• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pocock Arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
but i believe that standing up for ones beliefs in a passive protest is a positive example and kids could do far worse then having someone like David Pocock as an athlete to aspire to.

Call me crazy but this is about the most positive news to comes out of the ARU in the past month.
Yep, standing up for your beliefs is a good character trait BUT it wasn't a passive protest. He appears to have broken a law. I don't want kids to aspire to break the law.
A passive protest would have seen David waving signs at the entering digger, not chaining himself to it.
We are in a lamentable state if the most positive news about Australian Rugby is that a former captain, on the recovery trail, gets arrested by the police.

Reactions: daz
D

daz

Im more of a fan of Pocock then ever, not because of my beliefs in the issue he is fighting for, rather that he is willing to risk his professional rugby union career to stand up for something he believes in.

For people arguing that this isn't a positive example, well you are entitled to you opinion but i believe that standing up for ones beliefs in a passive protest is a positive example and kids could do far worse then having someone like David Pocock as an athlete to aspire to.

I get what you are saying TOCC, and of course your point is as valid as anyone else's, but I must respectfully disagree.

Morally right or not, this was not a late night burger run against the instructions of the coach, this was David Pocock breaking the law and being arrested by the police.

I am all for people making a stand for what they believe in, but there are consequences.

He can't have it both ways; if he wants to be socially active in these things, as a citizen he is fully entitled to make that choice. But as long as he is an employee of the ARU he needs to play by their rules. I bet there is a clause in his contract that states any conviction of a state or federal law will result in disciplinary action, hence the obligatory written warning.

In just about any business I have been in, being charged with (and subsequently being found guilty of) breaking the law is just as likely to mean I would be asked to show cause as to why my employment should not be terminated.

Tree hugging is cool, so of course most people don't put it in the same category as, oh, say, sexual harrassment or buglary, but we have laws in this country, so if he did it again, I would have no problem if his contract was ripped up.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Im more of a fan of Pocock then ever, not because of my beliefs in the issue he is fighting for, rather that he is willing to risk his professional rugby union career to stand up for something he believes in.

For people arguing that this isn't a positive example, well you are entitled to you opinion but i believe that standing up for ones beliefs in a passive protest is a positive example and kids could do far worse then having someone like David Pocock as an athlete to aspire to.

Call me crazy but this is about the most positive news to comes out of the ARU in the past month.

As for those arguing against it, i understand and respect your opinion and hope that you respect mine.

Without condoning what he has done (i.e. breaking the law), I absolutely respect David Pocock as an individual who appears to have: (a) a moral compass, (b) a brain, (c) genuine empathy for others, (d) an awareness that there is more to life than playing sport and going to the pub and (e) the strength to stand for things in which he believes, on top of being and elite athlete. I also support in general terms that which he is protesting against.

T

TOCC

Yep all good points, anyway I've said my piece so il leave it at that.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
He can trespass on as many things as he likes, the fact is he is good at rugby and there are no shortage of clubs willing to pay him to play for their team.

The ARU or the Brumbies can fire him if they want, but they wont, because he is good at what he does.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No he can't trespass wherever he wants.
This time no conviction will be recorded,but if he keeps doing it he will get convicted.
This can impact visa approvals in many countries.
Your not worth much to anyone as an international footballer,if you can't get a visa.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
In all seriousness though, I don't imagine the ARU would be too annoyed at him. He brings some publicity which puts him on a moral high ground and distracts a bit from other recent issues. Some people will think it was wrong but generally won't seriously dislike him for it. They do have to act somewhat tough though in order to not scare off potential sponsorship money from mining companies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Average Outside Center

Herbert Moran (7)
wouldn't be in this kerfuffle if we had more players like these and less vicious tree hugging equal rights fighting people like Pocock
510144-james-o-039-connor-buddy-franklin-digby-ioane-kurtley-beale-quade-cooper-spa.jpg

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I'm most disappointed in Pocock, and it's a perfect example of why the Wallabies will never be great. If it was Richie McCaw, there's no way he would have been arrested, Pocock really needs to improve his police/referee management.

The police wouldn't have been able to see him.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Tree hugging is cool, so of course most people don't put it in the same category as, oh, say, sexual harrassment or buglary, but we have laws in this country, so if he did it again, I would have no problem if his contract was ripped up.

So your point is that every law should be respected equally. Ever watched an illegal rugby stream or downloaded a song or movie for free? Most people have, and I'd bet pretty close to every Wallaby player has. Technically they're breaking the law.

If the ARU tore up his contract over something like a non-violent protest against coal mining it would be absolutely ridiculous and an incredibly bad PR move. Especially as the vast majority of people under about 35 share his beliefs on the issue.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So your point is that every law should be respected equally. Ever watched an illegal rugby stream or downloaded a song or movie for free? Most people have, and I'd bet pretty close to every Wallaby player has. Technically they're breaking the law.

They're not breaking criminal code. An offence like that is the same as a parking fine or speeding fine. Trespassing is not.

Anyway the problem I have with this is that he purposely used his profile as a rugby player during this, he tweeted the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.