• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pocock Arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bobby Sands

They're not breaking criminal code. An offence like that is the same as a parking fine or speeding fine. Trespassing is not.

Anyway the problem I have with this is that he purposely used his profile as a rugby player during this, he tweeted the whole thing.

Are you blokes serious? Of course he did, that's the whole point.

Coal is something that he obviously is very passionate about. Rightly so.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Pocock has put up a very lengthy statement on his blog:

davidpocock.tumblr.com

Leaving aside his inconsistent use of punctuation, the blog confirms that he has been issued with an ARU breach of the Code of Conduct: that is to say - his behaviour breached his agreement with the ARU.
That was conscious and deliberate.
In fact, therefore, he's fence sitting or hedging his bets: he takes their money but breaches the Code of Conduct he agreed to abide by.
And for all the bush lawyers on here he's approbating and reprobating.
That's all- Rule 10.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The ARU would be secretly relishing this....

It's the best publicity they've had since......?

That's not true at all, for all the one's supporting him there's plenty condemning him for getting arrested. There's a reason sportsmen should stay out of politics, I can't imagine sponsors too happy with his involvement.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's not true at all, for all the one's supporting him there's plenty condemning him for getting arrested. There's a reason sportsmen should stay out of politics, I can't imagine sponsors too happy with his involvement.

Based on the social media feedback, those condemning him form a very small, almost silent minority.............

D

daz

Based on the social media feedback, those condemning him form a very small, almost silent minority.....
I'm condemning him. Whether I am in a minority or not doesn't worry me.

One more offence against the code of conduct and he should be sacked.

But he won't be, and he knows it as well as the ARU does.

These blokes should try working in the real world, where actions have real consequences.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)

These blokes should try working in the real world, where actions have real consequences.
Nah, he's got at least another 4 offences to go, if Beale and Co are anything to go by.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I am surprised that nobody has yet taken the obvious bait and raised the fact he is just in alternate training mode and doing his job as an on ball 7. He unfortunately was caught slightly offside. Move on nothing to see here. The opposition didn't even get a shot at goal.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

Do you really think Pocock didn't know that there were consequences? For some people who participate in these matters there is the weighing of risk and reward.

So he's been arrested, has he been charged? From what I understand there wasn't a court order against him so at worst he might cop a fine. That's a consequence that you or I would probably cop as well if we were in the same situation

What consequences are you expecting him to suffer?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Just when I think I've read the weirdest thread on here along comes the next one.

If we had 23 blokes the caliber of Pocock to play for the Wallabies, the game would be in great shape but for some reason (that is lost on me), some of you are saying this is has brought the game into disrepute and worse.

I was going to try and write something eloquent and carefully make my point that you are wrong but instead I'll just say, you should probably pull your heads out of you collective arses, take a breath of fresh air, call it David Pocock and find something else to be deliberately argumentative or get all self righteous over.

I don't think a single person has argued the legality of what David did, and I doubt even he would. Yes the ARU have hit him with a CoC breach but I am certain they would be patting him on the back behind closed doors.

Clearly what he did, broke the law and he will be duly punished. Big fucking deal. There isn't a list of laws that it's ok for Wallabies to break but to call for his head for this is just pants on head crazy. Let's just sack every player that goes 3km/h over the speed limit or jaywalks or burns a mates CD shall we? Please.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Love your work David Pocock. It is people like you that will cease Australia further tumbling into the social gutter. Good on you David Pocock on following your moral compass to the point of meaningful action rather than faceless pissing, moaning and hot air on the internet without the courage to reveal your true identity.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
As he said in his blog: he's hesitated before. But this time he saw an opportunity.

As a person, and someone desiring a planet for my kids to live on, as well as jobs to pursue, I applaud him. The ARU are just going through the motions on this one and by New Year it'll be history.

Pocock has already appeared on TV and campaigned through his social media on various issues. I don't necessarily agree with people chaining themselves to things, but he has the courage of his convictions and considered the consequences of his actions.

And I'd also like to applaud the direct action taken by the mods. Thanks for the laughs - you know who you are.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't think what he did was smart at all. The people who are praising his morals neglect one thing- there are plenty of ways to show the courage of your convictions without getting arrested. There are plenty of ways to protest, to raise awareness of a cause dear to you without getting arrested.

As a potential Wallaby captain, choosing to do something in full knowledge it will get you arrested and charged is a little bit silly. Not career threatening, or brainless, just silly.

I think the sanction was pretty appropriate, and think that if he does it again there should be sterner consequences.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Not sure how many different user names you have been banned on, but either way, I'm sure you are familiar with the process by now. Bye bye again .
But i was just on my way to get my ban pliers (sparkies hammer) .

Reactions: daz

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Surely this thread has reached page 8 only because there is no more rugby till Feb.
A passionate environmentalist chained to a tractor to raise public awareness for a cause he feels strongly about. Never seen that before.
Nothing to see here.
Move on.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Surely this thread has reached page 8 only because there is no more rugby till Feb.
A passionate environmentalist chained to a tractor to raise public awareness for a cause he feels strongly about. Never seen that before.
Nothing to see here.
Move on.

And Pocock seems a genuinely nice guy with an unblemished disciplinary record, and even those who think he's done the wrong thing seem to accept this. Can't see this thread sustaining itself much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.