• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

B

Bobby Sands

Who are we playing? I hope it's NZ!

It is & we are dominating.

Our hooker just ran the length of the field on HT, only for the ref to call knock on with no video. Shambolic decision, but we are all over them in the first half. Incredible counter attack from us on limited possession.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It is & we are dominating.

Our hooker just ran the length of the field on HT, only for the ref to call knock on with no video. Shambolic decision, but we are all over them in the first half. Incredible counter attack from us on limited possession.

Saw the final score. Result!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
My only hope is that we can keep these young guns in our game, and on our shores. Is that too much to hope for?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
NRL clubs have approached one or two of the players at least, fullback Dion Samuela is one who is on the radar of NRL clubs

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Disappointing, i thought the 11 showed some real promise.

Edit: Just googled it, looks as thought Tolu Koula has signed with the Manly in the NRL, and Joseph Sua'ali'i has signed with the Rabbitohs, and Samuela has a few NRL clubs chasing him.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Some excellent performances by the Aussie boys.

Thought Hooper was outstanding and MOTM. Shame about the No 15 and both wingers going off toLeague. They are all very talented. The whole backline was very slippery in attack and until the last 10 minutes very strong in defense. Happy from a Brumbies POV with the way Pasitoa controlled the game.

The forwards were good everywhere except the lineout where they must have lost two for every one they won on their own throw. Had they had equal possession, they would have put plenty more on the scoreboard and probably have kept NZ to zero.

B

Bobby Sands

Another absurd performance from Harry Wilson today. He must be close to player of the tournament.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Should certainly earn rookie of the tournament if thats an award/eligible, he will be running a close race with Johnny Dyer for player of the tournament IMO

B

Bobby Sands

I've never seen a backrower like him. He makes the mind boggle tbh.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It has been an interesting NRC to see where all the players might fit in 2020, some have put their hand up well and truly, some have done themselves no favours.

1. Hoopert
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
7. Wright
8. Wilson
9. McDermott
10. Lucas
11. Speight
12. Stewart
13. Petaia
14. Daugunu
15. Hegarty

16. BPA
17. JP Smith
18. Fotuaika
19. Hockings
20. McReight
21. Sorovi
22. CFS
23. JOC (James O'Connor)

Forwards
I think most of the forward pack selects itself, it will just depend in what combinations they are used. I think the second-row and back-row will rotate quite regularly with guys like Hockings/Blythe/McReight getting a fair bit of time in the starting pack.

Backs,
Still a lot of question marks here, biggest one is that i dont see JOC (James O'Connor) starting...
I've been really impressed with Stewart at 12, he does his basic job well, tackles hard and runs nice lines. I think guys like this are critical to any backline and think he could really balance out the attacking prowess of Lucas at 10, and Petaia at 13.

Daugunu is the most dangerous broken-play player in Australian Rugby and has to start, he still has defensive issues though. Speight is a seasoned veteran who runs nice lines and defends well, like Stewart i think he will serve a role to balance out the the backline. Hegarty at 15 is a bit meh, but they don't really have anyone else to fill that role.

Bench
Pretty easy selections here, biggest concern is THP depth now that Ruan Smith has gone down to Melbourne.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Did I miss some amazing signing news with Arnold to the Reds or do you mean Rodda?
Also, I think the starting wallabies 13, J'OC probably won't be on the bench.

Yes meant Rodda...
Don't really care what he is doing at the Wallabies, theres different strengths and weaknesses at Reds level which needs to be considered. I think JOC (James O'Connor) will get plenty of time starting in 2020 probably at 12, but right now i prefer the combination Stewart could offer to the backline given the strengths of his game. If Reds are to start Lucas, then they need a solid defensive player outside of him.

Similar to when A.Fainga'a played outside of Q.Cooper.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
It has been an interesting NRC to see where all the players might fit in 2020, some have put their hand up well and truly, some have done themselves no favours.

1. Hoopert
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Rodda
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
7. Wright
8. Wilson
9. McDermott
10. Lucas
11. Speight
12. Stewart
13. Petaia
14. Daugunu
15. Hegarty

16. BPA
17. JP Smith
18. Fotuaika
19. Hockings
20. McReight
21. Sorovi
22. CFS
23. JOC (James O'Connor)

Forwards
I think most of the forward pack selects itself, it will just depend in what combinations they are used. I think the second-row and back-row will rotate quite regularly with guys like Hockings/Blythe/McReight getting a fair bit of time in the starting pack.

Backs,
Still a lot of question marks here, biggest one is that i dont see JOC (James O'Connor) starting.
I've been really impressed with Stewart at 12, he does his basic job well, tackles hard and runs nice lines. I think guys like this are critical to any backline and think he could really balance out the attacking prowess of Lucas at 10, and Petaia at 13.

Daugunu is the most dangerous broken-play player in Australian Rugby and has to start, he still has defensive issues though. Speight is a seasoned veteran who runs nice lines and defends well, like Stewart i think he will serve a role to balance out the the backline. Hegarty at 15 is a bit meh, but they don't really have anyone else to fill that role.

Bench
Pretty easy selections here, biggest concern is THP depth now that Ruan Smith has gone down to Melbourne.
IMO Moses will not be in the game day squad if SM is fit to go. He’s a scratch my head selection as apart from speed he doesn’t offer much else. The reds need a big signing or someone with experience to compliment there youthful squad. Hopefully im wrong.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I reckon we'll probably see:

10. Hegarty
11. Speight
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Petaia
14. Daugunu
15. Stewart

with Lucas and Campbell on the bench. This will make me most sad. :(

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
O'Connor IS a solid defensive player.

It mightn’t be bad, but i don’t think his defence is as good as Stewart’s, who has taken it to next level since his transition to inside centre.

Stewart starting might be a bit wishful, but I think the idea has merit.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Whichever way they form the backline, it's a nice feeling to have 2-3 guys who aren't starting that match the starting quality. Been a while