• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Petaia may well be best at 13, but he isn't being played there at the Reds. He might be a bench option at 22, especially when you have both JOC (James O'Connor) and To'omua on the field.

I hope Petaia doesnt get pigeon holed as 22/23 because of his high level of ability at a number of positions . To be fair I think he is the best 13, probably the best 11/14 and possibly even 15 given DHP injury and Maddocks inconsistency. The kid is something special, and despite his long lay off has come straight back in and excelled wherever he has ben played.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
This?

9. White
10. O'Conner
11. Daugunu
12. To'omua
13. Petaia
14. Wright
15. Maddocks

21. McDermott
22. Koroibete
23. Hodge
Like this a lot, my caveat would be that Koroibete or Daugunu start or they miss out altogether. Wright has a bit more versatility and is a more of a chance for the bench. I think my preference would be McDermott starting JOC (James O'Connor) with Harrison and White from the bench.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
History says that the John Eales medalist will be given a starting berth. He wasn’t great last game but has been a standout prior to that.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
History says that the John Eales medalist will be given a starting berth. He wasn’t great last game but has been a standout prior to that.

It is refreshing that this is even a point of discussion rather than which 15 to pair with Korobiete

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Fascinating how few Brumbies there are being discussed. Brumbies are really the definition of "champion team not team of champions".

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I hope Petaia doesnt get pigeon holed as 22/23 because of his high level of ability at a number of positions . To be fair I think he is the best 13, probably the best 11/14 and possibly even 15 given DHP injury and Maddocks inconsistency. The kid is something special, and despite his long lay off has come straight back in and excelled wherever he has ben played.
I think Petaia is pretty much a guaranteed starter somewhere in the 15.

I don't think i've seen the kid make a mistake yet. I'd love to see 11. MK 13. Petaia 14. Daugunu.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Thoughts on this Wallabies backline?

9. Tate McDermott
10. James O'Conner
11. Marika Koroibete
12. Matt To'omua
13. Jordan Petaia
14. Dane Haylett-Petty
15. Jack Maddocks

21. Jake Gordon
22. Irae Simone
23. Tom Wright
Don’t need Simone on the bench with 3 starting centres. Better to have Lolesio if fit.
DHP is at 15 or not at all. Better off to have Daugunu or Ramm.
Hodge wears 23.

Reactions: dru

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I think Petaia is pretty much a guaranteed starter somewhere in the 15.

I don't think i've seen the kid make a mistake yet. I'd love to see 11. MK 13. Petaia 14. Daugunu.

I've seen him force more than one or two offloads...

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Thoughts on this Wallabies backline?

9. Tate McDermott
10. James O'Conner
11. Marika Koroibete
12. Matt To'omua
13. Jordan Petaia
14. Dane Haylett-Petty
15. Jack Maddocks

21. Jake Gordon
22. Irae Simone
23. Tom Wright

Swap DHP with Wright and I think that backline is nearly spot on- great balance of form and potential.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
White was great when he came on, let’s remember it’s been 6months since his last game. Overall played a good game and was hugely influential when came on.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Despite tonight's result, I am still keen on Maddocks at 15 and probably Harrison on the bench. Other than those, no other Tahs backs in the picture.

No 9 ought to be between White and Tate, 10, either MT or JOC (James O'Connor) with Harrison on the bench, 12 MT or JOC (James O'Connor) or Simone, 13 Petaia or Kuridrani if experience is the criterium, wingers between MK, Duagunu and Wright. Ramm will get a go at some stage.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Despite tonight's result, I am still keen on Maddocks at 15 and probably Harrison on the bench. Other than those, no other Tahs backs in the picture.

No 9 ought to be between White and Tate, 10, either MT or JOC (James O'Connor) with Harrison on the bench, 12 MT or JOC (James O'Connor) or Simone, 13 Petaia or Kuridrani if experience is the criterium, wingers between MK, Duagunu and Wright. Ramm will get a go at some stage.

I think that's a good call, Maddocks has the best skillset of any Australian fullback imo (kick, pass, running) but needs to up his consistancy. Same goes for Ramm on the wing.
Being in the back three is hard because your performance is so often tied to the rest of the team.

Harrison has continually improved throughout the season and should definitely be coming off the bench to get some international game time. Super high ceiling on him.

Gordon should be in the squad, and potentially some time on the bench, but I don't think he'll start the big games.