• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Finland Fella

Ease up guys ... Joey Lussick is a fine young footballer. You must remember he was slated to be the halfback right up until the final trial when Fin McDonald became unavailable with a broken hand. He's also a halfback playing league - in the two games at 10 this year he had no Baldwin against Scots and the comps best backrow zeroing in on him against View.

Re the Parra deal - good luck to him and he'll get to play alongside his school mate Tepai Moeroa.

Rugby Parent

Stan Wickham (3)
I wish Joey Lussick the best of luck. Parramatta would not have signed him if he does not have genuine talent and potential to progress.

However one thing struck me in Finland Fella's post. He suggested as a rugby league halback Joey was being played out of position as a rugby fly half in the GPS. In my view the nearest equivalent positions to a modern rugby league hooker is a rugby No.9, and nearest to a rugby league halfback is a rugby no. 10. That is to say if Joey is not out of position as a rugby league halfback, GPS rugby no. 10 should be his ideal position.

F

Finland Fella

I wish Joey Lussick the best of luck. Parramatta would not have signed him if he does not have genuine talent and potential to progress.

However one thing struck me in Finland Fella's post. He suggested as a rugby league halback Joey was being played out of position as a rugby fly half in the GPS. In my view the nearest equivalent positions to a modern rugby league hooker is a rugby No.9, and nearest to a rugby league halfback is a rugby no. 10. That is to say if Joey is not out of position as a rugby league halfback, GPS rugby no. 10 should be his ideal position.

Funny you should mention that 'RF' ... I remember seeing a game of Matthews Cup league last season out at Liverpool when Manly beat Wests in extreme heat and Joey Lussick played brilliantly out of dummy half - so yeah, I hear what you're saying. I like him as a rugby half better than a flyhalf right now - next year ??? who knows.

S

shinsplits

I have been fortunate to observe Joey in Rugby League and Union over the past 5 years. I have not seen him play Union since he went to Newington, so I can not comment on his Union this year.

He has a very strong Rugby League pedigree and in my opinion is a very very good leaguie, and it is most likely his preferred code. He is also a nice kid.

I hope he does well.

T

Try Time

A rugby flyhalf has his hands out in front and catches the ball on the run. With the flyhalf moving forward the whole back line moves forward with him. Very few league 5/8's are in motion when they catch the ball. Rugby halfs throw a hard flat spin pass out in front of the receiver who must be in motion to catch it. Most league halfs pass with their top elbow extended and the ball flicked from the wrists. The elbow position makes it impossible to follow through on the pass to give it direction, speed and distance. The wrist action causes the ball to float end-over-end in the manner of a dead duck. The end-over-end ball is more difficult to catch than the spin ball which is partly why league players are flat footed on the catch. Watch any NRL game and you'll se it repeatedly. Look out for Jamie Soward, particularly as he passes to his right for the dead duck phenomenon. My point is that League 6 and 7's, whilst generally good defenders and athletes, have major structural flaws to overcome in order to be successful in union. In the opposite direction, rugby 9 and 10's who can tackle can be very successful at League. Wally Lewis and Ricky Stuart spring to mind. I can't think of anyone going the other way.

P

pitbull

I heard that pryor-lees from newington is out for the rest of the season with a broken jaw? anyone confirm? apparently he was assaulted by a couple of blokes over the weekend, poor kid

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Ive seen the list of boys who were invited to trial for the GPS 16's side and on that list they had Oscar Popple as playing for the Second XV. When i saw Newington play he was playing fullback for there 1's. Is that just a typo or has he been dropped?

F

Finland Fella

Ive seen the list of boys who were invited to trial for the GPS 16's side and on that list they had Oscar Popple as playing for the Second XV. When i saw Newington play he was playing fullback for there 1's. Is that just a typo or has he been dropped?

He played at fullback in the ones against View - and played very well.

T

TigersFan5

I heard that pryor-lees from newington is out for the rest of the season with a broken jaw? anyone confirm? apparently he was assaulted by a couple of blokes over the weekend, poor kid
Yes, i have heard the same, Pyror-Lees is out with a broken jaw.

connor95

Allen Oxlade (6)
Who are the favourites for the Joeys v Scots game, also im hearing rumours that Grammar have a fairly strong first XV side any truth in this?

RugbyNut101

Peter Burge (5)
Who are the favourites for the Joeys v Scots game, also im hearing rumours that Grammar have a fairly strong first XV side any truth in this?

You could say scots are favourites for their clash with Joeys, going on recent form. But Joey's at home is always tough.
I think Grammar are being sold as stronger than usual and some are picking Grammar to touple Kings when they play.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Every year the stars align and Grammar threatens to win one Gps game other than High even with a weak team like that in 2007 (almost beat Joeys at Weigall). In 2006 and 2008, the Grammar team could genuinely threaten but this years team probably won't win a game. But there will be one game when as I said they may come close. It could be this week but it is more likely to be one of their home games.

Status
Not open for further replies.