• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If the season continues, which is probably unlikely, and continues behind closed doors, then the Reds are in a better position than most. Surely the games get moved to Ballymore where there is effectively no cost to the Reds.

Other teams can obviously move theirs too, but no one owns/control their venue and will have to wear some cost.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If the season continues, which is probably unlikely, and continues behind closed doors, then the Reds are in a better position than most. Surely the games get moved to Ballymore where there is effectively no cost to the Reds.

Other teams can obviously move theirs too, but no one owns/control their venue and will have to wear some cost.

I suppose it might be possible to play games at much smaller venues. North Sydney Oval, for example. Then again, the Tahs probably have some sort of arrangement with Bankwest Stadium to play a certain number of games there.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Force Majeure would get them out of any commitment surely?

Would North Sydney Oval be cheaper? Broadcasters wouldn’t prefer that Oval.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Force Majeure would get them out of any commitment surely?

Would North Sydney Oval be cheaper? Broadcasters wouldn’t prefer that Oval.

I'm sure there'd be some possible re-negotiations. Not like Bankwest will have anything to replace the game with. Going to be a lot of empty stadiums to choose from.

...but yes, it is a possible advantage to the Reds financially speaking.

At this stage it's just going to be interesting to see what even goes ahead.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Seasons done and dusted, teams can’t travel to New Zealand. that fucks everything

Depends how long they keep the mandatory isolation in place for NZ and what Australia finally decide to do.

Reshuffling games could get around it to a degree, or they could change the format. Just have everyone go into their conferences and then have the top teams from each conference playoff at the end when COVID-19 has settled.

But yes, Super Rugby as it stands is not looking like it's a chance of continuing.

Shame, as I really wanted to see how the Red's went in the back half of the season.

B

Bobby Sands

Anyone know much about ex TGS lock Matt Willshire?

Around the same age as Blythe, and just returned from two years with the Chiefs?

Also, Connor Vest from Sydney now at UQ. Any good?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not rugby related per say but I feel for the guys who work at and run the Caxton St pubs. Essentially 80% of their annual revenue is now gone, they set their budgets around game nights. Obviously lots of businesses and industries about to be affected but that one hits close to home for me as I always would head up to the street for pre and post game drinks.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
seems to be a large division in people who think Hockings is proving the goods and those that prefer Blyth. Bit of chalk and cheese. Like a future Matfield/Botha

Blyth looking towards being the 'enforcer'', still a huge human being only 2cm shorter then Hockings, but certainly more abrasive and comfortable on his feet. Hockings the picture of the set piece/workrate lock, clearly a good lineout option, very industrious, keeps busy, but lacking any sort of physical dominance.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Before the season I preferred Hockings, but he has been slow to start this year whereas Blyth has been very impressive.

But Hockings still has plenty to offer and has some great skills for a big guy. His game on the weekend was a big step forward and I am mindful his preparation this year was hampered by injury.

He may never become an out and out bruiser, but he needs to compensate for that at the breakdown with accuracy. I thought he missed a couple of cleans on the weekend. Cleaning breakdowns is up there with pushing in scrums and taking lineouts as a core role of a lock IMO.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
A couple of weeks ago, Scomo was asking for any major project that was ready to go, to reach out to the Government so they can have approvals/cash injections to start.

I remember us talking about the Balleymore refurbishment a few months ago, but it would seem like an ideal time to get some backing from the higher ups and kick start the process.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Whatever one's view on B Thorn as Reds' HC, if the Super Rugby season permanently ceases now it's highly likely he'll be reappointed again in 2021.

His complete 3rd season will in such circumstances never be able to be fully evaluated and a 'much better in team development and many close losses etc., if not yet high on the Super Rugby ladder' type of assessment will likely ensure the QRU take a calculated risk to reappoint Thorn for a 4th season.

There'll be absolutely zero viable excuses and hiding places for the Reds coaching group in a 4th season though. Making at least the 2021 Super Rugby SFs would be a minimum and perfectly fair expectation.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Before the season I preferred Hockings, but he has been slow to start this year whereas Blyth has been very impressive.

But Hockings still has plenty to offer and has some great skills for a big guy. His game on the weekend was a big step forward and I am mindful his preparation this year was hampered by injury.

He may never become an out and out bruiser, but he needs to compensate for that at the breakdown with accuracy. I thought he missed a couple of cleans on the weekend. Cleaning breakdowns is up there with pushing in scrums and taking lineouts as a core role of a lock IMO.

He's brilliantly athletic at kickoffs, I think his technique at cleanouts gets him. I know he's a skyscraper but he really needs to get down lower and, for times when he can't, learn to croc roll effectively.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Stand behind Thorn! We are in great areas here lads.

Don't believe the heretics.

Whatever else, I actually think J McKay deserves much credit for evolving major improvements in the Reds' attack (and doesn't get enough credit for that, here or elsewhere).

There have been a huge 2020 improvements in all of: accurate offloading under pressure (by almost every player), proper, well-organised ensemble play by the backs running plays in unison and at pace, better link play backs-to-forwards and vice versa, far higher long passing accuracy and more considered long vs short passing, better attacking positioning off the ball, and so on.

And I give Thorn credit for hiring McKay. Half the job skill of a pro HC is hiring excellent ACs and involving and using them well.

B

Bobby Sands

How anyone from the outside, in good faith, can comment on the workings inside the four walls at Balleymore is beyond me.

It’s disingenuous at the very least.

Jim McKay is an excellent man, doing an excellent job - but the coaching unit is greater than the sum of the individual parts.

Splintering is the first sign of division.

Stand as one or stand divided.