• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I think Whites getting a lot of talk as test half as we haven’t seen him play enough of late. We’ve been watching all the other options playing for the whole comp, it’s easy to poke holes in someone that’s played a few matches as opposed to someone who’s played 30 minutes. McDermott was conspicuous by his absence in the first half against the Tahs, same Gordon when Mitch Short was running the show. I think those two and Powell should be disappointed that Whites “game management” is being put before their current form.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I thought I would move the McDermott v White debate over here where it seems more relevant that the Brumbies v Tahs match thread.

I get the calls to introduce McDermott to test rugby off the bench.

What I don’t really get is the calls to use McDermott as a weapon against tired defence. I understand his running game will be very useful then, but unless people see it as a 50/50 call then surely you pick your best guy to start.

With regards to Nic White - no doubt he is a good solid half with the benefit of experience. He was arguably hard done by at the selection table in the past. But he isn’t, and never has been, a world beater at test level. I don’t see why he has an inside running to the Wallabies 9 job unless he is clearly first pick on current form. I don’t mind if that comes from a relatively small sample size, but he has to earn it on current form and, IMO, McDermott is clearly in front at this time.

The other interesting thing is whether White’s return kills off any remaining chance Powell had. Or, does Powell get give back the starting jersey next game. He has been doing a pretty good job.

You remember Perth last year? If not, watch it again and focus on White.

Unleashing McDermott off the bench is a juicy prospect....

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
For me, McDermott has the starting jersey in hand given his performances over the last two weeks in particular but the form he showed before that as well. White has the opportunity to take it from him over the remainder of the competition.

I'm not sure a 9 is necessarily 'unleashed' from the bench. If we send Tate on in the last 20 in a (hopefully) tight game against the ABs will he be looking for opportunities to snipe or just keeping his head down and getting his passes right? I feel he's more likely to have a dig in the final quarter if he has his confidence up from a solid start.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I'm not sure a 9 is necessarily 'unleashed' from the bench. If we send Tate on in the last 20 in a (hopefully) tight game against the ABs will he be looking for opportunities to snipe or just keeping his head down and getting his passes right? I feel he's more likely to have a dig in the final quarter if he has his confidence up from a solid start.

If he is selected to play on the bench it will be the coach who decides what his role will be. Obviously that will depend on the state of the game at the time, the scores, the balance of advantage between the two packs. If the coach wants him to "have a dig" and he doesn't, that would be pretty stupid, wouldn't it?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
If he is selected to play on the bench it will be the coach who decides what his role will be. Obviously that will depend on the state of the game at the time, the scores, the balance of advantage between the two packs. If the coach wants him to "have a dig" and he doesn't, that would be pretty stupid, wouldn't it?
Being told 'run from the base of the ruck when it's on' isn't really concrete directive, a lot depends on confidence. I don't think Tate walks onto the field with 20 to go and takes that quick tap no matter what the coach says. If he's been playing for 60 minutes and is in the rhythm of the game then much more chance.

B

Bobby Sands

Yes - I remember. But one off performances don’t prove the case to start White. Over his career he has been decent, but no better than that.

60 minutes of McDermott at full throttle is a jucier prospect IMO.

Don’t take the bait boys.

Everyone knows Tate is the rising 9 of Australian rugby.

B

Bobby Sands

I also remember the game the week after where we go thrashed 36-0. White also started that game too, should I focus on him as well for that game?

White is an experienced and valued 9, that is erratic and has never been a world class 9 despite having some cracking games at all levels.

It might make sense for him to be the starter, but let’s not pretend he is Nick Farr-Jones.

I think the 9’s should be Powell & Tate, with Tate starting.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I thought Neville's lineout work was excellent this weekend. It's only one game at this point but with the state of our locks he has a real chance of forcing his way into the conversation over the 3 remaining Super AU games. Doesn't hurt that he's got a bit more experience and Rennie is looking at a larger squad size to cope with the bubble.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I thought Neville's lineout work was excellent this weekend. It's only one game at this point but with the state of our locks he has a real chance of forcing his way into the conversation over the 3 remaining Super AU games. Doesn't hurt that he's got a bit more experience and Rennie is looking at a larger squad size to cope with the bubble.

He was in better form than most of the other locks in the country pre-COVID as well

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
He is the "Hanigan" of our current 9s, solid, but doesn't have that real special touch
Yep, he’s a good super player but isn’t the level or potential of others. Don’t get me wrong, fingers crossed the Rebels find a way to sign him for next season as he’d improve the team but he’s not at McDermott, Gordon or White level.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yep, he’s a good super player but isn’t the level or potential of others. Don’t get me wrong, fingers crossed the Rebels find a way to sign him for next season as he’d improve the team but he’s not at McDermott, Gordon or White level.

Joe is a quality player who got a very raw deal from the previous national coach. He is easily in Jake Gordon's class, if behind McDermott the and White. I will not be bad mouthing him if he moves to the Rebels next year, as seems to be the normal practice of a lot of fans here when their favourites move clubs.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
BR his own Super Rugby coach seems to give him a raw deal too then? Wasn’t even in the match day squad last weekend

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Powell got limited Wallaby time but he did fuck all with the time he did get. Cheika was guilty of a lot of things but he didn't screw Powell over.