• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting. I take it you are not happy with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) jumping?

No, he is good, but he is a light lock and Simmons plays like a light lock, both are more effective when they can't be focused down

You see the same at the Tahs where having 4 options is making the lineout more of a weapon; but as with the Tahs the 6 & 8 also need to do that extra grunt work, and when they do, Hooper gets the freedom to be an absolute beast

Reactions: dru

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)’s jumping is fine, I think he can be guilty of slapping the ball down to the 9 too much rather than controlling it but he’s been getting some wobbly throws so I can’t be too critical.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Its probably a year too soon for McReight to kick ofd his Wallaby career. He has been solid bit isnt standing out and demanding selection like Wilson.

Provided Naisirani comes through alright i'd be tempted to hold the whole QLD backrow off Wallaby selection for another 12 months

Those guys are most definitely long term Wallabies, however we have a glut of backrowers to choose from so i think we can afford to take our time blooding them. Get them in and around the set-up now but let the older guys hold down the fort for another 12 months while the QLDers mature and work at their game more

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I know I am a Reds fan - but Liam Wright will go close on that list.

My issue with Wright is his ball carrying, at the moment it's not at the level of Wilson, Naisirani or Valetini.

But you could argue we might not need it in a pack featuring LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Hooper, Wilson/Naisirani, Allan A, FF (Folau Fainga'a), Slipper.

B

Bobby Sands

My personal power rankings of Australian-based lock options:

1. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
2. Simmons
3. Phillip
4. Neville
5. Hanigan
6. Swain
7. Blyth
8. Lee-Warner

Others include McCauley, Staniforth, Stolberg, Hosea, Haangana, Haylett-Petty, Frost, Wood, Pugh, Grant, Atkins.

To assert that he's "not very good at Rugby" is over the top. He was excellent on the weekend, for example.

What about ASY (Angus Scott-Young)?

B

Bobby Sands

Its probably a year too soon for McReight to kick ofd his Wallaby career. He has been solid bit isnt standing out and demanding selection like Wilson.

Fair statement.

Harry is a force of nature, but Fraser is coming.

I genuinely am very stoked to have those two starting. Can't remember liking a backrow more.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd argue that he (along with Hanigan and Lee-Warner) just aren't tall enough for international lock.

I think they can be but they need to be incredibly gifted in other areas. Either their physicality (Brad Thorn) or skills (Maro Itoje).

I think they can be good enough in the lineout at that height. I would say Hanigan is a better lineout exponent both in attack and defence than many taller locks.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I think they can be but they need to be incredibly gifted in other areas. Either their physicality (Brad Thorn) or skills (Maro Itoje).

I think they can be good enough in the lineout at that height. I would say Hanigan is a better lineout exponent both in attack and defence than many taller locks.

Certainly as a defensive lineout option, I often think the slightly smaller lock/6 is your best bet there, as they are often capable of getting up quicker than the big men they're competing against. It's particularly useful when a spoil is as good as a win. It's on your own through that I feel you need two truly tall options to start, then you can take advantage of the shorter, quicker men. Otherwise it's just too easy for the opposition to spoil your ball.

And you're right about Itoje and Thorn as examples at that size (or ~1cm taller) but I don't think any of those guys are near them in terms of what they bring.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's on your own through that I feel you need two truly tall options to start, then you can take advantage of the shorter, quicker men. Otherwise it's just too easy for the opposition to spoil your ball.

And you're right about Itoje and Thorn as examples at that size (or ~1cm taller) but I don't think any of those guys are near them in terms of what they bring.

It's pretty rare though that players are routinely catching the ball at the very top of their jump where the extra height is going to be beneficial. I think the skill level makes more difference here (both of the jumper, lifter and hooker). I tend to think the lineout lock with better timing and ball skills who might be 1.94m is going to be better than the 2.04m lock who isn't as good at these things. The better they are at routinely being at the top of their jump when the ball is going past, the more likely the hooker is to aim higher and keep it out of reach of the defensive jumpers.

In relation to your second point, absolutely. None of these shorter guys are close. I wouldn't consider them as locks at test level.

B

Bobby Sands

I'd argue that he (along with Hanigan and Lee-Warner) just aren't tall enough for international lock.

I actually think its a great career move and positional pivot for ASY (Angus Scott-Young).

When you see him in person, he is a big, imposing man.

His entire game is built on grunt and the tight stuff, and his work ethic. I have no doubt think Thorn see's a lot of himself in ASY (Angus Scott-Young).

Let's hope it works out.

He's also probably the most academic man in world rugby, which might imply he thinks deeply about the game and his role in it, or it could just be a complete red herring. ;)

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I actually think its a great career move and positional pivot for ASY (Angus Scott-Young).

When you see him in person, he is a big, imposing man.

His entire game is built on grunt and the tight stuff, and his work ethic. I have no doubt think Thorn see's a lot of himself in ASY (Angus Scott-Young).

Let's hope it works out.

He's also probably the most academic man in world rugby, which might imply he thinks deeply about the game and his role in it, or it could just be a complete red herring. ;)

I don't think it's a bad move for him, certainly it increases his value at super rugby level and it's giving him an opportunity to get on the field with the Reds pretty stacked in his preferred position. I just don't think he's in the frame for the wallabies lock spots.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
A
I don't think it's a bad move for him, certainly it increases his value at super rugby level and it's giving him an opportunity to get on the field with the Reds pretty stacked in his preferred position. I just don't think he's in the frame for the wallabies lock spots.
As BH has pointed out - pretty much any lock in Aus is in the running if there are a few injuries.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
A
As BH has pointed out - pretty much any lock in Aus is in the running if there are a few injuries.

Sure, but that's true of most positions - we only have about 4.5 teams (in terms of available wallabies) running around and a lot of incumbents have left, so bad luck with injuries will always change the dynamic. I'm not sure we gain much from talking about the guys that'll get picked if we lose all the current contenders right now.

I'm more interested in who would get picked from the currently available selection - at this stage I'd say LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Simmons, with Phillips, Blyth, Swain or Neville for the bench, Phillips looking most likely as long as contracting doesn't get in the way.

Edit: I'd also throw Stolberg in as a smokey, he was playing quite well before the break and is a solid option if they want a more experienced head.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sure, but that's true of most positions - we only have about 4.5 teams (in terms of available wallabies) running around and a lot of incumbents have left, so bad luck with injuries will always change the dynamic. I'm not sure we gain much from talking about the guys that'll get picked if we lose all the current contenders right now.

I'm more interested in who would get picked from the currently available selection - at this stage I'd say LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Simmons, with Phillips, Blyth, Swain or Neville for the bench, Phillips looking most likely as long as contracting doesn't get in the way.

Edit: I'd also throw Stolberg in as a smokey, he was playing quite well before the break and is a solid option if they want a more experienced head.

The most experienced and talented locks currently playing in Aus are, in my opinion, Simmons, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Philip. I think we should select Philip. He's leaving to cash in and then coming straight back.

Any combination of those three would satisfy me.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah, I'm definitely leaning that way and think he is keen to play for the Wallabies and not just jaunt off to France for the money. In another year I might prefer a harder line from RA but given COVID and pay cuts and everything else I don't think it's a big deal if he plays.

I would like to see a bit more from him on the field though, I'm not sure he has quite stood out just yet and I'd prefer he was pushing for a start, but there's still quite a bit of Rugby to play before selection.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
He'll miss some of a Super Rugby season - I would rather that and skipping things like NRC, then losing players to full time 2 or 3 year deals overseas.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Yeah, I'm definitely leaning that way and think he is keen to play for the Wallabies and not just jaunt off to France for the money. In another year I might prefer a harder line from RA but given COVID and pay cuts and everything else I don't think it's a big deal if he plays.

I would like to see a bit more from him on the field though, I'm not sure he has quite stood out just yet and I'd prefer he was pushing for a start, but there's still quite a bit of Rugby to play before selection.

Philip has stated that he thinks a stint in the NH will be good for his rugby and might help him get selected for the wobs. Not saying it isn't primarily for the Euros but he does seem very keen to play in gold again.