• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Sunwolves, Rnd 4 2020, Suncorp Stadium Feb 22 19:15

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
The best back five for the Reds to win a game currently in my small mind would be Rodda & LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) as locks with a back row of ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wright and Wilson , with Fraser off the bench.

Long term probably Wright to 6 with Fraser at 7 , just don’t quite get LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6 and Blythe a starting lock .

Probably just my small mind .
With you on all accounts.

B

Bobby Sands

Just got mail . ASY (Angus Scott-Young) dropped. WTF. With the ultimate support of McReight who is a promising prospect there is no bloody way he is ahead of ASY (Angus Scott-Young). Back row ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wright and Wilson and move LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to lock with Rodda.

I would take Fraser over ASY (Angus Scott-Young), but I would prefer ASY (Angus Scott-Young) for Blythe or Hockings & yes it is like for like because Lukhan should be at lock.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
With regards to the game itself, I see three related issues for the Reds across their first 3 games -
- our clearances have been inconsistent and, too often, have left us defending too close to our line
- our lineout has misfired at some crucial times
- our goal line defence of the driving maul still causes us issues. Both giving up too many penalties and letting in too many tries

Despite my earlier expressed concerns about complacency I do expect the Reds to be too strong. But if the Sunwolves can hold us at our end and apply pressure then the game might become much more of a challenge than has been anticipated.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
With regards to the game itself, I see three related issues for the Reds across their first 3 games -

- our clearances have been inconsistent and, too often, have left us defending too close to our line

Agree, but I've started taking a contrary "attitude". I see us working the kicking and exit strategy. I don't see this anywhere near Super leading quality, but it is improving and actually getting quite workmanlike. We got worked over at altitude, and with a very good kicker at the Jags. I'm OK with a work in progress, but agree we do want to actually see progress.

- our lineout has misfired at some crucial times

Frustrating this one. It is often said that our set piece is solid, but the line out just has not been. No excuse either, they need to get it sorted.

- our goal line defence of the driving maul still causes us issues. Both giving up too many penalties and letting in too many tries

Not sure the Sunwolves maul will scare us but our defence sure needs to pick up. Wouldn't hurt if they started reffing illegal entry and binding in the attacking maul, but I guess I'm dreaming.

I am again going to put a shout out for Lillycrap - what he is doing with a young scrum is unbelievably good work.

Reactions: TSR

Woldog

Peter Burge (5)
Just got mail . ASY (Angus Scott-Young) dropped. WTF. With the ultimate support of McReight who is a promising prospect there is no bloody way he is ahead of ASY (Angus Scott-Young). Back row ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wright and Wilson and move LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to lock with Rodda.

Honestly I'm not sold on ASY (Angus Scott-Young) yet. He shows great aggression but I'm not really sure he's any better than McReight. We really need a quality 6 and so far we don't have any real prospects for one. It does make me miss Hendrick Tui and George Smith or even Daniel Braid as they could all cover 6.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has proven he's a quality Super Rugby player, he'd find a spot in a number of other squads if not starting coming off the bench. He's a nice player he hasn't continued improving as we'd have probably liked, but regardless, at minimum he's a good player to have in the squad.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)

Craig over Farrell is again justified given Thorn has no confidence to play Farrell at the moment......

Giving Farrell the third Hooker contract pre season now has me really scratching my head. They obviously looked over Efi but why go for a player that selectors have zero confidence in playing at Super Rugby level.

Woldog

Peter Burge (5)
Giving Farrell the third Hooker contract pre season now has me really scratching my head. They obviously looked over Efi but why go for a player that selectors have zero confidence in playing at Super Rugby level.

Politics. Its the same reason Dane Zander is there, a lot of people don't seem to realize the amount of behind the scenes oldboy politics that go on at the Reds. There were probably more than 5 props more deserving than Dane Zander.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Politics. Its the same reason Dane Zander is there, a lot of people don't seem to realize the amount of behind the scenes oldboy politics that go on at the Reds. There were probably more than 5 props more deserving than Dane Zander.

Hi Woldog. I sense your frustration. For me I would share it if it looked like the results were poor. But I don't think they are. How Zander has come on with his opportunity seems to me something we should be shining a light on.

It is frankly impressive.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)

Or talent identification by those coaches accountable for results. Thorn & Lillycrap have done pretty well identifying the forward crop thus far.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Not having a dig - but in what sense more deserving? As in they are better performed at Prem Rugby Level, they have a higher ceiling or that they work harder?

Genuinely interested as I don’t have back ground on any of these guys - but I will say that based on the initial feedback here I expected Zander to be clearly out of his depth and he hasn’t been (although still obviously still has a long way to go as well). I assume he has worked his back side off to improve so quickly.

Woldog

Peter Burge (5)
Not having a dig - but in what sense more deserving? As in they are better performed at Prem Rugby Level, they have a higher ceiling or that they work harder?

Genuinely interested as I don’t have back ground on any of these guys - but I will say that based on the initial feedback here I expected Zander to be clearly out of his depth and he hasn’t been (although still obviously still has a long way to go as well). I assume he has worked his back side off to improve so quickly.

Better scrummagers in the premier rugby. Guys who dominate him at scrum time at Premier grade should have gotten a look in. I haven't thought Zander performed well at all and I'm surprised we used him on the bench instead of Dave Feao.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
There is also an element of age at play surely. You need to blood some players early and show faith in them or by the time they are properly developed they will be signing elsewhere for far more money overseas than the Reds could offer. Feao is 30 this year, not saying that is old for props but he’s probably as good as he will be now and not the player they will build a front row around for the long term.

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)

Someone from North’s benefiting from Qld old boy politics. That has to be the funniest thing I have heard for years.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Game a little loose at the moment, Reds needs to make sure they close out those breaks and territory