• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Breakdown of selection by GPS School

NSW 1s

Joeys 7
Newington 4
Riverview 2
Scots 1

NSW2s

Riverview 3
Scots 2
Joeys 2

Wonder how many would have been selected but declined as already in Gen Blue pathway?

Chip kick

Allen Oxlade (6)
A gross over-simplification really but has only occurred for certain boys because:

1. Wednesday afternoon CHS zone rugby competitions have almost disappeared - nobody to coach and often below critical mass needed to run team/s
2. Club junior rugby has also contracted at the same time, leading in part to fewer boys with rugby playing experience going to their local state high school
3. The establishment of sports high schools has drawn sporting talent who play both league and union and the teachers at these schools have a league orientation (one of the sports high schools forfeited a Waratah Shield semi final a couple of years ago because it clashed with a league game)
4. Lack of interest and resources among staff and leaders at state schools - they are just required to provide sport so that the sports which are (a) easy to coach and (b) are supported by governing bodies are played

EDIT: You'd find that most of those kids would stay at their local state school if their was a half-decent rugby program their (which used to exist not so very long ago)

Point 2 - i think the junior rugby has actually grown as a result of the SJRU becoming more organised. As a consequence the west has grown in numbers. This once league area has now a number of teams that compete in the state titles. A big polynesian influence but some talented kids. They play league as well which is great for their skill set. Kings have recruited a number boys in the 14s age group all from the same team that my son plays against.

Loose Carry

Peter Burge (5)
D25A5481-D56D-40DD-ADCE-36D1C344F184.jpeg

2D601127-3EB0-4F52-9902-59B852ABF59A.jpeg

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Hi guys. I think we are in agreement that some of these players who are clear standouts and who are not selected may well already be in the Aust Schoolboys /U18 squad alread and do not need to play in the tournament. I think that is the wrong approach but I am not a decision maker. But as Ace Ventura, SDW and Joker quite rightly point out, those player were walk up into a NSW side and having played either Aust schoolboys in 2018 or BaaBaas. So there is clearly something going on that is not transparent to us mere mortals.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Going by this map, players like Bokenham(J), Pollard (B)Koula (N) have probably been selected straight from school side into the Waratahs academy. Withe the reading of the terms, the NSW 1 & 2 squads gather at Darcyville for a camp on 1st to 3rd July. I am not sure what happens then.

Is the sqaud combined with those players that have a direct path to the academy. The end game for a NSW U18 player seems to be the Waratahs Gen Blue team which plays in a comp in September at Ballymore, from which the Aust Schools U18 side is selected.

Looking at the Qld academy team to play the Rebels today, it is stacked with GPS lads who are not in the Qld 1 or 2 squads to play at Riverview in 2 weeks time.

I suppose this will be the last year of the National schools tournament. No point having it if the best players are not in the mix.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
looks like the above-mentioned players (and others) have skipped off the blue path on the map, and are proceeding down the green dotted line.

was speaking to a mother of a Scots player whose son was told he didn't have tp play for combined GPS if he didn't want to, as he was already on the green path before the combined GPS teams were selected. But he chose to play anyway (more credit him).

it looks like some players were on the green path straight from early games for their respective schools, and others were on the green path AFTER the GPSvCAS etc rep games were played and they caught the eye of the selectors.

I think you're right - the National Schoolboys Championships seem now to be redundant, when the best players don't play.

It's a dog's breakfast, but I think it's possibly the best of a bad set of options for selection from such a diverse field.

Going by this map, players like Bokenham(J), Pollard (B)Koula (N) have probably been selected straight from school side into the Waratahs academy. Withe the reading of the terms, the NSW 1 & 2 squads gather at Darcyville for a camp on 1st to 3rd July. I am not sure what happens then.

Is the sqaud combined with those players that have a direct path to the academy. The end game for a NSW U18 player seems to be the Waratahs Gen Blue team which plays in a comp in September at Ballymore, from which the Aust Schools U18 side is selected.

Looking at the Qld academy team to play the Rebels today, it is stacked with GPS lads who are not in the Qld 1 or 2 squads to play at Riverview in 2 weeks time.

I suppose this will be the last year of the National schools tournament. No point having it if the best players are not in the mix.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It's probably been asked and answered before, but are the 1st XV reserves chosen before or after the 2nd XV is chosen?

In the past the 1st XV was chosen first and then the 2nd XV, then the reserves for the 1st XV, then the reserves for the 2nd XV and lastly shadow players (if any).

The thinking was that the starting players would get more game time.

Who knows if that is still the case in this new system.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
In the past the 1st XV was chosen first and then the 2nd XV, then the reserves for the 1st XV, then the reserves for the 2nd XV and lastly shadow players (if any).

The thinking was that the starting players would get more game time.

Who knows if that is still the case in this new system.

beg to differ QH - certainly in the past the policy was to select the whole 1st XV squad ahead of the 2nd XV. The logic was that the 1st XV reserves, to get priority in replacements for the run-on side, should naturally be higher in the pecking order than 2nd XV players. Whether that still applies I don't know.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
beg to differ QH - certainly in the past the policy was to select the whole 1st XV squad ahead of the 2nd XV. The logic was that the 1st XV reserves, to get priority in replacements for the run-on side, should naturally be higher in the pecking order than 2nd XV players. Whether that still applies I don't know.

I think that you're wrong, but we'll just agree to disagree.

EDIT: Lee Grant used to spell this out every year and he had the information directly from the selectors.

I found a reference here and there were numerous others over the years.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...s-trial-games-and-selections-2009.3984/page-2

Status
Not open for further replies.