• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Tupou is finally maturing to play as either a starter or finisher.

How does getting sent off one week, then not getting sent off the second week make him maturing, after his super season, he is firmly a finisher, his not good enough in the scrum to start, that will be AAA for years to come.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah pretty happy that we have two very good tight head props, and they’re only 23 and 25 years old with plenty of opportunity for growth still. These two will battle it out for starting spots for years to come.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
He is pretty good in the scrum and improving. AAA will be a step up again.
It looks as though our set piece is in very good shape.
I agree just find it strange that he was talking about Tupou maturing, when literally the whole momentum of the game switched when he did something dumb, and got carded.

His gonna be a great player for years to come, but his still learning.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So time for the remaining players in the mix to be given time.

To'omua experiment over so let’s see how JOC (James O'Connor) goes and also AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Later despite public opinion otherwise deserves a shot to see what he can offer as proven experience at test level so let’s give him a game to find out.

Also need to give Coleman a run to see where he is in the mix.

Samu should also be given a go as reserve forward to remind us what we have been missing.

I also wonder if hunt should also be given a game prior to final selections.

Also need to let Luke Jones have more game time to see if he is worth taking as not been given enough game time and would prefer him starting at 6 over LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to see what he can offer.

Anyone else we need to give some more game time that we need to look more closely at prior to the selection of RWC squad?

I don't know that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will get a run. Cheika will know that he can depend on him if needed but doesn't really need to test him out. I still think Petaia could end up nabbing his spot in the RWC squad. If Petaia isn't ready then maybe AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) goes as the backup starter for the 13 jersey.

I agree that Samu should come into the 23 as soon as possible (although if Pocock is fit for the next test Samu might not fit in there as well).

I don't think Hunt is in the reckoning. Coleman might not be either. I don't think Cheika is going to go back to him running the lineout so I can't see him replacing Simmons as the backup for that role. Arnold and Rodda are clear starters and I think LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is the fourth lock (and hopefully won't keep starting at 6).

I think selections will be harsh on some players and potentially someone like Luke Jones might have blown his chance. With so few opportunities before the RWC I question how much time you can spend working out who the best options are to fill the last few places in the squad.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I agree just find it strange that he was talking about Tupou maturing, when literally the whole momentum of the game switched when he did something dumb, and got carded.

His gonna be a great player for years to come, but his still learning.

His more mature mentor has a history of stupid as he gets tired as well. I expect AAA to come in and start.

I have no idea who will be his back up, both come with both positives and negatives

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't know that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will get a run. Cheika will know that he can depend on him if needed but doesn't really need to test him out. I still think Petaia could end up nabbing his spot in the RWC squad. If Petaia isn't ready then maybe AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) goes as the backup starter for the 13 jersey.

I agree that Samu should come into the 23 as soon as possible (although if Pocock is fit for the next test Samu might not fit in there as well).

I don't think Hunt is in the reckoning. Coleman might not be either. I don't think Cheika is going to go back to him running the lineout so I can't see him replacing Simmons as the backup for that role. Arnold and Rodda are clear starters and I think LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is the fourth lock (and hopefully won't keep starting at 6).

I think selections will be harsh on some players and potentially someone like Luke Jones might have blown his chance. With so few opportunities before the RWC I question how much time you can spend working out who the best options are to fill the last few places in the squad.

Yes true Cheika knows what can get from AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - fair point I guess. Coleman back at the peak of his form would be on the plane so do wonder after injury lay off Cheika as one last look to see if injury layoff done anything for him. But yes as you articulate he would be competing with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and would need to play well given LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)'s versatility to play 6 (even if does not play it that well).

Luke jones missing out would be funny one as first half of Super Rugby season seemed a shoe in but like a lot of other high profile rebel players had ordinary back half and probably running out of opportunities to impress and state his case.

On hunt I would not have thought but after him being voted best back for Tahs in 2019 did wonder if I had underestimated him. But yeh at this stage all evidence suggests not even on the radar. Ps I also think Hunt is quality.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

Bond v Sunnybank match stream is here if anyone wants to see how he wwnt
For anyone interested, Petaia beats about 4 players just after the 1hr 25 minute mark (1hr 25 on the dot) that leads to a try. He receives the ball after the halfback takes a quick tap and passes to Lucas (he’s in jersey 21)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
For anyone interested, Petaia beats about 4 players just after the 1hr 25 minute mark (1hr 25 on the dot) that leads to a try. He receives the ball after the halfback takes a quick tap and passes to Lucas (he’s in jersey 21)

Beats two players. Gains - is it 10m or 15m? Hard to follow the lines. And yes it is enough to create an opportunity that is realised.

He is on his way back from injury. A great player in the making. But I didn't see a whole lot here from QPR to suggest he is ready to front the All Blacks.

Let's give the bloke a chance.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Beats two players. Gains - is it 10m or 15m? Hard to follow the lines. And yes it is enough to create an opportunity that is realised.

He is on his way back from injury. A great player in the making. But I didn't see a whole lot here from QPR to suggest he is ready to front the All Blacks.

Let's give the bloke a chance.
Well he beat the same bloke twice and sort of shrugged off another tackle which is how I got to ‘about 4.’ Is he ready to front the ABs? I’m not sure, I was more pleased by his footwork in that little clip as I was a bit concerned the lisfranc injury may have damaged his ability to move sideways quickly (or at the very least his confidence to do so).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BS, I am generally in agreeance with your points but the one about Jones makes you loose all credibility in my books. Jones is a complete passenger. He hails from the Rob Simmons school of hardness. Was terrible when he came on the other night. Agree LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) hasnt made the spot his but surely we try Dempsey/Valentini or even Wright.

Wright is first and foremost a No 7, and a very good one. The sole reason he would play at 6 if it ever happens is to compensate for Michael Hooper's lack of presence at the breakdown (although he was better against the Pumas). We've surely had enough of playing two 7s together?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Wright is first and foremost a No 7, and a very good one. The sole reason he would play at 6 if it ever happens is to compensate for Michael Hooper's lack of presence at the breakdown (although he was better against the Pumas). We've surely had enough of playing two 7s together?
I wouldn’t advocate trying to convert Wright to a 6 or playing him there for the Wallabies this year (bar a lot of injuries) but he is 192cm, probably tall enough to cut it as a 6. It’s not inconceivable that he spends some time at 6 next year at the Reds to accomodate McReight at 7. Could bring something different to the 6 spot for the Wallabies beyond 2019 or be able to cover it in case of injury.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I wouldn’t advocate trying to convert Wright to a 6 or playing him there for the Wallabies this year (bar a lot of injuries) but he is 192cm, probably tall enough to cut it as a 6. It’s not inconceivable that he spends some time at 6 next year at the Reds to accomodate McReight at 7. Could bring something different to the 6 spot for the Wallabies beyond 2019 or be able to cover it in case of injury.

The conundrum for the Reds is what to do about Wright and McReight. Liam definitely looks to be a Wallaby in waiting, but McReight is showing all the signs of being Pocock incarnate. Won't be long before he is the premier No 7 in the country.

Wright might go well at 6. As you say he is probably tall enough and he does look to be a good lineout jumper. But then you have Wilson who I think will walk into the 6 spot in very little time. Lots to look forward to.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

You are kind of right there, but you place way too much emphasis on the number on the player's back. The modern game is all about roles and balance, particularly in the back row. That Hooper's main strength isn't at the breakdown doesn't disqualify him from wearing number 7. As mentioned elsewhere his main strengths are his defence and as a ball runner (despite not being big), and of course his unstoppable energy. The challenge for the selectors is to balance the back row by finding a player who has a strong breakdown presence and preferably a bit of size, it doesn't matter if that player also wears a number 7 jersey for another province. That player should however be assigned to play openside in defense, regardless of what number is on his back.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So we're two tests into the season and now only two tests away from picking our RWC squad. Where do things sit after those two games?

Props: Slipper, Sio, Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Kepu
Hookers: Fainga'a, Latu
Locks: Arnold, Rodda, Simmons
Backrow: Hooper, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Naisarani
Halfback: Genia, White
Fly half: Foley, Leali'ifano
Centres: Kerevi, Kuridrani
Back three: Beale, Hodge, Banks, Koroibete

That's 13 forwards I would have fairly close to locked in. Latu is the only questionable one there but I think his time off the bench was pretty strong versus Uelese getting concussed after a minute. I have Uelese and TPN fighting it out for the last hooker spot.

So we need one more hooker, and either one more lock and three backrowers or four backrowers if LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is also your 4th lock.

I see Pocock as being a guaranteed selection if he's healthy. If Pocock doesn't make it then Samu would definitely be in. Demspey/Jones/Samu/Coleman/Valetini would seemingly be competing for 2 or 3 spots.

That's 10 backs. We will most likely take 13 and at most 14 so that would be one more halfback (probably Powell), one of Petaia/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/DHP and one of To'omua/JOC (James O'Connor). If we opted for 14 backs then we could take an extra of these players.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
See post 3642

Status
Not open for further replies.