• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
I'd have Mitchell, with O'Connor at fullback. Maybe my eye sight is failing me but from where I sit Mitchell is playing his best rugby since 2010.

He is leading tackle busts in the whole comp. (according to foxsports stats) I would still like to see the errors go down in the next few rounds.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I am warming to the idea of having smith play 8 and gill 7, particularly if Palu isn't fit or in form. Smith has the skills to control the ball at the back of the scrum and the gill/smith double team could really hurt the lions as long as we have guys like horwill, Mmm and Moore smashing the rucks.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
If Delve remains injured Higgers has a chance of securing the 8 spot. He had a great game against the Force. For me 8 is one of Deans worries at the moment.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Delve remains injured Higgers has a chance of securing the 8 spot. He had a great game against the Force. For me 8 is one of Deans worries at the moment.

Him?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I'd have Mitchell, with O'Connor at fullback. Maybe my eye sight is failing me but from where I sit Mitchell is playing his best rugby since 2010.

I agree that he's playing a lot better with ball in hand but his errors have been very poor. If he cuts out the dropped high balls and other cheap, I'd be keen to see him start, perhaps with JOC (James O'Connor) at 15.

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper Ryan Slipper
4. Douglas McMeniman
5. Pyle Horwill
6. Smith McMeniman Mowen
7. Gill
8. Mowen Auelua
9. White Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Leallifano Tapuai
13. Fainga'a AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Mitchell
15. Mogg

16. Fainga'a Hanson
17. Alexander Ryan
18. Palmer Slipper Palmer
19. Simmons Pyle
20. Quirk Smith
21. Phipps White
22. Tapuai Leallifano
23. JOC (James O'Connor)

Latest changes are in green.

Assuming McMeniman is back in 4 to 6 weeks as they say and Smith is eligible I would go with the following and this is coming from a Reds fan.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. McMeniman (assuming he is back in 4 -6 weeks to play himself back into form)
5. Horwill (c)
6. Mowen
7. Smith
8. Palu
9. Genia (vc)
10. Tooma
11. Ioane
12. Lealifano
13. ACC
14. Mitchell (playing himself back into form and need him for his experience in a backline without a heck of a lot of experience)
15. Mogg

16. Hanson
17. Slipper (cover for both sides)
18. Ryan
19. Kimlin
20. Gill
21. White
22. Folau
23. JOC (James O'Connor)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would be amazed to see any new caps against the Lions, so all these 'form' picks of untested units just isn't going to happen.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't think deans will dismiss players who have not played for the wallabies before. He has a 3 week camp with a selected squad, and if he sticks with his form from previous years he will bring in a number of newbies and test them through training before making his decisions.

The other factor to consider is how he will want to play the game. If he wants a fast counter attacking and running backs type game he should favour cooper, JOC (James O'Connor), Beale (if available) and potentially Izzy, but ifhe wants to stick with the conservative territory game, someone like Mogg will be a better fit, and maybe Barnes and Mitchell.

That said, I have little confidence he will accurately pick the right players or the right game plan v the Lions.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Mogg's been better in attack this season than Beale has (with the exception of the Bulls and Crusaders games from 2012) been in over a year.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I would be amazed to see any new caps against the Lions, so all these 'form' picks of untested units just isn't going to happen.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

You woudl think so but i think now that McKenzie has thrown down the guantlet Dean will be under pressure to roll the dice

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I am not going to go bananas about Mogg until he strings together a few more quality performances. As it stands he has played three or four good games at the start of the season, but it is fair to say this injury has allowed a few others (Folau, Mafi etc) to catch up.

I like him. But at the moment, like Folau, I would prefer to see him debut later in the year than against the Lions.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You woudl think so but i think now that McKenzie has thrown down the guantlet Dean will be under pressure to roll the dice

nah, I think the Link "pressure" is irrelevant

With Gatland coaching the Lions, you can assume they will play a massive team playing a power game as did/do the Welsh.

Deans has been practicing the game to beat the Welsh for the last two years and has a set of players that he knows play in that system

Now this is not my wish or hope, just what I expect to see.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree that he's playing a lot better with ball in hand but his errors have been very poor. If he cuts out the dropped high balls and other cheap, I'd be keen to see him start, perhaps with JOC (James O'Connor) at 15.

Just looking at the Hurricanes game, Mitchell dropped a high ball which led directly to a Hurricanes converted try and then didn't catch a kick-off that then went into touch and the Hurricanes got a penalty immediately afterwards for another three points.

He is making big errors that are costing the team points. I agree that he is one of our best attacking players, but you have to cut out costly errors, particularly at test level.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I agree with that FP, and it is for this reason I think the forwards are largely settled. Changes I can see are Madness being picked up, Hooper to run on (Smith if available), Moore to run on, and form to decide Higgers vs Dennis.

Backs much more difficult. You can't really say there are any incumbents other than Genia, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Diggers. JOC (James O'Connor) is a given; Deans will have him run on, but where? 10, 14, or less likely 12, 13, even 15 though I tend to think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be put there instead if it came to it.

There is a long list of possibles to fill in the gaps. I tend to think the core of them will be Tomane, Mogg, CL, Barnes and McCabe.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon Mowen and White are the two most likely uncapped players to play against the Lions. They'd be the only two at this stage that I'd say are probable.

I think Mogg, Folau, Lealiifano and maybe Foley if he continues to play like he did against the Hurricanes are outside chances. I think all of them will be capped this year though.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I agree with that FP, and it is for this reason I think the forwards are largely settled. Changes I can see are Madness being picked up, Hooper to run on (Smith if available), Moore to run on, and form to decide Higgers vs Dennis.

Backs much more difficult. You can't really say there are any incumbents other than Genia, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Diggers. JOC (James O'Connor) is a given; Deans will have him run on, but where? 10, 14, or less likely 12, 13, even 15 though I tend to think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would be put there instead if it came to it.

There is a long list of possibles to fill in the gaps. I tend to think the core of them will be Tomane, Mogg, CL, Barnes and McCabe.

Don't forget McCabe is Dingo's love child. Even if he lost an arm, he'd still be in.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
If we weren't stuck in the Twilight Zone for the past few years I'd say Lealiifano was a shoe-in at 12 as we pretty clearly have two inside-centers playing what could be interpreted as test-quality rugby. But alas

Status
Not open for further replies.