• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd Place Play Off - Wallabies v Wales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
With Vickerman, Moore, Kepu, McCabe out (and Beale in) I hope he picks:

Slipper/Nau/Alexander (bench Maafu and Sfinger)
Sharpe(c) and Simmons (Horwill to come off the bench)
Pocock/Hbot/Samo (Elsom and Macca on the bench)
Genia, Cooper, Ioane, Barnes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor), Beale (bench Horne and a halfback)

Note this = the Paris backline (Ioane who was injured for Mitchell who is now injured), and the one I think we ought to have used in the RWC instead of the centres we went with. If Beale is out Turner to the bench, Horne to 13, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing.

D

DJC

What was wrong with Tatafu?

I'd love to know why TPN looked so out of sorts whenever he had game time during the RWC. In the games I watched he was almost unrecognisable from the Tah's version. Has someone told him to temper his style to prolong his career or was he just pissed off?

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
The side I'd like to see:
1. Slipper 2. Nau 3. Alexander
4. Sharpe 5. Horwill
6. Higginbotham 8. Elsom 7. Pocock
9. Burgess 10. Barnes
12. Horne 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
11. Ioane 15. O'Connor 14. Turner

Res: 16 Fainga'a 17 Maafu 18 Simmons 19 Hodgson 20 Phipps 21 Cooper 22 Fainga'a

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd love to know why TPN looked so out of sorts whenever he had game time during the RWC. In the games I watched he was almost unrecognisable from the Tah's version. Has someone told him to temper his style to prolong his career or was he just pissed off?

No Sharon... We needed the Taf Whisperer, otherwise we get regular Taf, not Super Taf

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)

Don't think he has ever gotten right since the injuries. Still, he was playing better on one leg in some games for the Tahs then he played all RWC.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
With Vickerman, Moore, Kepu, McCabe out (and Beale in) I hope he picks:

Slipper/Nau/Alexander (bench Maafu and Sfinger)
Sharpe(c) and Simmons (Horwill to come off the bench)
Pocock/Hbot/Samo (Elsom and Macca on the bench)
Genia, Cooper, Ioane, Barnes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor), Beale (bench Horne and a halfback)

Note this = the Paris backline (Ioane who was injured for Mitchell who is now injured), and the one I think we ought to have used in the RWC instead of the centres we went with. If Beale is out Turner to the bench, Horne to 13, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing.

I think you need to move on from Paris.

The French laid down for us.

D

DJC

It's almost back to back tests against Wales with the Wallabies due to meet the Welsh at Millenium on 3 Dec. As I'll be at Millenium on 3 Dec courtesy of a corporate gig I wonder what sort of touring squad the Wallabies are going to send. If we assume Sharpe has retired and a few others are recooperating, will Deans and his cohorts be brave or conservative. The Welsh front five even without Adam Jones are generally one of the better scrums in the 6N and as we proved on Saturday we are one of the weakest.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think we should give our back up 7 a run in case we have to play a game in the future without Pocock.

Oh.....hang on a sec.

W

waves

I hope Deans will play a team like this:

1. Slipper 2. Polota-Nau 3. Alexander
4. Sharpe 5. Horwill ( c )
6. Higginbotham 7. Pocock 8. McCalman
9. Phipps 10. Barnes
12. Horne 13. Ashley-Cooper
11. Ioane 14. Mitchell 15. O'Connor

16. S. Fainga'a 17. Ma'afu
18. Simmons 19. Samo 20. Genia
21. Cooper 22. McCabe

P

proton

Yep Cooper should go. He had a bit of a mission turning up and being booed everytime he touched the ball but at that level you need to be able to handle the pressure. I think they really missed Beale if he had played it may have been a different story. It would have been a great final Aus NZ if only the Irish didnt wake up.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Was he? It was his missed tackle that allowed Nonu in and he was part of a backrow that did very little to aid Pocock. I though he was largely absent apart from a tackle here and there, one lineout take on own throw (nil steals) and one run for about 10 metres. He was totally and utterly outplayed by Kaino.

Pretty sure Scotty was being sarcastic (I hope). In Elsom we have got our very own suitcase a la Reuben Thorne, but one without the "burden" of captaincy. Time to give Higgers a go.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Off the most recent train of thoughts in this thread...
Have a look when you can the the current welsh squad and their ages.
Provided they can adequately replace phillips and adam jones, this entire welsh team has at least one more world cup in them (when they'll still be late 20's) and a near majority of the squad easily have 2 world cups.
the fact that jamie roberts is only 24 absolutely terrifies me. Jonathan Davies - 23, Halfpenny 22, Falatau is only 20 and warburton 23....even charteris at 28 will be around and at nearly peak lock age by the next cup.
Good luck to England, Ireland and Scotland competing with them for the next 5 years. France always seem to produce quality players so I think they'll be their main challenge up in the north.
some outstanding young players.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Welsh team announced. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby-world-cup-2011/news/article.cfm?c_id=522&objectid=10759998

Wales coach Warren Gatland has stuck with the same backline which started in the semifinal loss to France but made three changes to his pack due to suspension, injury and exhaustion for Friday's third-place playoff against Australia at the Rugby World Cup.

Ryan Jones joins the backrow to replaced suspended captain Sam Warburton, with Toby Faletau switching from No. 8 to the vacant openside flank. Paul James replaces injured tighthead Adam Jones and Bradley Davies comes into the second row to rest Alun Wyn Jones.

Frontrower Gethin Jenkins will take over as captain.

Warburton was suspended for three weeks after being red carded in the 18th minute of the 9-8 semifinal loss to France last Saturday for a dangerous tip tackle on French winger Vincent Clerc.

Wales:

1. Gethin Jenkins (c)
2. Huw Bennett
3. Paul James
4. Bradley Davies
5. Luke Charteris
6. Danny Lydiate
7. Toby Faletau
8. Ryan Jones
9. Mike Phillips
10. James Hook
11. Shane Williams

Jamie Roberts
13. Jonathan Davies
14. George North
15. Leigh Halfpenny

Replacements:

16. Lloyd Burns
17. Ryan Bevington
18. Alun Wyn Jones
19. Andy Powell
20. Lloyd Williams
21. Stephen Jones
22. Scott Williams

- AP

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gees, big change going from fetcher to number 8 at openside. I bet the Wallabies can tell you from experience, this may not be the wisest move as you will really miss what a fetcher brings when you suddenly lose one.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
I think both teams will go for it, I cant see OZ wanting Wales to beat them down there, Some key players on our side wont be playing, The game against France may have taken its toll too, But I think we will give it our best shot,
Pocock will be your ace card as we dont have a genuine open side in the 30 man squad, Scrums to should be even with our Tight head injured, But why play it Friday when everyone is in work bad call by the organisers me thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.