• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
We’re in danger of a merry-go-round at 6. Hopefully whoever is tried next locks it down. I’m liking our lineout with 4 jumpers so Dempsey or Jones (not that I think he was great on Saturday) would be ideal. Samu would provide a bit more at the breakdown, though.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
No place for Adam Coleman at the moment ? Could come in as the Bench lock hopefully gets a crack at the All Blacks as back up Lock over Simmions, but Simmions is safer and hasn't done anything wrong.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
We’re in danger of a merry-go-round at 6. Hopefully whoever is tried next locks it down. I’m liking our lineout with 4 jumpers so Dempsey or Jones (not that I think he was great on Saturday) would be ideal. Samu would provide a bit more at the breakdown, though.

I think Samu is a 7. It would basically be the same as playing the 'pooper' style strategy to have Samu at 6/8 - which works for the Brumbies at super xv level but as we all know not so much at Test level.

Samu to come off the bench if Pocock is not fit.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
No place for Adam Coleman at the moment ? Could come in as the Bench lock hopefully gets a crack at the All Blacks as back up Lock over Simmions, but Simmions is safer and hasn't done anything wrong.

Rodda hasn't set the world on fire, but has done enough to keep his spot. I wouldn't mind seeing what Coleman can do against the darkness - if he's back to his best he's the regular starter at RWC, if not, Rodda holds his spot. Worth a shot.

Locking a 6 down a bit more tricky. Gotta work Dempsey back to form or try out Valentini both risky.

B

Bobby Sands

Petaia will walk into this team.

Can’t believe the Reds are being robbed of Samu/Jordy centre combo. Travesty. Can’t help but be pretty filthy with Samu.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think Samu is a 7. It would basically be the same as playing the 'pooper' style strategy to have Samu at 6/8 - which works for the Brumbies at super xv level but as we all know not so much at Test level.

Samu to come off the bench if Pocock is not fit.
That’s fair enough, I don’t think there’s too much between he and Dempsey around the park (both aren’t that abrasive but use footwork). I forgot about Valetini who plays as a traditional 6 the best, wish he had gotten some game time this week.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Petaia will walk into this team.

Can’t believe the Reds are being robbed of Samu/Jordy centre combo. Travesty. Can’t help but be pretty filthy with Samu.
I’d like to see him on the wing before we try him in the centres. That’s where we need his quality most badly and it’ll be easier for him to get into the swing of test footy (as good as he is he’s hardly played at all, don’t want to rock his confidence by throwing him in the deep end before he’s back into it).

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Worth looking at original Wallabies Squad selected and assessing how their RWC chances going.
WALLABIES SQUAD
Backs:

Marika Koroibete = lock for starting wing spot
Tevita Kuridrani = despite not offering much in attack so far probably still a lock for starting 13 position

What has Korobibete done to be a lock for a starting wing spot? Is it just the lack of other options? He chases kicks and rushes up in defence but then gets beaten and hasn't offered a great threat in attack. I

Tevitia Kuridrani started the Super season poorly but finished well, now he is looking like he is back at the start. Can't see him getting dropped by Cheika but on form he hasn't shown enough to stay - maybe they need to try JOC (James O'Connor) at 13 where I believe he has played a lot in England and see if that adds some spark. At the moment we still seem to be using the 'give the ball to Kerevi' play.

To'omua hasn't looked like much since he returned from England, didn't do much for the Rebels and certainly hasn't shown why he should be in gold. He seems to have declined in skills and I can see why Leicester were happy for him to go early.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Jordan Petaia needs to get back on the pitch and show some form, but a lisfrancs ligament is nothing to be sneezed at, but hey a few super games and his now the 13 we have been waiting for.

TK might not be doing much in attack (he made some yards when ever he touched the ball) he also is awesome in the defensive line. I wouldnt be moving him out of 13 for Petaia, maybe we should give some more time to JOC (James O'Connor) at 13 see if he add's anything there.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don't get the hype. He has barely played a couple of super xv games.
Genuine question - when you say you don’t get the hype, how much have you watched him play?

There is a reason he got picked to make his test debut in his first year out of school.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Petaia has played 12 Super Rugby matches.

I do note you're happy to push the Valetini Wallaby barrow. How many Super Rugby games has he played?

Petaia was very good in his Super Rugby appearances, the concern is how he will go coming back from injury. My guess is that they will do a lot of testing on him to see how he copes - the talent and game awareness won't go away but hopefully he can recover the speed and power. Given the other outside back options aren't that flash at the moment I think they should include him.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Petaia has played 12 Super Rugby matches.

I do note you're happy to push the Valetini Wallaby barrow. How many Super Rugby games has he played?
Might be wrong but i think plenty of our better talents over the years have started out with more Test than Super caps. Giteau, O'Connor, etc.

Coming back from major injury does change the equation somewhat though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Rodda hasn't set the world on fire, but has done enough to keep his spot. I wouldn't mind seeing what Coleman can do against the darkness - if he's back to his best he's the regular starter at RWC, if not, Rodda holds his spot. Worth a shot.

Locking a 6 down a bit more tricky. Gotta work Dempsey back to form or try out Valentini both risky.
Mate the lineout turn around from last year to this is enough alone for those two to continue. Shit we even stole a few.

Reactions: TSR
B

Bobby Sands

Might be wrong but i think plenty of our better talents over the years have started out with more Test than Super caps. Giteau, O'Connor, etc.

Coming back from major injury does change the equation somewhat though.

Slipper as well.

Reactions: TSR

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
What has Korobibete done to be a lock for a starting wing spot? Is it just the lack of other options? He chases kicks and rushes up in defence but then gets beaten and hasn't offered a great threat in attack. I

Tevitia Kuridrani started the Super season poorly but finished well, now he is looking like he is back at the start. Can't see him getting dropped by Cheika but on form he hasn't shown enough to stay - maybe they need to try JOC (James O'Connor) at 13 where I believe he has played a lot in England and see if that adds some spark. At the moment we still seem to be using the 'give the ball to Kerevi' play.

To'omua hasn't looked like much since he returned from England, didn't do much for the Rebels and certainly hasn't shown why he should be in gold. He seems to have declined in skills and I can see why Leicester were happy for him to go early.

Agreed. He also missed his 1st 3 tackles on the weekend.

On Petaia, even watching that video he strikes me much more of a 13 than wing. I'm sure he would perform well on the wing(better than hodge, I think banks is the pick) however he has silky hands and think he is better suited to 13. Tevita hasn't done anything to deserve to be dropped. The game plan, and having kerevi inside, just hasn't allowed him to make his mark on a game in attack yet. His dummy runs have created a fair bit of space though. His defense has been great, marshalling the players well in the outside channels.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think 13 is Petaia’s best spot - but not for the Wallabies at this time.

Personally I am not proposing TK be moved at all - for Petaia or JOC (James O'Connor). But there is certainly an opportunity for a
wing spot and to at least be considered for the squad. He played his entire first super rugby season there and was excellent.

You’d have to consider it highly unlikely though at this stage, given his lack of experience and his disrupted season. But Cheika has shown he has been willing to bring a young guy in if he backs them.

How did he go in his club game on the weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.