• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think it's butter on both sides of both slices, so:

Mcreight​
(Bread)​
Hooper​
(Filling)​
Wright​
(Bread)​
Hardwick or Cusack​

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We need one backrower who can be that effective third lineout option, Hooper is the obvious 7, so either the 6 or 8 need to have that skill

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Although he put in a few good kicks last night, I thought overall that Maddocks was poor...

DHP and Banks for me.
Maddocks had a Barry but what was impressive was the good stuff he did do was after all his previous mistakes. Normally a player's confidence get pulverised permanently but Jack was able to put his bloopers aside and recover form.
Not easy to do.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We need one backrower who can be that effective third lineout option, Hooper is the obvious 7, so either the 6 or 8 need to have that skill

It's also about combining the right skillsets.

One of the 6 or 8 needs to have the speed and acceleration to work in the wide channels on the field and defend there against backs when necessary (mostly on turnover ball). We got skinned a few times because Salakaia-Loto didn't have that pace when he was playing 6.

One will naturally be the crash ball runner in midfield and from lineouts. We don't necessarily gain much if their biggest asset is both ball running because one of them won't get to do it nearly as much.

I'd lean towards two of Valetini, Naisarani and Wilson at the moment. Naisarani obviously being dependent on recovering from injury. I'd probably have Wilson as the chief ball runner out of those three.

Wright is definitely an intriguing option at 6 but I think he could be a little light for test match rugby there particularly when we've got some bigger bodies available to play 6 who are also in great form. Wright could be the best option for the bench backrower though.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Valetini jumped on the weekend. You've got potentially four jumpers with he and Naisarani (although perhaps Valetini and Naisarani should be considered half a jumper each).

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Wilson, Naisirani and Swinton are all decent jumpers, Valetini could do it at a pinch but you'd want the 8 as a proper lineout option.

Samu is very good in the air too.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Wilson, Naisirani and Swinton are all decent jumpers, Valetini could do it at a pinch but you'd want the 8 as a proper lineout option.

Samu is very good in the air too.

I'm enjoying watching Wright develop as a line out jumper. I'm also not sure that either Wilson or Naisarani are going to make a primary jumper at international level. But let's keep an eye on it.

On another note - LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is not required as a 6 option and making a good fist of the row.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It's also about combining the right skillsets.

One of the 6 or 8 needs to have the speed and acceleration to work in the wide channels on the field and defend there against backs when necessary (mostly on turnover ball). We got skinned a few times because Salakaia-Loto didn't have that pace when he was playing 6.

One will naturally be the crash ball runner in midfield and from lineouts. We don't necessarily gain much if their biggest asset is both ball running because one of them won't get to do it nearly as much.

I'd lean towards two of Valetini, Naisarani and Wilson at the moment. Naisarani obviously being dependent on recovering from injury. I'd probably have Wilson as the chief ball runner out of those three.

Wright is definitely an intriguing option at 6 but I think he could be a little light for test match rugby there particularly when we've got some bigger bodies available to play 6 who are also in great form. Wright could be the best option for the bench backrower though.

I would guess Salakaia-Loto & Simmons will be the locks so we will need both the 6 & 8 to be lineout options and be angry around the field

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I would guess Salakaia-Loto & Simmons will be the locks so we will need both the 6 & 8 to be lineout options and be angry around the field

Interesting. I take it you are not happy with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) jumping?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The beauty of Fardy was that he could play a genuine sidekick to every aspect of whats required across the pack.

They don't need to be exceptional at anything, they just need to have the ability to be an option so that a single facet of the game isn't purely on the shoulders of one person.

In my opinion if the player can tick the following boxes they are the right candidate

- Outside of the lock are they the next option in the line out?
- Outside of your 7 are they the next most likely to get their head over the ball?
- Outside of your 8 are they the next most likely to truck the ball forward?
- Are they versatile to play another position if someone gets injured?
- Are they the next most likely player to hit a ruck?

Like 12 is for the backline, they should be complimentary to the rest of the unit it works within.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Because he’s not very good at rugby, and the Wallabies are our national team?

My personal power rankings of Australian-based lock options:

1. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
2. Simmons
3. Phillip
4. Neville
5. Hanigan
6. Swain
7. Blyth
8. Lee-Warner

Others include McCauley, Staniforth, Stolberg, Hosea, Haangana, Haylett-Petty, Frost, Wood, Pugh, Grant, Atkins.

To assert that he's "not very good at Rugby" is over the top. He was excellent on the weekend, for example.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

My personal power rankings of Australian-based lock options:

1. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
2. Simmons
3. Phillip
4. Neville
5. Hanigan
6. Swain
7. Blyth
8. Lee-Warner

Others include McCauley, Staniforth, Stolberg, Hosea, Haangana, Haylett-Petty, Frost, Wood, Pugh, Grant, Atkins.

To assert that he's "not very good at Rugby" is over the top. He was excellent on the weekend, for example.

On body of work for the whole year (Simmons was brilliant last week but been poor earlier in the year) i believe Philip and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) are the clear standouts, although i am not sure if the two of them are a good combo. They kinda both play the same role, hence why i believe either will team up with Simmons.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is the first month and a half of Super Rugby relevant at this point?

We then had a three and a half month break with no rugby and won't be playing a test until October.

Early season form generally doesn't count for much when test squads get picked and it's surely going to count for way less this year.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The beauty of Fardy was that he could play a genuine sidekick to every aspect of whats required across the pack.

They don't need to be exceptional at anything, they just need to have the ability to be an option so that a single facet of the game isn't purely on the shoulders of one person.

In my opinion if the player can tick the following boxes they are the right candidate

- Outside of the lock are they the next option in the line out?
- Outside of your 7 are they the next most likely to get their head over the ball?
- Outside of your 8 are they the next most likely to truck the ball forward?
- Are they versatile to play another position if someone gets injured?
- Are they the next most likely player to hit a ruck?

Like 12 is for the backline, they should be complimentary to the rest of the unit it works within.

I know I am a Reds fan - but Liam Wright will go close on that list.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sorry I completely missed all the build up, context and dairy related comments.

That being said - many have called for Mcreights but would that impact balance of the back row '6'?
Its probably a year too soon for McReight to kick ofd his Wallaby career. He has been solid bit isnt standing out and demanding selection like Wilson.