• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Sunwolves, Rnd 4 2020, Suncorp Stadium Feb 22 19:15

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If I am reading the vibe correctly it seems the general feeling is that this game is a given for the Reds and it is a matter of by how much.

Gee that makes me nervous. We’ve been here too many times before.

Hopefully I’m jumping at shadows.

I do like the team we’ve named. Would have liked Lukhan in the row, but based on the first half of last week selecting him at 6 seems fair enough. Glad to see Hoopert & Malolua back.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I just re-watched the first half - a really solid performance (note as well that the ref performance was decent in that half). We need a blast of sense but we still should be feeling confident here.

I'd like an improvement in the Line Out and maul defence, but any other area for improvement seems kind of in hand.

It is good to be reminded that Berry as ref had a shocker last game and with concerns over home ground advantage does not bear well for this game. Discipline, as adjudicated by Berry, is a must.

Got to be our game.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Line out last week was a concern , particularly with the tall timber we had out there.

Seemed the majority of the throws in the first half went to Rodda and they just double teamed him for a couple of steals against the throw.

Hopefully a little less predictable this week.

Guessing Rodda calls the line out ?

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I just re-watched the first half - a really solid performance (note as well that the ref performance was decent in that half). We need a blast of sense but we still should be feeling confident here.

I'd like an improvement in the Line Out and maul defence, but any other area for improvement seems kind of in hand.

It is good to be reminded that Berry as ref had a shocker last game and with concerns over home ground advantage does not bear well for this game. Discipline, as adjudicated by Berry, is a must.

Got to be our game.

Is Berry being judged to have had a shocker for issuing a yellow card instead of red? One decision? One that gets made umpteen times a season? Harsh!

B

Bobby Sands

All of the changes are upgrades, but I feel for ASY (Angus Scott-Young).

Hoopert over Zane is a no-brainer, even though Zane has gone ok.

Craig over Farrell is again justified given Thorn has no confidence to play Farrell at the moment.

Sorovi has been diabolical & Maloula is much better.

Fraser McReight picks himself in any team he wants from here on out.

Very exciting that the cavalry have arrived and and we can look to solidify fortress Suncorp.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Is Berry being judged to have had a shocker for issuing a yellow card instead of red? One decision? One that gets made umpteen times a season? Harsh!

No.

But I'm happy if your assessment differs. Hope Berry goes well Saturday.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Berry is probably one of the best Aussie Refs, he made a deliberate decision to not give out a Red Card when he could have instead given a yellow. Yes, the Brumbies would likely have won had he given out a red, but Berry made the deliberate decision to give a yellow instead and keep the game competitive.

I think the Reds ought to win this one regardless of the ref. I expect (read hope) they win by 20+.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
If I am reading the vibe correctly it seems the general feeling is that this game is a given for the Reds and it is a matter of by how much.

The bookies are usually on the money and they have the Reds at $1.14, I wonder when was the last time a team loses three on the trot to start the year and gets that opening price!

It does give me vibes though of a game at Suncorp v the Western Force maybe 2012 when again the Reds were about $1.05. The Force ended up shclacking them at home to win by 13+, a couple cheeky Force fans floating around Caxton St splashing some cash that night as that result paid $41. Heres hoping history doesn't repeat itself.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The bookies are usually on the money and they have the Reds at $1.14, I wonder when was the last time a team loses three on the trot to start the year and gets that opening price!

It does give me vibes though of a game at Suncorp v the Western Force maybe 2012 when again the Reds were about $1.05. The Force ended up shclacking them at home to win by 13+, a couple cheeky Force fans floating around Caxton St splashing some cash that night as that result paid $41. Heres hoping history doesn't repeat itself.
Yes. I was at the game. (Well - I assume it was the same one, but I think it may have been a year or two later)

It sucked.

Edit : especially when you consider I normally only get to one game a year if I’m lucky.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
The only notable omission from the starting 23 is ASY (Angus Scott-Young). Is he injured?
Harry Hockings to replace Blythe in coming games when is gets match fit. Other than that, the team looks good.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Just got mail ... ASY (Angus Scott-Young) dropped. WTF. With the ultimate support of McReight who is a promising prospect there is no bloody way he is ahead of ASY (Angus Scott-Young). Back row ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wright and Wilson and move LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to lock with Rodda.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
But the only way to build up experience in a squad is to give players time on the field. Scott-Young may be better but is his playing every week the best thing for the squad?

Reactions: dru

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The best back five for the Reds to win a game currently in my small mind would be Rodda & LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) as locks with a back row of ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Wright and Wilson , with Fraser off the bench.

Long term probably Wright to 6 with Fraser at 7 , just don’t quite get LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) at 6 and Blythe a starting lock .

Probably just my small mind .

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
A workhorse who gives away limited penalties. We need some wins on the board. It’s a critical turning point for the Reds. Don’t get me wrong I rate McReight hugely, but a bench position in front of ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is a bit hard to swallow.