• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Have to admit, over the last 3 - 4 Wallabies games, I don't think losing Samu is going to be the end of days that we've made it out to be. Sure he attracts two defenders, but between the lack of offloading and horrendous ball security, Samu has been completely nullified by smart opposition.

If anything, having JOC (James O'Connor) at 13 will unlock more opportunities for us than Samu did.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Have to admit, over the last 3 - 4 Wallabies games, I don't think losing Samu is going to be the end of days that we've made it out to be. Sure he attracts two defenders, but between the lack of offloading and horrendous ball security, Samu has been completely nullified by smart opposition.

If anything, having JOC (James O'Connor) at 13 will unlock more opportunities for us than Samu did.
Would actually really like to see JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 and Petaia at 13 .

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

I take your point, and Samu's biggest critics have pointed out that he's yet to be totally dominant at International level. But he's an entirely different beast in Super rugby. A backline featuring Samu, JOC (James O'Connor) and Petaia would have been giving opposition teams nightmares.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
When did the JOC (James O'Connor) experiment at 12 fail?

Whenever he's played there. Did so a bit last time around. Failure.

Hasn't exactly set the world on fire this time around either. At best you could say solid. Plenty of blokes are "solid".

And @Bobby Sands, Stewart played against many test players this season in the soup. Performed great. He's good enough.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Hasn't exactly set the world on fire this time around either. At best you could say solid. Plenty of blokes are "solid".

And @Bobby Sands, Stewart played against many test players this season in the soup. Performed great. He's good enough.

I don't remember JOC (James O'Connor) having any great amount of time playing at inside centre so I don't agree with your comment that the "JOC (James O'Connor) experiment at 12 failed", even if he did play there 4 or 5 years ago, I think its quite evident that his game has evolved since then anyway. Im saying that as a long time JOC (James O'Connor) critic, its hard not to be impressed with the way he has evolved his game.

I think Reds are in an extremely promising position to have the likes of JOC (James O'Connor) and Stewart fighting over the one position.

B

Bobby Sands

I rate Hamish, just stating the obvious that JOC (James O'Connor) is playing test rugby. Hamish is yet to play soup at 12, although I said in March I think that’s where he would end up.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You don't want Super Rugby tournaments with just 15 players, whether he is starting or not, Stewart will play a big role next year IMO. It will allow the Reds to run a 6-2 bench if required as well having someone with his versatility on the bench.

B

Bobby Sands

I don't remember JOC (James O'Connor) having any great amount of time playing at inside centre so I don't agree with your comment that the "JOC (James O'Connor) experiment at 12 failed", even if he did play there 4 or 5 years ago, I think its quite evident that his game has evolved since then anyway. Im saying that as a long time JOC (James O'Connor) critic, its hard not to be impressed with the way he has evolved his game.

I think Reds are in an extremely promising position to have the likes of JOC (James O'Connor) and Stewart fighting over the one position.

He has mainly played 12 in both world cup games despite wearing 13. The centres are moving around alot. In the second half Kerevi was basically playing 13 the whole time, sitting on JOC (James O'Connor)'s outside shoulder.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
JOC (James O'Connor) will be 12 with Petaia @ 13. The end. FD on one wing, speight on the other with Hegarty/Lucas @ 10/15.

9. Mcdermott 10. Hegarty/Lucas 11. FD 12. JOC (James O'Connor) 13. Petaia 14. Speight 15. Hegarty/Lucas

21. Malolua 22. Stewart 23. CFS

Sonic Dill Williams

Frank Row (1)
Bring back Liam gill while he was in australia he was a pure workhorse for the reds he lead stats since 2012 in just about all areas of flanker bring the man back and find a strong 9 and 10 maybe Nick Chapman and someone else

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If there are a better pair of up and comers currently filling the 9 & 10 jerseys then McDermott & Lucas I am completely missing them.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
My reservations are over Lucas’s game control, he is a brilliant young player who can run and step, but I just want to see a bit more composure and traditional game control from him. As a halves combo, Lucas and McDermott are both fantastic ball runners, but that’s only part of their game, their main role is distribution of the ball to the likes of Petaia and Daugunu outside of them.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That’s fair. I’m still not sure he wouldn’t be better suited to 15 in the long run - although I’ll admit I am
partly influenced there by reports of Carter Gordon’s progress.

But Lucas is playing 10 and, for mine, he looks sharp there, at NRC level at least. Certainly a work in progress rather than a finished article, but I think he (and McDermott) are going well enough that ‘finding a strong 9 & 10’ aren’t huge areas of concern IMO. Importantly I think Lucas looks ready to step up. He doesn’t seem at all overawed or rushed and appears quite composed.

B

Bobby Sands

Lucas & Gordon are great young prospects. Gordon looks like Bernie.

I like that we have Hegarty as an older, but still young hand.

I think that Saifaloi probably deserves a wider training squad contract. Seasoned footy players are very handy.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting move. Based on the info in the first page he has been released from the final year of his contract.

Pity to lose him, but I wish him well.