• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Friday people, FRIDAY!

All will be revealed, and we can construct our best XXIIIs.

On an alternative train of thought, what do we want out of a Captain? In the leadership group for the Rebs, Pyle is gone, Higgers is in the Wallaby squad, Laurie is playing for the stars and Engo is a winger. Beyond that, Fugs is unlikely to play, and Burgess may end up playing in Sydney.

I don't want a front rower or back 3 player as captain (front rowers always get replaced, and the back 3 are often too far away to make a significant contribution as captain).

Then the question is, do we want a captain from the Rebels, or do we want one of the more experienced Club boys to take it, and give something to them.

For mine, I wouldn't mind Colby captaining the side, assuming he stays. He's in a good age bracket, no real injury worries and unlikely to be called up to the Canary Jersey unless Hooper, Hodgeson and Gill all go down with injury.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
Colby had minor shoulder surgery last week with a 12 week rehab in front of him. Won't be playing NRC unfortunately:(. Would have been a perfect choice to captain this side.

T

Train Without a Station

So he's a product of he's Western Sydney junior suburban club, and Trinity Grammar then?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Actually Jack Debreczeni (that's how you spell it) played his junior rugby in the west, his father's well known around the club. If Debreczeni isn't a product of Western Sydney Rugby then I don't know who is

That is all true.

Who he plays his rugby for now is probably more important though.

Who knows though. The Rising may run with Hegarty as their first choice 10 and send Debreczeni back to Sydney to be the Rams 10 so they both get lots of game time in their preferred position.

Alternatively, Ben Volavola could be the Rams likely 10.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So I didn't realise that Bryce Hegarty just had a shoulder operation.

I think we can fairly safely assume that Debreczeni will be the Rising 10.

I wonder where Mike Harris will play (whether it is for Rising or one of the Qld teams).

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'd assume that for the Purposes of the NRC, Harris would be aligned with one the Queensland sides, given he was a Reds player in 2014.

Otherwise I'd have expected guys like Jonah Placid to be down here playing, and not counting towards the Super Players limit.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd assume that for the Purposes of the NRC, Harris would be aligned with one the Queensland sides, given he was a Reds player in 2014.

Otherwise I'd have expected guys like Jonah Placid to be down here playing, and not counting towards the Super Players limit.

That's a good question regarding Placid, I don't think he was contracted this year.

Hmm, vague.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The Rebs said outright that they wouldn't Relocate anyone for the NRC, and at the time, it made sense. The only unaligned player we had signed was Steve Cummins, who'd signed a Currie Cup contract.

Given that Jonah was moving down to Melbourne in about 3 months anyway, I'd be slightly disappointed if they hadn't at least explored the possibility.

T

Train Without a Station

I'd prefer to see guys playing at their new club really. Gets them settled in their new environment (geographically and team wise) well before the season starts and gives them an opportunity to see them playing under their supervision prior to super rugby. I see the end of super rugby the end of "the rugby year" rather than the end of the NRC being it.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
new list

smith/ah nau
leafa/sexton
weeks/PAE
jeffries
neville
reid
faainga
timani

stirzaker/meehan
debreczeni/hegarty
a n other
inman
english
a n others brother
veainu

other locals

so space for lahiff ?, mcmahon (if available), fokati, ellison (but really should rest)
no one else is available from the rebels 2014 list apart from burgess

so plenty of room for locals to play in the back five of the pack and out wide in the backs

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
This discussion of "eligibility" is frustrating. This isn't an international or origin competition. Players are free to play at any team that wants them providing it doesn't conflict with other contracts.
I agree TWAS.

Its hard for the teams not playing cherry picked 16 Super Players, under the existence of super 15 infrastructure.
Compare that to the Rams who as recent as 2 weeks ago their consortium appeared to be imploding.

T

Train Without a Station

I just don't understand it. In your case for example Dave, the Rays can pick any player. Regardless if he plays for the Two-Blues, Brothers Brisbane, the Bumfuck Nowhere Rednecks in some backwater country comp or even *gasp* a Melbourne club team.

Likely the Rays will favour players from Norths, Marlins, Rats and Gordon over others as they know them best and they are closest proximity and therefore can train. But they aren't restricted to them.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I just don't understand it. In your case for example Dave, the Rays can pick any player. Regardless if he plays for the Two-Blues, Brothers Brisbane, the Bumfuck Nowhere Rednecks in some backwater country comp or even *gasp* a Melbourne club team.

Likely the Rays will favour players from Norths, Marlins, Rats and Gordon over others as they know them best and they are closest proximity and therefore can train. But they aren't restricted to them.

I didn't mention the Rays.
I referenced teams operating under Super 15 infrastructure and compared that to the likes of a consortium just starting out.

You've almost got to wonder why the Marlins didn't enter a bid to be the 18th Super Rugby franchise.
Who mentioned the Marlins, is that banner on your profile an alias and your an under the radar Marlins Supporter.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was just having a dig Dave. I'm not a Marlins supporter.

I did spend a year (back in 2001) working for a Manly board member though. One of the current board members also worked in the business.

T

Train Without a Station

Cool the jets big Dave, was merely referencing how your team was entitled to recruit if they saw fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.