or Pulu?), and a late replacement whose name/number I didn't catch. By contrast, the Rebels tries all seemed to come from forward play a few metres from the tryline.

In general play, the Brumbies had the better of the lineout, and scrums, but were turned over quite a bit at the breakdown. If only we had a No 7! The Brumbies attack had a lot to like about it, looking to build on the end of Super Rugby 2018.

Some of the better performers were TK, the front row, Darcy Swain had the better of Matt Philip imo, and pace on the outside was impressive. Special mention to Hawera who I think played the whole 90 minutes, or at least most of it.

Trial form doesn't necessarily mean a lot, but the willingness to run the ball from deep was very encouraging. Could be really good things ahead in 2019.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
BTG6Qe3CUAAXNPQ.jpg

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
I’ll confess I’m baffled with Simone

You can sit there and watch him carve them up at NRC level but then he’s invisble at Super level - and it’s not because of physical gifts, because he’s got them in spades

I’d normally prefer him with more space at 13 but maybe the Brumbs masterstroke is to give him a smaller canvas at 12. Let’s hope so.

Anyway, good luck to him.