• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I personally think pushing Petaia to play international rugby after a lisfranc injury would be disasterous for both the Wallabies and Petaia himself.

There are far greater issues the Wallabies camp should be focusing on like their consistency, defence and attack patterns rather than pinning all hopes that a broken 19 year old will solve any of the higher level problems.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Genuine question - when you say you don’t get the hype, how much have you watched him play?

There is a reason he got picked to make his test debut in his first year out of school.

Only a couple of games - which is why I don't get the hype.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I personally think pushing Petaia to play international rugby after a lisfranc injury would be disasterous for both the Wallabies and Petaia himself.

There are far greater issues the Wallabies camp should be focusing on like their consistency, defence and attack patterns rather than pinning all hopes that a broken 19 year old will solve any of the higher level problems.

Yes & no. In no way am I suggesting Petaia is a cure for all ills. There are plenty of other issues which you rightly highlight. But throwing up his name as a selection chance and pinning all hopes to him are very different things. There is a chance for someone to grab the 14 or 23 jersey as the guys currently being given a crack aren’t grabbing it with both hands. Filling that spot is just one a many pieces of the puzzle.

I am assuming he isn’t broken or he wouldn’t have played on the weekend. Whether or not he is ready for international rugby is another thing. If he’s not 100% ready, I agree he shouldn’t be picked.

I note that it is reported in today’s Courier that RA was involved in getting Petaia transferred from Wests to Sunnybank specifically with the purpose of him getting game time on the weekend (Wests has a bye). That says to me he is still very much in the frame for selection.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Only a couple of games - which is why I don't get the hype.

I hate hype for young players, but this kid is definitely something different, I feel the ankle injury will mean the 2019 is a season too soon for him though. He really needed another 10 or so Super Rugby games and a full Wallabies training camp to be read for a RWC year.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I hate hype for young players, but this kid is definitely something different, I feel the ankle injury will mean the 2019 is a season too soon for him though. He really needed another 10 or so Super Rugby games and a full Wallabies training camp to be read for a RWC year.

Don't the RWC teams have one spot for a non-playing "work experience" rookie?
Ideal for Petaia.

B

Bobby Sands

Petaia will make the xv & take Hodges position.

Just can’t see why he wouldn’t pick him when we have no wings.

B

Bobby Sands

Ok, so what do we now know that we didn't know a fortnight ago?

Arnold is now not only the best super rugby forward, but first forward picked at test level. Incredible that he hasn't been given respect till this season. His brother is also killing it in Europe. Incredible that they are only started at 19 from league backgrounds.

Isa is the 8-man of our dreams.

Tupou is finally maturing to play as either a starter or finisher.

Lukhan is not a 6, needs to stop immediately. Luke Jones should be given first chance or if fit Pete Samu. (Pete Samu must been in the 23 imo).

Rodda is only going ok. The second lock spot is contentious.

Lilo offered many things, and now has his nose in front of Bernard. This in turn could be a good thing for Bernard, but personally it is a good thing for my mental healthy. Well done Christian.

Samu is now one of the best centres in the world, incredible transformation.

JOC (James O'Connor) could be the best person to play 13, this is a very interesting development in his career and the look of our backline. I am intrigued.

Marika is looking like our most likely strike weapon.

Banks needs to be 15 or at least on a wing.

Petaia could be play 13 or 14 in this team at 19 with no rugby under his belt. That is telling.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
What has Korobibete done to be a lock for a starting wing spot? Is it just the lack of other options? He chases kicks and rushes up in defence but then gets beaten and hasn't offered a great threat in attack. I

Tevitia Kuridrani started the Super season poorly but finished well, now he is looking like he is back at the start. Can't see him getting dropped by Cheika but on form he hasn't shown enough to stay - maybe they need to try JOC (James O'Connor) at 13 where I believe he has played a lot in England and see if that adds some spark. At the moment we still seem to be using the 'give the ball to Kerevi' play.

To'omua hasn't looked like much since he returned from England, didn't do much for the Rebels and certainly hasn't shown why he should be in gold. He seems to have declined in skills and I can see why Leicester were happy for him to go early.

Can you articulate what it is that you would expect TK to do to "show enough" to stay in the XV? When you have an inside centre that is getting across the advantage line all night, the best thing you can do in attack is support him. They mightn't operating together that well at the moment, but let's not overstate Kerevi's ballplaying ability: he bombed a try opportunity in the first test because he didn't know what to do in space with a player either side. Also, it's not like Kerevi is known for moving the ball at speed to give the guys outside of him some space. By the time TK has a shot, he's amongst more traffic than the M2 after a truck accident.

The guy has to stay in his lane so the defence doesn't completely fall to shit if there's a turnover, so he is naturally limited in what he can do. Kerevi has had 46 touches in the last fortnights, whilst TK has had 12. He would have to be basically superhuman to standout in those circumstances.

Also, uh, defence?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ok, so what do we now know that we didn't know a fortnight ago?

Arnold is now not only the best super rugby forward, but first forward picked at test level. Incredible that he hasn't been given respect till this season. His brother is also killing it in Europe. Incredible that they are only started at 19 from league backgrounds.

Isa is the 8-man of our dreams.

Tupou is finally maturing to play as either a starter or finisher.

Lukhan is not a 6, needs to stop immediately. Luke Jones should be given first chance or if fit Pete Samu. (Pete Samu must been in the 23 imo).

Rodda is only going ok. The second lock spot is contentious.

Lilo offered many things, and now has his nose in front of Bernard. This in turn could be a good thing for Bernard, but personally it is a good thing for my mental healthy. Well done Christian.

Samu is now one of the best centres in the world, incredible transformation.

JOC (James O'Connor) could be the best person to play 13, this is a very interesting development in his career and the look of our backline. I am intrigued.

Marika is looking like our most likely strike weapon.

Banks needs to be 15 or at least on a wing.

Petaia could be play 13 or 14 in this team at 19 with no rugby under his belt. That is telling.

BS, I am generally in agreeance with your points but the one about Jones makes you loose all credibility in my books. Jones is a complete passenger. He hails from the Rob Simmons school of hardness. Was terrible when he came on the other night. Agree LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) hasnt made the spot his but surely we try Dempsey/Valentini or even Wright.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Can you articulate what it is that you would expect TK to do to "show enough" to stay in the XV? When you have an inside centre that is getting across the advantage line all night, the best thing you can do in attack is support him. They mightn't operating together that well at the moment, but let's not overstate Kerevi's ballplaying ability: he bombed a try opportunity in the first test because he didn't know what to do in space with a player either side. Also, it's not like Kerevi is known for moving the ball at speed to give the guys outside of him some space. By the time TK has a shot, he's amongst more traffic than the M2 after a truck accident.

The guy has to stay in his lane so the defence doesn't completely fall to shit if there's a turnover, so he is naturally limited in what he can do. Kerevi has had 46 touches in the last fortnights, whilst TK has had 12. He would have to be basically superhuman to standout in those circumstances.

Also, uh, defence?

TK seems to be doing a fair bit of cleaning out after Kerevi runs. We need those two as a 1-2 punch in taking up the ball. Some other players need to be doing the ruck work.

B

Bobby Sands

BS, I am generally in agreeance with your points but the one about Jones makes you loose all credibility in my books. Jones is a complete passenger. He hails from the Rob Simmons school of hardness. Was terrible when he came on the other night. Agree LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) hasnt made the spot his but surely we try Dempsey/Valentini or even Wright.

Thanks for this, these are some interesting notes.

Why do you think Jones is soft? I am mainly commenting on his super form, and I thought he was much more consistent than Dempsey, and obviously has a much larger volume of work than Valentini. He is also better than both in the lineout, and from what I can see in maul defence. Happy to hear your thoughts on this - but I am steadfast in my opinion that Lukhan must go and now. Now that Bernard is cooked (thankyou Chek) Lukhan is my next major issue.

Liam Wright at 6 is something that I have proposed quite a bit with the emergence of McReight/Kibble coming through. I think he could make a tremendous 6 in the Dusatoir mould, and note that he played 6 for Easts on the weekend. I certainly think he COULD be a shot, but think its too early. To be clear though, I would much prefer him there rather than Lukhan.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Petaia is ready for test rugby without question. What we need to do is bring him back carefully from this injury so that he is 100% fit and challenging for a starting spot during the RWC pool stage. I’d say a bench spot in one bled and against Samoa should do it.

Last week we had Jones and JOC (James O'Connor) on the pine but they were not given any reasonable opportunity. In these games the fringe players in the 23 should be given at least 20 minutes. Both of the blokes they replaced were not exactly setting the world on fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.