• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not big on Fullback and Winger captains. Bit far away from the action.

the pros of winger captain.

easier for coach to get messages into the player standing close to sideline.

plus allows for longer rest break for tired forwards when the referee blows their whistle so they can have a quick chat to the skipper.

I too was not a fan of winger captains but after seeing it recently in action I saw the benefits.

I wouldn’t pick kellaway as captain as I see no leadership qualities in him personally. (But I can only gauge those qualities from body language on field and how a player conducts himself in interviews etc)

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
6 - Valentini
7 - McReight
8 - Wilson
6 - Wright
7 - McReight
8 - Valetini
20 - Wilson

Taking off my rose-tinted glasses, that for me is the most balanced backrow we can put on the field in terms of attacking threat, defensive work-rate, breakdown and set-piece. Plus having Wilson come on with 30 to go and combine with McReight is mouthwatering. Let Cale develop a bit more before throwing him in the deep end.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
I have a feeling that we might see Wright with a c after his name. I think we need to pick the captain first.
Wouldn't be the first time a blindside flanker has been thrust into the captaincy role in his late 20's after only playing a handful of tests...

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
6 - Wright
7 - McReight
8 - Valetini
20 - Wilson

Taking off my rose-tinted glasses, that for me is the most balanced backrow we can put on the field in terms of attacking threat, defensive work-rate, breakdown and set-piece. Plus having Wilson come on with 30 to go and combine with McReight is mouthwatering. Let Cale develop a bit more before throwing him in the deep end.
You mean putting them on?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
6 - Wright
7 - McReight
8 - Valetini
20 - Wilson

Yeah that’s my pick too.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
One of us did, or at least went very close...
BR said his not cut and dry fullback and that his played better on the wing (so has Wright) but said he'd be in the 15. No one ever said he shouldn't be selected. In fact we have all said he will be at 15 or the wing

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
A fullback? He's far away from the referee. You have to give him a megaphone
This is a nonsense argument, really. In most circumstances he'd be no more than 20-30m away at any time, and with the amount of stuffing around with penalties / free kicks and set pieces that goes on it'd be easy to engage with the ref.
I doubt Kellaway would be named captain, but that reason would not be why. I think there are better candidates.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
This is a nonsense argument, really. In most circumstances he'd be no more than 20-30m away at any time, and with the amount of stuffing around with penalties / free kicks and set pieces that goes on it'd be easy to engage with the ref.
I doubt Kellaway would be named captain, but that reason would not be why. I think there are better candidates.
One of the reasons. Not even a Tahs captain in my books

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Liam Wright's playing better this year, but I don't think that means he's a walk-up starter at 6 or 7, at best I think he's bench back-row cover given his ability to jump and cover two positions. Likewise Wilson's having a better year, but still plays light at super rugby and that struggles to translate into the test arena.

No doubt both will be in or around the squad, but I think with Bobby and McReight a lock there's a bunch of options that can cover 6 that you've got to weigh up against Wilson assuming Bobby is playing 8.

Top Bottom