• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pocock Arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
All laudable and I respect his rights to protest

But I do wonder if another player was protesting for less sexy positions whether we would be all respecting his right to protest as fervently

Like supporting the rights of journalists for free speech (which would cover the shit journalism of Andrew Bolt) to climate sceptics to anti immigration supporters to anti abortion protestors to pro nuclear energy rallies etc etc

My point? it is alway easier to support right to protest when you like what they are protesting for, much harder when you disagree with the posiiton

If a player could show that they had thought through their position and I thought that they were protesting because they believed in a cause bigger than themselves and wanted to see something in our world improved.....no problem.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If a player could show that they had thought through their position and I thought that they were protesting because they believed in a cause bigger than themselves and wanted to see something in our world improved...no problem.

I think this is where our internal bias roles in

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I think this is where our internal bias roles in
why? I don't have to agree with them but I want to see they've exhausted at least SOME time and effort and thought to get to their position.

Which may be why you don't see a lot of this stuff happening from many other sporting personalities....

Sent from my iPhone

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
why? I don't have to agree with them but I want to see they've exhausted at least SOME time and effort and thought to get to their position.

Which may be why you don't see a lot of this stuff happening from many other sporting personalities..

Sent from my iPhone

I tend to agree, but it is more difficult to accept someone's stance even when they have put some time and effort into a position when it is diametrically opposed to your own beliefs

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
B34Ss4HCAAAbMWF.jpg

Source: Canberra Times - http://www.canberratimes.com.au/pho...itics/cartoons/david-pope-20141123-1t3j0.html

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I just wish we would make the headlines for winning rugby games, not for the wrong reasons like Bealegate and Pocockgate

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Poey's statement.

Statement after my arrest for involvement in nonviolent direct action
I will not be answering any questions or doing interviews about my involvement in yesterdays nonviolent protest in Whitehaven’s Maules Creek coal mine, but I am able to share the below. I hope it provides some context for those interested.
Regards,
Dave
“My parents were always clear with my brothers and I when we were growing up that you have to have the courage of your convictions and that when you commit to something you must fully commit. That’s why, this weekend I travelled to the Leard Blockade to meet with farmers, activists and fellow Canberrans who are deeply concerned about the expansion of the Maules Creek Mine in the Leard State Forest. A group of us decided to take part in an action that would disable a super digger while we occupied it and raise awareness about the plight of the Maules Creek community, the Leard State Forest, the local Gamilaroi whose country and sacred sites are being destroyed, and all of us who are beginning to suffer the impacts of climate change.”

Read the rest at David's blog

http://davidpocock.tumblr.com/

Just a Grunt

Frank Row (1)
Oh FFS! The offences of entering/remaining on enclosed land carry a maximum penalty of $550. By way of comparison, the max for urinating in public is $1100 or 6 months jail.

The only less serious offence that I can immediately think of is that of climbing onto/into a fountain, which can cost you the sum of $440.

They're not offences of violence, dishonesty or against public order. There's nothing to see here.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Agree totally, nothing to see here.
Compare that to what Beale wrote about his actions.

If I recall, "Da boyz put me up to it. I thort it wud be amuzing get a larf"

Status
Not open for further replies.