• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's two big 'ifs' to begin with. The reality is though that many have a hard time differentiating what he currently offers with his apparent potential, which I admit is huge.

But you're right, who gives a fuck who plays for the Wallabies as long as we win hey! Why don't we see if we can just buy in a team of players from wherever and see if we can't just buy our way to a Lions Series win. Slater & Cronk would come across fairly well and are unbelievable talents, then you've got some fairly big strong athletic lads playing AFL that would kill it playing loose or in at lock etc. Bring them over to Union on a 6 month deal, then they can bugger off back to wherever they came from and 99% of the Rugby loving public would shout and cheer because we won.

Of course I'm being ridiculous but that's how I view the prospect of Folau playing against the Lions. I didn't like the idea to begin with but I was coming around very slowly but if he is in fact already talking with NRL clubs then he doesn't get a look in to the Lions. It just cheapens the jersey and the game.

As for the proven match winners and drawcards bit, I can only assume you meant to classify Folau as a drawcard and not a proven match winner because well, he hasn't proven that. As for drawcards, I can't see how having a celebrity on the field will help us win.

My problem is that he's simply not good enough to make the 23 man squad for the Lions at this stage when we have better fullbacks and wingers already....... [/broken record]

Whether or not he lasts a year in the game, the unjustified top up, and everything else simply adds to the debacle.........

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Whether or not he lasts a year in the game, the unjustified top up, and everything else simply adds to the debacle...

I wouldn't call it a debacle- yet. So far he is playing very well for the Tahs, and his performances are undoubtedly adding to the interest in the Tahs from both the wider media and general public.

He is also a realistic shot of playing for the Wallabies at some point this year.

Obviously if he signs with a League team for 2014 (which looks like it could be on the cards) then everything is cast in a different light.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
If Folau is playing well enough, and earns a place on merit, he should be picked against the Lions. Who cares whether or not he takes the place of a lesser player who has been playing rugby all his life? I don't, and I will wager that 99% of rugby supporters don't, let alone the huge numbers of non-rugby people who will tune in to watch the Lions Tests - some of them drawn in, no doubt, by the chance to see Izzy in action in a rival code to their own.

As for his future, he will only stay in rugby if he can earn as much here, as he can in loig. The only way that will happen is if he does get into the Wobbs match day squad, and then performs well.

So it's all a bit Catch-22. It's up to him, now, he needs to come to grips with our game quickly, and display his undoubted talents to the full.

I hope he does. We need proven match-winners to beat the Lions, and we also need some drawcards. Most of ours are a bit shop-worn, frankly.

Good post Wamberal. The best way to keep him in the code is to give him a run if he deserves one on form, and if he excels and stays, then it's wins all round.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
early reports for McMeniman are that he'll be out 2 to 6 weeks. Unless the injury is more sinister than expected, he should be available for Wallabies selection. :D

fingers crossed the MRI results are positive

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
early reports for McMeniman are that he'll be out 2 to 6 weeks. Unless the injury is more sinister than expected, he should be available for Wallabies selection. :D

aswell as being expected to re-sign with the force in the next couple of weeks :)

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

Fingers crossed. I hope someone warns the physios to be gentle with him.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Good post Wamberal. The best way to keep him in the code is to give him a run if he deserves one on form, and if he excels and stays, then it's wins all round.

Why is it up to Rugby to keep him in the code? Surely we want players who actually want to be playing Rugby to play? Sure if he hangs around long enough and form warrants it, give him a run in the EOYT, I have no problem with that. But this is the Lions. Sharpey, with his 116 Test Caps never got a chance, yet we're willing to just give a jersey to some guy who played for a season while he was waiting for a better offer in League?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper Ryan Slipper
4. Douglas McMeniman
5. Pyle Horwill
6. Smith McMeniman Mowen
7. Gill
8. Mowen Auelua
9. White Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Leallifano Tapuai
13. Fainga'a AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Mitchell
15. Mogg

16. Fainga'a Hanson
17. Alexander Ryan
18. Palmer Slipper Palmer
19. Simmons Pyle
20. Quirk Smith
21. Phipps White
22. Tapuai Leallifano
23. JOC (James O'Connor)

Latest changes are in green.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper Ryan Slipper
4. Douglas McMeniman
5. Pyle Horwill
6. Smith McMeniman Mowen
7. Gill
8. Mowen Auelua
9. White Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Leallifano Tapuai
13. Fainga'a AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Mitchell
15. Mogg

16. Fainga'a Hanson
17. Alexander Ryan
18. Palmer Slipper Palmer
19. Simmons Pyle
20. Quirk Smith
21. Phipps White
22. Tapuai Leallifano
23. JOC (James O'Connor)

Latest changes are in green.

99.99% agree with this 22 except i wish there was space for Mafi

Richo

John Thornett (49)
No4918, I'm a massive Mitchell fan and even I wouldn't have him starting. Too many errors and JOC (James O'Connor) is too good.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
No4918, I'm a massive Mitchell fan and even I wouldn't have him starting. Too many errors and JOC (James O'Connor) is too good.

You may be right, not having seen JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing hasn't helped. He struggles to get into the game enough from 15 without Beale so hopefully his combination with Cooper from Wallaby tours past allow him to be more involved. Neither player is at there best but both have shown enough of there class and experience that they must be there. Shipperley & Tomane are looking good and may be the only ones I can see knocking Mitchell out of the 23, they would have to be playing extremely well though.

With only 9 or so weeks left is anyone considering Beale an option?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
of course the selectors are on a hiding to nothing

if they pick on form and play lealiifano, mogg, etc and the result is bad they will be criticised for playing rookies against the lions, if the go with incumbents whom aren't playing that well, the criticism will still be there.

you can bet when its a close call the selectors will always opt for the incumbent, old hand over the untried, which means realistically barnes, mccabe, mitchell, JOC (James O'Connor), beale, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), tapuai, a fainga, over all the other potential candidates. and i suspect a very conservative game plan too.

a pity really imo.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
You may be right, not having seen JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing hasn't helped. He struggles to get into the game enough from 15 without Beale so hopefully his combination with Cooper from Wallaby tours past allow him to be more involved. Neither player is at there best but both have shown enough of there class and experience that they must be there. Shipperley & Tomane are looking good and may be the only ones I can see knocking Mitchell out of the 23, they would have to be playing extremely well though.

With only 9 or so weeks left is anyone considering Beale an option?

I don't think FB is a good position for him but the Rebels need him to play 10, 12 or 15. I think his best position internationally to date is wing. He's a tough defender for his size and a roving commission suits his game. At 15 he can insert himself early but I think that's less than ideal since he's so much more dangerous when play starts to break down a little.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I don't want Izzy for the Lions series. It will be to soon in his development to take the next step up. He is progressing well but I feel he will be a token selection at this stage. Given he commits to a future in rugby he will undoubtably be Wallaby material in the future. He could be a good prospect come EOYT but until then keep developing with the Tahs and move into Shute Shield afterwards to keep the game time up.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't want Izzy for the Lions series. It will be to soon in his development to take the next step up. He is progressing well but I feel he will be a token selection at this stage. Given he commits to a future in rugby he will undoubtably be Wallaby material in the future. He could be a good prospect come EOYT but until then keep developing with the Tahs and move into Shute Shield afterwards to keep the game time up.

This is a really good point there Ruggo. Even if he commits to Rugby, the next step up is the EOYT, then TRC then if he handles them well then we consider him for things like the Lions or RWCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.